News & Rumours: Playstation 4/ Orbis *spin*

Discussion in 'Console Industry' started by patsu, Jan 23, 2013.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. patsu

Legend

Makes sense from their perspective !

I doubt making a deal with them will change anything. The same folks will be in charge. They will protect their interests first.

Perhaps inventing a new, more popular sports entertainment format will help. It's probably being done now. ;-)

2. Wynix

Veteran Regular

Has the blue and red Dualshock 4 controllers been discussed? i'm really disappointed with them and if the white controller is as bad... :(

[​IMG]
    "blue" controller, more like standard black with a blue face plate.
    The whole backplate and triggers need to be blue as well, otherwise it just looks terrible.
    Also the touchpad should be blue, there is just way too much black on a controller they are selling as a blue.

The only thing i can accept being black is the face buttons/dpad and the sticks, everything else needs to be the colour they call the controller.

#2862 Wynix, Aug 24, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 24, 2013
  3. Gon0S

Newcomer

I really like DS4 blue and red color controller. In fact it is really nice the way they are actually.

I hate DS3 in blue red, all other colors but white and black.

So you know, it is only about personal opinion...

4. patsu

Legend

I have a feeling those new color options are catered for youngsters. They are brighter.
    Contrast with black to give it a more "organic" profile.

5. onQ

onQ
    Veteran

Have we heard anything new about the secondary chip in the PS4?

it seems to be an ignored subject.

6. BRiT

BRiT (╯°□°)╯
    Moderator Legend Alpha Subscriber

Its an ignored piece because Sony has not said much about it. I'm sure if it had some nice features that Sony would be talking it up. The fact they are not should tell you not to expect anything much from it. It likely just does some minor I/O and security functions.

7. rockaman

Regular

I think the contrast can come from they didn't want to spend money on dying the touchpad... lol.

8. jayco

Regular

http://www.openstack.org/rate/Prese...l-power-sony-s-online-games-for-playstation-4

5-8 November

9. Nesh

Nesh Double Agent
    Legend

What exactly is OpenStack?

10. MrFox

MrFox Deludedly Fantastic
    Legend Veteran

An open source cloud system. Started by NASA and Rackspace. That's why you see rackspace talking a lot about it. It runs on standard x86 hardware, but it's supposed to be a lot of work to setup.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenStack

Seeing Paypal and Ebay switching from vmware to openstack is a pretty big vote of confidence.

And now Sony can say their cloud system was made by NASA and is used by CERN. If I were in their PR team I would say it's a synergistic reconceptualization of best-of-breed space-age technology :wink:

11. Cyan

Cyan orange
    Legend Veteran

12. Tchock

Regular

I don't see how that is a vote of confidence for a framework. Most of SAAS/IAAS' intricacies, as far as I know, are far beyond just the software used.

Dumping VMWare is low hanging fruit- can get really pricey for large corporates who have the expertise to config their own solution otherwise.

13. patsu

Legend

Long term, the color might come off in buttons, triggers, sticks and touchpad areas.

14. patsu

Legend

The more organizations use and contribute to the stack, the more mature it will become.

Other companies will be more likely to contribute the upper layers.

15. RobertR1

RobertR1 Pro
    Legend

Dumping VMware is an expense exercise. Similar to companies even dumping VMware for hyperv.

I might dump them in a couple of years also at my company for the same reason. We are going to be doing internal trials starting q1 2014.

16. tuna

Veteran

Red Hat are investing quite a lot.

17. onQ

onQ
    Veteran

Not expecting much from it but it still would be nice to hear about it.

18. BRiT

BRiT (╯°□°)╯
    Moderator Legend Alpha Subscriber

I'd love to hear more about their security measures too, but it doesn't look like its going to happen before launch.

19. MrFox

MrFox Deludedly Fantastic
    Legend Veteran

Another interview with Mark Cerny. He's mostly repeating all the same things he said before, but there are a few interesting points.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bsl6zmPMje4

Third parties really wanted unified memory, but first parties didn't care as much.

About the memory reserved and stuff reserved for the OS, Cerny said it's definitely going to "evolve". They launch with a fairly conservative approach, and after launch they'll figure out "where they want to go from there".

He said the launch titles are not using any of Sony's enhancements to the GPU, and specifically mention Asynchronous Compute again, which will be a big thing in the future.

They chose AMD over Nvidia because of timing for the availability of their tech, and made a dig at them saying a business relationship requires "everybody to be happy with it".

He once again evaded the question about form factor versus heat (it's less power than PS3, that's why it's smaller, that's it).

About the camera being optional... the basic answer, if devs want to make motion games, they'll make them, if gamers want those games, they'll buy the camera. They don't want to force this business, they just want to be an enabler.

After the launch, he's going back to making games. :smile:

20. Cjail

Cjail Fool
    Veteran

I still would like to know why they are reserving 3GB for the OS, though it's nice to hear that they are "flexible" in that area.
    I don't think that making PSEye optional is the best solution since I really see a lot of potential in that area BUT I have seen much skepticism and hate towards motion controls so I understand their point of view.

#2880 Cjail, Aug 26, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 26, 2013
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.