FM radio
Mini-SD flashcard slot (2GB capacity)
USB2.0
Bluetooth 1.1
Java
Web browser
Huge, hi-res 212k color LCD
+More...

The design is really cool, using the fairly recent sliding design rather than the age-old "candybar" style or clamshell that tends to make the phone very thick when folded and very tall when unfolded.

The slide action hides the main keyboard and allows the phone to be:
* relatively small when folded up
* show a very large screen without making the phone unwieldy
* have fairly large keypad buttons also without making the phone big

Menu system is pretty good, settings aren't spread out over 15 sub-levels like on my S-E T610. I could whine over that like with so many other phones today, there are multiple buttons to accomplish the same thing. For example, pressing the direction button (which in this phone is a chromed square rather than a joystick or such) up activates the camera. There's also a camera button on the side of the phone.

Furthermore, there's some junk in the phone's flash RAM that isn't deletable. Some themes, internet bookmarks and other crap isn't deletable, including a 34 kilobyte version of the DETESTABLE Nokia signature ringtone that grates more on my nerves than the crazy frog ever did. I'd shove a steinway concert piano up that composer's bottom if but I had the opportunity. ...Sideways, even. :)

There's also an undeletable stupid java introduction animation that's more like a commercial than anything else squirreled away on the 64MB flashram card that comes with the phone as standard. I plan on murdering it as soon as I get myself a mini-SD to fullsize SD adapter to stick in my PC's multiformat reader...

Including a flashram card is very nice even though it's not enormously big perhaps, especially considering there's not all that much memory in the phone itself, only 10MB internal flash and some of it is reserved for above mentioned crap like I mentioned.

I haven't really tried surfing and such yet, but I guess I won't use it all that much, because it's still pretty expensive. Price is more than US$.5 per megabyte last time I checked, and though one would have to work to download multiple megs, it's still rather obnoxious IMO. The camera is...well. It's a phone cam. :D It makes 1600*1200 pics (so not quite 2Mpix), but the image quality is pretty rotten, at least indoors. Dark areas are very noisy and the sensor lacks in dynamic range. The image also isn't the sharpest ever, but this is likely in part because of the undoubtedly QnD JPEG compression the image is put through when saving. Otoh, who the heck expects miracles here really? It sure beats the crap out of the 160*120 or whatever pixels my T610 camera produces, both from a resolution and quality point of view.

I dunno the quality of reception; a 3G base station was recently mounted very close to where I live so I get full signal strength (5 bars) on my new phone, much better than with the old T610 which limps along with 3 bars on a really good day, and usually 2 or even one. Then again, the antenna in that model is known to be crap...

Very satisfied so far. Guess I have to wait and see until I get a chance to really use it if the impression lasts. :)

Anyone know of any good java games/proggies n such compatible with Nokia phones?

Wow! So um.... are you able to make like... phone calls and stuff on your new video camera? ;)

I'm j/k, I'm jealous. :p

Here's my phone, it can't hold a charge with shiat!

Last edited by a moderator:
try to download and install DOOM .. its fun! :)

i had a nokia 6600 symbian os'd phone

Nice features, but I frankly hate the slide design. I really enjoy clam shell phones, and I dont mind them being a bit thick when folded or long when open, in fact I like my cell phones to be slightly wider and slightly longer, they feel higher in quality and also I hate the fact that when using a cell phone it feels like I'm talking into the air.

Back