New Killzone Info!

Ons::lob::

Newcomer
http://www.gamespot.com/news/6162365.html?tag=latestnews;title;1

Not alot of new stuff but still interesting.

Gamespot said:
The Volksrant article also confirmed suspicions that Killzone will have downloadable content via the PS3's online PlayStation Store. "The Killzone that is in stores is only the beginning," promised Brussee. Though the developer did not go into specifics, the newspaper mentioned that new "chapters" will be downloadable, raising the prospect of episodic content.

Downloadable content. Neat.

I wouldn't count on it given they're a totally unproven developer.

It'll probably look amazing, but I have my doubts about the quality of the game. They've never even released an 80%+ game...

It'll probably look amazing, but I have my doubts about the quality of the game. They've never even released an 80%+ game...

Well, I understand your point, but in all fairness, Killzone: Liberation on PSP got more than 80% on both GameSpot and IGN (83% and 90% respectively).

Sony Worldwide sudio are unproven? Anyway, they are smart enough to bring other skilled developers into the development team to overcome any weakness in their track record.;)

Well, I understand your point, but in all fairness, Killzone: Liberation on PSP got more than 80% on both GameSpot and IGN (83% and 90% respectively).

It averaged just a hair under 80%, but ya it's a start. Stil though, they don't exactly have AAA written all over em.

Dunchan25 - I said developer not publisher, and I'm refering to Guerilla Games.

well here is how i feel about all things Playstation and Killzone. They set a high mark, caused a huge storm, followed by a rather lethal shockwave. So they better be pumping money into the project like its going out of style to get as close to what that CGI promised or they know its going to blow up in their face with a load of comments from reviewers around the globe if the game were subpar.

Sony cannot afford to let the title fail or they'll become a further laughingstock.

Its a little comical actually. Sort of like watching a crew bailing out a boat Sony built in the middle of a hurricane.

They are also outsourcing to a number of small developers, specifically working on graphical research for the title.
I wouldn't be surprised if we see, say, halfway decent (static) global illumination from KZ3.

120!! Wow, I'm sure that doesn't cause any scheduling issues.

You can bet when your team reaches that size somethings not going the way they want.
It would be very interesting to see the break down. I really hope they are predominantly art side.

Not really surprising actually. IIRC there were about 70+ people working on killzone "3" before liberation was released. And after it was out, most of the team moved over to the ps3 killzone. 120 sounds about right. Anyways, I wouldnt call Guerilla an unproven developer in any light. I'd say Liberation is one of the best psp games out.

120!! Wow, I'm sure that doesn't cause any scheduling issues.

You can bet when your team reaches that size somethings not going the way they want.
It would be very interesting to see the break down. I really hope they are predominantly art side.

120 isn't all that many for a modern AAA title at a large developer.
I've worked on bigger teams, IME large teams are usually a recipe for technical mediocrity, because communication issues start to dwarf all other problems. Mythical man month and all that.

Even if the game is crap it's still going to get 95% or more from IGN and Gamespot if it looks anything like the trailer they showed (or better as Phil Harrison was trying to make out)

Not really surprising actually. IIRC there were about 70+ people working on killzone "3" before liberation was released. And after it was out, most of the team moved over to the ps3 killzone. 120 sounds about right. Anyways, I wouldnt call Guerilla an unproven developer in any light. I'd say Liberation is one of the best psp games out.

That's not very comforting. I'm sorry to crush any ones hopes, not none of the Killzone games up to this point have anything to write home about. While generally "nice" that is all they have been, that's really not enough compared what this title has to do.

No matter what though, it'll never reach where the first CGI movies they showed, neither in gameplay or graphics. Its rather sad they gave this game such a terrible base to be put on.

Even if the game is crap it's still going to get 95% or more from IGN and Gamespot if it looks anything like the trailer they showed (or better as Phil Harrison was trying to make out)

Not necessarily, Killzone 1 was an impressive looking game, but the gameplay was lacking so points were deducted as expected. That said, Liberation is both great on graphics and gameplay so it seems Guerilla is taking note of things.

That's not very comforting. I'm sorry to crush any ones hopes, not none of the Killzone games up to this point have anything to write home about. While generally "nice" that is all they have been, that's really not enough compared what this title has to do.
No offence, but I take it you never played liberation or it just wasnt your cup of tea? Personally I'd recommend anyone with a psp to buy it. Truly a great game, although short on the sp side. Killzone 1 on the other hand, pure rental. (although it shouldnt be much more than 10-20 bucks these days) :LOL: My point is, after liberation, although while not perfect, I wouldnt say Guerilla is unproven. Unproven would kinda suggest they havent made a good game yet, while liberation is easily good if not great.

Last edited by a moderator:
120 isn't all that many for a modern AAA title at a large developer.
I've worked on bigger teams, IME large teams are usually a recipe for technical mediocrity, because communication issues start to dwarf all other problems. Mythical man month and all that.

I'm not suggesting that a 120+ team is not unusual, but that it generally reflects a troublesome project. Exceptions exist and obviously depend on how you define the team, as you know team lines can be blurred.

Of course the break down of project members is the big if. Art tasks generate much fewer dependancies and scale much better that engineering resources.

the largest team I have worked on is 90 (not including engine, tools etc) and it was not a pleasant experience (50 engineers). If you don't like meetings don't join large teams.

Currently working in a team of 25 and it's a dream :)

The frustraing thing I find is that our industry still believes that general principles of project management and HR do not apply.

Not necessarily, Killzone 1 was an impressive looking game, but the gameplay was lacking so points were deducted as expected. That said, Liberation is both great on graphics and gameplay so it seems Guerilla is taking note of things.

The origonal Killzone wasnt released when the system was fresh, it was a title launched 4+ years into the consoles life so why would the review be effected with uba-graphics syndrome? After that long of a time games actually get rated 95% on their gameplay, which killzone lacked. Games that launch when they look just dead sexy compared to everything else out there get a substantial boost in reviews and will continue to. If they can hit a 2-3 year launch window into the consoles life the graphics will still look fresh and impressive if it looks like that CGI.

No offence, but I take it you never played liberation or it just wasnt your cup of tea? Personally I'd recommend anyone with a psp to buy it. Truly a great game, although short on the sp side. Killzone 1 on the other hand, pure rental. (although it shouldnt be much more than 10-20 bucks these days) :LOL: My point is, after liberation, although while not perfect, I wouldnt say Guerilla is unproven. Unproven would kinda suggest they havent made a good game yet, while liberation is easily good if not great.

Or it just wasn't that great in my opinion? Sorry, but your first tactic was to say I had not even played it or that it wasn't my cup of tea. That's really not the best of ways to defend a game you're calling great. While it was a nice game, it wasn't great.

Back