News & Rumours: Playstation 4/ Orbis *spin*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any feature getting cut is being cut so something else can make the launch.
A lot of the features will turn up after launch, though they may not show up quickly.

Yeah, and Sony has done an awesome job adding features to the Vita firmware since launch.

Yeah, and Sony has done an awesome job adding features to the Vita firmware since launch.

For someone who does not follow the Vita firmware feature additions, can you indicate if that was extreme sarcasm?

For someone who does not follow the Vita firmware feature additions, can you indicate if that was extreme sarcasm?

Not sarcasm. Since launch they added a Maps app, an Email app, dramatically improved the web browser and made it capable of running simultaneously with a game, added folders, added network streaming of media, added wifi file management, added easy PS Plus save management from individual games, and made controls completely remapable for PSP and PS1 games and many, many other bits and bobs I can't recall off the top of my head.

Thanks for that, Brad Grenz. It sure highlights Sony's proven execution on adding capabilities. Good news for the PS4.

Here's a nice history of Vita updates (from Sony themselves). I think they've done a pretty good job of updates overall. That said, DLNA support is still missing, along with Video Out (VitaTV is not a solution for current owners) and I still really don't like the interface. Since launch, the interface still hasn't grown on me. I've just simply gotten use to it.

They listed DLNA in an earlier set of PS4 slides.

Given that it's already implemented widely on ARM phones, it should be no problem to roll it out on the consoles.

If it's not supported at launch, it's probably a matter of prioritization.

Thanks for that, Brad Grenz. It sure highlights Sony's proven execution on adding capabilities. Good news for the PS4.
I don't think that was ever in doubt. PS3 got some significant upgrades for a few years (until Sony lost interest :p). It just seems odd some of the things that are missing, but it's easy to forget how horribly complex and problem-fraught software development can be, and how just getting a working product out the door in time without any niceties is still quite the achievement. ;)

Cool for impatient people who can't wait few minutes for full install, I don't see any other benefit ...

This background cahching is direct result of the PlayGo system. Same system is used both for PSN and Bluray discs.

I call this win-win for everyone.

Ok, but was it on the 16th? I'd say no, looking at that link suggests it went up on the 28th.

I suspect scf's comment was not in direct reply to yours. News seem to have just broken in that last 24 hours that 1.5 is available online (although not officially yet).

This background cahching is direct result of the PlayGo system. Same system is used both for PSN and Bluray discs.

I call this win-win for everyone.

Play as you download

This feature enables users to play supported digital titles as they are being downloaded. The time it takes to begin playing will vary depending on game data size and network environments, and not all titles will support this feature When a game is purchased, users can start playing after PS4 downloads a portion of the data, while the rest of the game is downloaded in the background during actual gameplay. Games may be downloaded in stand-by mode.

Looks like is up to developers how they decide, if their title will support PlayGo and/or background caching ...

Play as you download

This feature enables users to play supported digital titles as they are being downloaded. The time it takes to begin playing will vary depending on game data size and network environments, and not all titles will support this feature When a game is purchased, users can start playing after PS4 downloads a portion of the data, while the rest of the game is downloaded in the background during actual gameplay. Games may be downloaded in stand-by mode.

Looks like is up to developers how they decide, if their title will support PlayGo and/or background caching ...

Kind of had to be the case. There's no way open world games could support it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back