News & Rumours: Playstation 4/ Orbis *spin*

Status
Not open for further replies.
I still can't believe Sony aren't support PSM on their consoles. I was discussing with a dev friend what he's going to do next, and he's getting a PS4 devkit, but to me it seems the market for creating a PS4 exclusive is so small compared to other platforms (mobile, developed on Unity, is very cost effective) that it's poor economy, other than being one of a few fish in the new pond. If there's nothing at Gamescom, I can only considered PSM exclusive and undeservedly niche. Incidentally, Unity isn't ready for PS4 development, but it will be. I'd target mobile+maybe PC first and port to consoles myself.

I still can't believe Sony aren't support PSM on their consoles. I was discussing with a dev friend what he's going to do next, and he's getting a PS4 devkit, but to me it seems the market for creating a PS4 exclusive is so small compared to other platforms (mobile, developed on Unity, is very cost effective) that it's poor economy, other than being one of a few fish in the new pond. If there's nothing at Gamescom, I can only considered PSM exclusive and undeservedly niche. Incidentally, Unity isn't ready for PS4 development, but it will be. I'd target mobile+maybe PC first and port to consoles myself.

I suspect PS4 games can be distributed over Gaikai automagically. If so, it will also depend on Gaikai client coverage, game type and network performance.

Actually that's my point...all sides have fans guilty of this platform specific outrage.

That's expected. But it doesn't mean that only PS3 people complained about MS's always online gaming requirements. A lot of MS folks did too.

I suspect PS4 games can be distributed over Gaikai automagically. If so, it will also depend on Gaikai client coverage, game type and network performance.
Gaikai is a very different proposition from local small apps as PSM is aimed at. If Sony's intention is Gaikai, PSM is effectively a dead-end and devs should work on PC games that get streamed everywhere. I don't think that'll happen for a long time yet (mobile internet can still be very expensive, so streaming casual games instead of a 69p/$1/free outright acquisition of Plants Versus Bejewelled Zombies is consumer unfriendly) meaning there's still value in local apps, which is where PSM comes in. I think PSM is a good idea in principle but its execution is lacking. Sony haven't followed up on promises of new devices supporting it (ASUS was supposed to be releasing PSM support. Hasn't happened AFAIK). To attract developer support, Sony already have a large install base. I don't understand their reasoning. Minis show they appreciate the value of cross-device compatibility, as does Cross Buy initiatives.

This GamesCom is going to be important for me to gauge Sony's future direction. I don't think they're going to be doing anything radically different despite a number of unique opportunities. Although that's getting OT, so I'll shut up now. ;)

Yes. PSM is somewhat too little, too late. For cross platform mobile game/app development, we already have many established tools. e.g., Unity runs on PSM devices too: http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/189075/

Perhaps they should rip out the PSM "interface builder" tool and let the users themselves build simple utilities together. ;-)

TOKYO, Aug. 20, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. (SCEI) today announced that the PlayStation®4 (PS4™) (CUH-1000A series) computer entertainment system will launch on November 15, 2013 in the Canada and U.S., and from November 29, 2013 in Europe including Australia, Austria, Belgium, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Ireland, Italy, Luxembourg, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Russia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, and the United Kingdom. The PS4™ will also launch in the following 10 Latin American countries on November 29: Argentina, Brazil, Chile, Colombia, Costa Rica, El Salvador, Guatemala, Mexico, Panama and Peru

Bit slow guys, yes it's not made in America, and?

E-mail from Amazon.de...

"PlayStation 4 - Konsole"
Voraussichtliches Lieferdatum: 30. November 2013 - 02. Dezember 2013

Me = Happy

Yeah it seems kinda silly to have a seperate event from TGS before TGS if they aren't planning on launching relitively soon in Japan at least if not some parts of Asia as well. Hopefully we'll get some Japanese launch window titles as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lately TGS hasn't been much for announcements, it's usually so the general public can get their hands on games and systems that have already been announced (usually in Famitsu in the weeks leading up to it).

It actually makes sense for Sony to have their own conference ahead of time so they can make sure people are getting in line at TGS to play something other than just the 3DS. ;)

They say they will break the Japan announcement into 2 events, TGS and 9/9.

I just remember Hirai also needs to review if it's good for Sony to split into 2 entities, electronics from the media.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-...s-preliminary-talks-for-web-based-pay-tv.html

looks like more discussions are happening with content providers.....

The juicy tidbits make it seem like it won't be any sort of deal over what existing cable/satellite providers would offer. Which is a real shame, but what I expected out of existing media content owners.

An Internet TV provider would have to pay as much or more than cable and satellite services, President John Skipper said today at ESPN’s campus in Bristol, Connecticut. He declined to specify the companies ESPN has spoken with.

Walt Disney Co.’s ESPN is the most valuable channel on pay TV, garnering the highest subscriber fees of any basic cable network, according to researcher SNL Kagan. Photographer: Jonathan Alcorn/Bloomberg

A Web-based service would have to buy “the whole suite of products,” Skipper said. “We’re not going to offer one-offs.” The network includes the flagship channel, plus others such as ESPN2, ESPN News and mobile applications offered to existing pay-TV subscribers.

Talks with alternative TV providers are exploratory and any new platform would have to offer a package of channels comparable to what other operators provide, according to Chris LaPlaca, a spokesman for ESPN.

To get deals done with ESPN and other networks, the new providers will have to guarantee minimum subscriber numbers and pay the associated fees even if fewer viewers sign up, David Bank, an analyst at RBC Capital in New York, wrote in an e-mail.

The juicy tidbits make it seem like it won't be any sort of deal over what existing cable/satellite providers would offer. Which is a real shame, but what I expected out of existing media content owners.

The devil will be in the details but for someone like me, the ability to pick up a sports package even at 30 or 40 bucks a month would be a better value than paying for hundreds of cable channels I don't use. The only thing we use our satellite programing for is PBS kids and soccer. My wife occasionally watches the cooking shows but her real interest are movies and Netflix is a good solution for that.

IMO if Google, Sony or MS make a seriously play to get sports broadcast on their platform(s) it will be a game changer.

I'm actually somewhat surprised Google hasn't started producing their own version of CNN, with the amount of data they have access to they could easily build out a 2 hour show every day that talks about current events around the world and highlights news stories in the world of technology, social media, business and politics. The format that HP uses now with their video bloggers could be sufficient if they wanted to keep cost down. The quality of the guest and discussion is actually more important to viewers anyway.

They could even allow that content to be re-streamed off of Youtube so you're not wasting space locally to host anything. Google already occasionally gets some sports events on Youtube but its restricted by country but you can see where they could be headed. Store the content in the cloud and provide access thru small cheap devices connected to the internet. They can control the ads better than cable and even do a better job tailoring them to the profile of the viewer.

Last edited by a moderator:
Their reluctance to change proves one thing to me - that they know they're peddling crap, but they make more money from it. By selling a package deal ('all you can eat buffet' made of one small steak and however much soggy lettuce and raw toast you can you), they add 'value' and don't want to break out the content people want to sell for less.
The music industry was guilty of the same with albums, but they've embraced the digital future. The TV networks dragging their feet is sadly poor for the consumers, but short of boycotts and they like, the TV companies won't be forced. Maybe we need someone like Sony or MS to land a landmark deal with one of the content providers to swing the whole industry around?

The only choice we have really is to hugely embrace Netflix and all services like them, and abandon the rest. There's a small chance this can happen actually, because most TV channels make more money from live X-factor/The Voice type shows anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back