New glasses

hoho

Veteran
After 6 or so years I'm in need for upgraded optical system :) Current ones are at -1.5, new ones will be -1.75. As in previous ~18 or so years I have yet to break any of them I think it's quite safe to assume the new ones will last me for years as well so it wouldn't hurt to get the best I possibly can.

Problem is I have absolutely no clue what's actually actually out there. I vaguely remember reading something about some snowboarding glasses that had the feature of projecting some performance data (speed, height, decline, ...) on the inner-side of the glasses and I was wondering if something similar is perhaps offered for regular glasses as well? I'm biking around a LOT and it would be quite awesome if I could throw together a bit of software that would send some data from my cellphone (or to-be-created custom biking computer :p) to the glasses.

I was gonna recommend against progressive lens bifocals as they laser etch stupid numbers onto the things, but aside from that I ain't got much.

I gotta get a new set too. My old one broke and the set I have are a few years out of date, and I just became eligible under our insurance for a new pair.

-6.75 or so here.

I ended up getting some random glasses with plastic lenses that have anti-reflection and that go darker in UV light ( = sunglasses-like). For some weird reason it was not possible to get both darkening lenses+scratch-resistant cover, it was only one or the other. Then again considering my last ones weren't scratch proof either and they haven't had any damage in years I guess it won't matter to me.

Also, they didn't offer glasses with built-in display screens unfortunately. Maybe next time in a few years :(

Too late for you, but a change from -1,5 to -1,75 is not worth it imho. Difference is too small, and it has been scientifically proven that too strong lenses makes your eyes worse, whereas lenses slightly under your measured strength tend to keep your eyes at the same strength possibly even your whole life. After noticing fluctation at various stores (and also due to tiredness), I decided to basically take everything at the first measured strength now 18 years ago and stick to it, and so far that's worked out great. For full disclosure though I have to point out that when I got my first glasses at age 19, I probably had needed glasses all my life. I was shocked at the kind of sight you were supposed to have, and suddenly understood why my reflexes and hearing were so much above average. ;)

There are perscription glasses with built in display ? I sort of given up on glasses, I had like 20-21 glasses from when I was 15 to 18 years old. Either broke or lost them. So I've given up on them. But what's this built in display ?

Difference is too small
With my current glasses I can't properly see people's faces before they are just a few meters from me. With the new ones I'll see them clearly across the street. The difference is HUGE. To be honest I was fully expecting I'd need something like -2.5 or so considering how bad my vision was with the old glasses, I never knew just 0.25 can make that big of a difference.
it has been scientifically proven that too strong lenses makes your eyes worse, whereas lenses slightly under your measured strength tend to keep your eyes at the same strength possibly even your whole life
Only thing I was told was that my eyes will likely get tired more easily behind monitor as they will make the visible text a tiny bit smaller than old glasses and will thus need a bit more "work" to read. If things get bad I can always just use my old ones behind PC and new ones while outside.

Though I wouldn't mind seeing some links to those researches.

I've had -1.5 vision from around the age of 12 (first glasses at 14 but I knew my vision was bad before that) to at least around 22-23-ish when I got my previous glasses. Now at 26 it's -1.75. I guess unless my vision changes more in next 4-6 years I'll just get someone to carve chunks out of my eyeballs with lazers and ditch the glasses. One of my relatives got her eyes from -8 to not needing any glasses a few years ago that way but before I do it I'd like to be somewhat sure that my vision isn't changing too much over the years :)

V3 said:
There are perscription glasses with built in display ?
I was hoping there was but apparently there isn't (yet). There are some things that put a little projector infront of one of your eyes and project images directly inside your eye but that's not what I wanted. I wanted something like this but in far smaller package.

Laser is definitely tempting, also for me, though it is not always possible. I haven't checked, but my wife has and the shape of her eyeballs makes her unsuitable. Could be the same for me, I once heard mine are shaped more like a rugby ball than a soccer ball.

Are you sure it's just the strength that changed, and not the cylinder? I have a cylindrical deviation in both my eyes, and they make as much of a difference as the lenticular one (if that's what it's called). Also makes it so that I can't have really cheap lenzes.

The normal strength of the lens is diopter ... lenticular is more related to cylindrical deviation when talking about eyes.

Are you sure it's just the strength that changed, and not the cylinder?
I'm not quite sure what it means either but I do know that while both eyes are at -1.75 then my left eye has -0.5 cylinder and 175 degree axis, whatever these mean. The left eye has always been worse for me but this is the first time I have (slightly?) different lenses for each.

Do eye focusing excercises for a few months...it will get your vision back to 20/20 or even better. I can't say if it will work for you but it worked for me. My prescription were -3.5 for both eyes and I was eligible for Lasik. I ended up doing the eye excercises for a couple of months just to see if it would work for me and it did. All natural and cheaper than Lasik, and zero risks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back