New volumetric fogging demo

I'm getting 12FPS @1024x768 0xAA and 7FPS @1280x1024 4xAA
- 6800GT 84.43 drivers/ default settings

Impressive effect Humus. This is the best looking fog I ever seen since Quake 3. I still wonder why the great looking and atmospheric fog in Quake 3 was never seen in other games or even Doom 3 and Quake 4. :(

Impressive effect Humus. This is the best looking fog I ever seen since Quake 3. I still wonder why the great looking and atmospheric fog in Quake 3 was never seen in other games or even Doom 3 and Quake 4. :(

You mean the stuff up to waist level (as seen in one of the demo runs)? Wasn't it also used the same way in RtCW, in the zombie/crypt sections? I thought it was cool too.

Yeah, that is the fog I mean. It could have been used a little in Castle Wolfenstein indeed. But I haven't seen it being used alot. A shame, because it gave a great atmospheric feeling to environments. Just like volumetric lighting in Unreal 1. Never seen it used in other games even in followups to Unreal. :(

What would you mean with that?
Crap, Jawed neg-repped me for my comment so I better explain!

No longer (ever since Humus joined ATi) knowing whether Humus' work on his demos have anything to do with how ATi's DevRel may or may not market certain features/technology for released or yet-to-be-released ATi hardware and coupled with my opinion that while this looks great its usage performs sub-optimally given its visual impact, I was simply saying I don't want this to appear in any game, not anytime soon anyway.

I probably didn't think through before replying because game developers won't implement anything even if pushed hard by any IHV if the end results aren't justifiable enough. Sorry!

I get lower performance in this demo with the forceware 93.71s that were posted yesterday than with the 91.47s I had.
Anyone else seeing this?

Back