new London attacks?

Diplo said:
However, if it's the same homemade explosive as the previous attacks then it's supposed to be extremely volatile, so why didn't it go off?
Inept copycats perhaps. Might not be the same people behind it - especially if the original perps blew themselves to bits.

All worrying.
Definitely. Someone can cause major mayhem in a city as large as london with these small incidents if repeated every now and then. It would definitely make an impression in the overall UK economy before long if this continues...

Guden Oden said:
Diplo said:
However, if it's the same homemade explosive as the previous attacks then it's supposed to be extremely volatile, so why didn't it go off?
Inept copycats perhaps. Might not be the same people behind it - especially if the original perps blew themselves to bits.

The problem is their chemist is in Egypt, so they had to use some amature to mix this batch of explosives.

All worrying.
Definitely. Someone can cause major mayhem in a city as large as london with these small incidents if repeated every now and then. It would definitely make an impression in the overall UK economy before long if this continues...[/quote]

Actually, London is probably one of the cities that would be least affected by attacks like this. The IRA has been blowing up bombs for so many years that the London population is widely desensitized to them.

Powderkeg said:
Actually, London is probably one of the cities that would be least affected by attacks like this. The IRA has been blowing up bombs for so many years that the London population is widely desensitized to them.

Err... Do you live in London?

Let me tell you, people are not desensitised to bombs. It just doesn't happen very often, since the last IRA bombing was ages ago.

We're very sensitised in fact, just as sensitised as anyone else going to work and risk getting blown up for no reason.

It might be a big city, and people love to show how this doesn't affect them, but hell it does.

london-boy said:
Err... Do you live in London?

Let me tell you, people are not desensitised to bombs. It just doesn't happen very often, since the last IRA bombing was ages ago.

We're very sensitised in fact, just as sensitised as anyone else going to work and risk getting blown up for no reason.

It might be a big city, and people love to show how this doesn't affect them, but hell it does.

Have you ever lived outside of London?

Do you have any idea how much sheer panic an attack like this would have in the US? Did you know that New York considered shutting down it's subway system the day of the first attack in London? Police were put on busses in Denver, Dallas, Kansas City, and several other major US cities that day. Do people in Kansas City actually believe there will be a coordinated terrorist attack against them because a few bombs blew up half a world away? Sadly, yes.

In London, it's a shock to people, no doubt, but you do not get the incessant, unreasonable level of public panic that other major cities do.

maybe it were dummy explosives.... just to show they can do it again.... and again...

this might be more a psychological attack then real one. in first one they showed the bodies, now, 2 weeks later, they show they can do it again... and they will prolly make demands with "or else next time....." ending.

i think its even more worrying if they are playing this game, that would prolly mean they have at least one or two intact cells ready for action....

Powderkeg said:

Yes.

Do you have any idea how much sheer panic an attack like this would have in the US? Did you know that New York considered shutting down it's subway system the day of the first attack in London? Police were put on busses in Denver, Dallas, Kansas City, and several other major US cities that day. Do people in Kansas City actually believe there will be a coordinated terrorist attack against them because a few bombs blew up half a world away? Sadly, yes.

In London, it's a shock to people, no doubt, but you do not get the incessant, unreasonable level of public panic that other major cities do.[/

Well that's just americans being their usual over the top selves. Doesn't mean London people are desensitised or don't panic with this kind of thing.

Powderkeg said:
The problem is their chemist is in Egypt, so they had to use some amature to mix this batch of explosives.
Seriously its not hard. Pour A into B add a little C shove it in the refrigderator. Strain/filter off the solids.

london-boy said:
Powderkeg said:

Yes.

In London, it's a shock to people, no doubt, but you do not get the incessant, unreasonable level of public panic that other major cities do.[/

Well that's just americans being their usual over the top selves. Doesn't mean London people are desensitised or don't panic with this kind of thing.

as i said, they might be playing "look, we can do it again game".....
that means they have more cells ready (if true).

not to mention possibilty they are just checking response times and evacuation routes for something really nasty....

:?

Hmmm... the reports I've heard sounded like when the guys back-pack exploded he shouted something, like shock or disappointment.

If it does turn out to be a cell of the same overall organisationas the previous attacks, there's suspects to be caught with valuable information in their heads.

silence said:

not to mention possibilty they are just checking response times and evacuation routes for something really nasty....

You might be right, but i dont think its likely. The chances of getting caught are quite high and it could lead to arrests of higher ups. /shrug We will find out soon enough.

epic

epicstruggle said:
silence said:

You might be right, but i dont think its likely. The chances of getting caught are quite high and it could lead to arrests of higher ups. /shrug We will find out soon enough.

epic

its just possibility, but they did show they can do it again.... even if they screwed up explosives...

also.... you never know what higher-up plannned, they might have told the bombers that bombs are real.... after all, suicide bombers are expandable... :devilish:

The BBC's Andrew Winstanley said devices had been found but appeared to have been dummies, containing no explosives.

worrying.... if they are really showing off then that usually means they have something bigger in mind, they wouldnt risk getting their people caught if there isnt something bigger going on....

This whole thing sounds like politically involved kids trying to play the big guys. I just hope they get caught and spend their whole lives in jail, then in hell. All of them. Whether they killed or hurt someone or not, it's the thought that counts.

The fact that things went wrong just makes them stupid, not less guilty.

Anyone willing to blow people up in the name of an invisible friend needs to go to hell, or to their invisible friend, very fast.

Gotta agree with everything LB said. They played with explosives even if these were supposed to be fake bombs they deserve to go down for a while.

london-boy said:
This whole thing sounds like politically involved kids trying to play the big guys. I just hope they get caught and spend their whole lives in jail, then in hell. All of them. Whether they killed or hurt someone or not, it's the thought that counts.

The fact that things went wrong just makes them stupid, not less guilty.

Anyone willing to blow people up in the name of an invisible friend needs to go to hell, or to their invisible friend, very fast.

agreed. but as i said, this might be some sort of test and show off.... thats the scary part...

Then you wonder why people elected Hitler...

Sometimes i feel like a mass deportation would work wonders. Though creating 1000x more issues obviously. And i'm quite moderate. I can't think what more radical brits would think in times like this.

Whilst this incident is not at all funny I still found this statement (as reported on BBC site) caused a wry smile:
There were reports a memo had been circulated to staff to look out for a 6ft 2in black or Asian man with wires sticking out of his top.

Back