New name for "hackers"

Frank

Certified not a majority
Veteran
As nowadays everyone calls script kiddies and crackers "hackers" (yeah, right, but it is no use explaining anymore), it might be a good idea to think of a new and better name for real hackers.

Suggestions?

i think it'd be better just to call script kiddies and crackers

"annoying bastards"

solves all the terminology problems

dummies.jpg

digitalwanderer said:

Well, yes, but you know that's not what I mean.

How many people here actually know what a hacker is? Or, looking at the responses, who thinks "hackers" is what you call everyone who misbehaves with computers, talks and writes garbage, and is probably not older than about sixteen years?

DiGuru said:
who thinks "hackers" is what you call everyone who misbehaves with computers, talks and writes garbage, and is probably not older than about sixteen years?
That ain't my definition of "hacker"; that fits fine under "cracker", "script-kiddy", "damned idiot", or any other of those type of labels.

A "hacker" to me is one who likes to play with/tinker with hardware/software. Not for any real reason other than curiousity and the challenge of doing it.

That's not a good definition really, but it's kind of close.

digitalwanderer said:
DiGuru said:
who thinks "hackers" is what you call everyone who misbehaves with computers, talks and writes garbage, and is probably not older than about sixteen years?
That ain't my definition of "hacker"; that fits fine under "cracker", "script-kiddy", "damned idiot", or any other of those type of labels.

A "hacker" to me is one who likes to play with/tinker with hardware/software. Not for any real reason other than curiousity and the challenge of doing it.

That's not a good definition really, but it's kind of close.

Yes. Hackers are meant to be the very best at doing stuff like that. They build all the operating systems (but probably not Windows anymore), microchips, e-mail, the internet and all that.

Like this. And instead of "H4x0R1nG for Dummies" (which is about as stupid as you can make it), this would be a better "How to".

Otherwise, it would be like calling all really stupid people "president", because everyone thinks that's what that description means...

rusty said:
i think it'd be better just to call script kiddies and crackers

"annoying bastards"

solves all the terminology problems

While I totally agree, that won't happen. 99.99% of all people nowadays think those are called "hackers", together with the leet dudes and all the other annoying people you encounter on the internet.

DiGuru said:
While I totally agree, that won't happen. 99.99% of all people nowadays think those are called "hackers", together with the leet dudes and all the other annoying people you encounter on the internet.

bah..... they make internet funny ;)
just look at some posters here..... :LOL:

silence said:
DiGuru said:

Good point :LOL:

That makes me wonder: I guess there are more real hackers hanging around here than on most other sites. Would that be something nice for a poll?

DiGuru said:
silence said:
DiGuru said:

Good point :LOL:

That makes me wonder: I guess there are more real hackers hanging around here than on most other sites. Would that be something nice for a poll?

start the poll ;)

Back