New Radeon 8500 and 9000 Demo from ATI

fire.jpg

There you go ;).

I saw those running on the Mobility 9000 last night. Got to chat with Jason Mitchell for a few moments as well; I asked if the fire was procedurally generated and he said that although he wasn't sure (he'd only recently found out about the demos) he though there was a base texture but the fire was animated by some generated 'noise'.

I don't really see what's interesting about it...just the same old reflection (doesn't even appear to be refraction, let alone fresnel...) we've seen time and again. The fire may be interesting, but only if it's precedurally-generated. Then again, the original Unreal had fractal-based fire...

Sorry, didn't notice the mobility part.

Anyway, it's nothing that impressive, as far as demos go. It's just what should be expected from any DX8 part.

I have not seen any demos besides ATI's that does impressive water effects..meaning the water blurs the object below the water..

Doomtrooper said:
I have not seen any demos besides ATI's that does impressive water effects..meaning the water blurs the object below the water..

One of the first demos for the original GeForce did proper reflection, refraction, and even fresnel (per-vertex, I believe...it used lots of tris for the water...).

I don't think it did it in realtime, but it did do it (i.e. the reflection/refraction cubemaps were pre-calculated, and were not changed from frame to frame). If ATI's demos are the only ones you've seen doing impressive water effects, you apparently haven't seen nVidia's demos.

How would you know Chalnoth, I've owned Nvidia products and saw their demos, you continue to blow smoke up everyones ass as you have not seen ATI's..

Come back after you own and Tried a ATI product, that should be somtime ohhh in the next century... :LOL:

How this thread got hijacked into a demo (*cough*phallic) comparison based on a still screen shot, I don't know. I somehow think the idea was to do something cool for the 9000 Mobile chipset launch, it being the first DX 8.1 laptop chip ATi has produced and all (and apparently the first to market), and that it was neat to have another demo out there to be appreciated since by some mysterious circumstance none of the demos that came before disappeared as a result...seems like a net gain to me...

I don't think they claimed they were doing anything new with DX 8.1 in the demo, other than running it on a laptop. :rolleyes:

But, atleast I got a neat little demo to play with out of it, thanks Russ.

Beyond proper reflection, fresnel, and refraction, the only thing remaining for proper water rendering is effects due to lights being reflected/refracted.

Granted, I cannot be certain if the effects that I've seen for fresnel and refraction have been as accurate as they should be, but they didn't look too bad to me.

If you're talking about the demo with the boat and the lake the reflection and refraction maps were actually updated perframe while the camera was being moved and a key (c comes to mind, don't know why) made the updates every frame even when the camera was still.

It ran at about 20fps though when the maps were updating except in one version of the creative drivers (either the 2nd or the 3rd they released) where it ran very smoothly on nvidias reference drivers of the same version though it didnt.

The water didnt look too realistic though due to over done reflection and refraction.

The 3rd party reflection pool demo (the one with the sparks and stretchy light) that nvidia used for the gf2 release looks good.

Now we've even NVidia demos vs ATi demos flames? :LOL:
get a life ;)

The Radeon M9 looks quite cool, a laptop with DX8 heh.. i want...

I"ll have to apologize, I didn't mean to hijack a thread. For some reason I was compelled to counter the statement Doom made about "first demo with proper reflections/refractions".

For the record, if I were to buy a $2000 laptop, I'd probably look for one with a M9000. (Though, from experience, a laptop that has a 15" screen is the last thing you want on your lap on a airplane, especailly one with a 90 minute battery life. I'd find something in the $1000 range with a 13" screen)

Back