New Qualcomm silicon for new Surface May 2024

When the M1 came out there were reviews and other videos showing the M1 vastly outperforming Intel on various apps and other benchmarks, getting much better battery life.

Presumably we will see something similar on Windows devices with the Qualcomm SOCs.

But how much better performance and battery life given the price? Windows market is more value-driven so if these ARM AI PCs carry a big price premium, they may take awhile to take off.

Maybe banking on the AI hype to drive sales more than the performance and battery.

Maybe banking on the AI hype to drive sales
AI hype is just a sticker to put on box. Sales teams love that, i'm sure.

Consumers won't be as naiive though as to care for that.
I guess some of us will be manipulated by FOMO. But even then, if one's afraid their new shinny PC won't do AI, they can easily wait for AMD/Intel's versions to pick the most suitable device.

I think the market for very good battery life Windows laptops is seriously underestimated. While it's easy to say "just use a Macbook if you want better battery life" there are many people who can't or aren't willing to do so, and they are willing to pay a premium for that. I think the first batch of these Snapdragon X Elite notebooks are priced as such, and they are still at the same or lower price range than similar Macbooks.
The most important factor remains to be seen is its performance running x86 applications. People will be comapring its performance (both speed and battery life) running the applications they want to run. It's also much harder for Microsoft to convince software vendors to port their applications if Windows on ARM remains a much smaller market. This is very diffferent from Apple because Apple already announced their plan to migrate the entire product line to ARM. This made the deicision to port their software a no brainer for software vendors.

If they made it work with stable diffusion, it could be a boon, and people may be buying it as cheap SD PC, depending on the price and memory size.

As NVIDIA gpu is very vram limited. Albeit the super lines are helping with bringing 16GB

I think the market for very good battery life Windows laptops is seriously underestimated. While it's easy to say "just use a Macbook if you want better battery life" there are many people who can't or aren't willing to do so, and they are willing to pay a premium for that. I think the first batch of these Snapdragon X Elite notebooks are priced as such, and they are still at the same or lower price range than similar Macbooks.
The most important factor remains to be seen is its performance running x86 applications. People will be comapring its performance (both speed and battery life) running the applications they want to run. It's also much harder for Microsoft to convince software vendors to port their applications if Windows on ARM remains a much smaller market. This is very diffferent from Apple because Apple already announced their plan to migrate the entire product line to ARM. This made the deicision to port their software a no brainer for software vendors.
Is this really such a concern anymore ?

I don't know the last time I was anywhere that didn't have some sort of power I could plug into. Every trip I've taken via air in the last 6 years has had outlets , every airport and hotel have outlets, my car now has an outlet and the bright line in florida that I use sometimes has outlets.

My surface pro 9 has usb c so I can even charge off a battery bank if I need too.

The majority of my co workers that have mac books still plug in every chance they can get .

Is this really such a concern anymore ?

I don't know the last time I was anywhere that didn't have some sort of power I could plug into. Every trip I've taken via air in the last 6 years has had outlets , every airport and hotel have outlets, my car now has an outlet and the bright line in florida that I use sometimes has outlets.

My surface pro 9 has usb c so I can even charge off a battery bank if I need too.

The majority of my co workers that have mac books still plug in every chance they can get .

It probably depends on where you go though. I personally also always keep my Macbook Pro plugged in, but I rarely bring it outside of my office.
My friend on the other hand loves to work in cafes and he likes to keep everything light so if possible he'd love to left the power brick and cables at home. However, his Thinkpad, with upgraded 4K screen, drains the entire battery after something like 4 hours. He's now very interested in the new Thinkpad T14s.

It probably depends on where you go though. I personally also always keep my Macbook Pro plugged in, but I rarely bring it outside of my office.
My friend on the other hand loves to work in cafes and he likes to keep everything light so if possible he'd love to left the power brick and cables at home. However, his Thinkpad, with upgraded 4K screen, drains the entire battery after something like 4 hours. He's now very interested in the new Thinkpad T14s.
Not sure of all cafes. By me most have charging areas. even a lot of the starbucks by me have them now. I also always have a charging puck + usb c cable so i can charge my phone so my surface can also be cahrged.

But I guess if you are in a cafe for more than 4 hours and no charger.

Very exciting times for for PC users, it's going to be super competitive and hopefully will mean some amazing advances
Microsoft the most valuable company in the world, and Nvidia the second. Beyond some people having a heart attack because of unhappiness, and knowing that it is basically due to cloud and AI with their corresponding bubbles, it is something that denotes health in PC gaming, that two companies so closely linked to PC gaming are doing so well.

Back