New DX10 demo

Humus

Crazy coder
Veteran
I'm back from my 6 month idle period in the demo coding department. :) Actually, the last month or so I've been coding like crazy, but it took a while to add DX10 support, especially since I had to redesign my framework a bit to make it fit all APIs.

Anyway, what I'm showing now is the use of SV_VertexID and SV_InstanceID to procedurally create stuff in the shader. The particle systems are generated entirely in the vertex shader from these two values. There is no vertex buffer. In fact, nor is there for the terrain or the skybox. The terrain is represented with a BC4 texture (ATI1N), which makes it very compact (4 bits / vertex).

inferno.jpg

Available at the usual place

Very nice. I was planning on reinstalling Vista tonight (grabbed some new hdd's yesterday) so i'll give it a shot later :smile:

I have a request Humus :D

The main thing about dx10 was that it was very efficient (especially with draw calls) with very little overhead and therefore faster than dx9 so you can add more stuff

can you make a quick demo showing hw much faster dx10 is than dx 9 ?

I'm getting a "this application failed to start because its side-by-side configuration is incorrect" error.

8800GTS 320MB
Forceware 162.22

Works fine for me on my 2900XT (Vista 64-bit:Cat 7.7) I don't know if it's the cause/solution or not but the only time I saw the "this application failed to start because its side-by-side configuration is incorrect" error was when I tried to run a CPU optimized build of Firefox and forgot to install the MS Visual C++ 2005 SP1 redistributable package.

For those of you having trouble running it, try installing the MSVC redist Red Herring linked to. Let me know if it helps. This is the first app I'm building with MSVC 2005. Earlier I used MSVC 6.0 for everything, which always just worked. MSVC 2005 seems to work under the assumption that applications are always deployed using a fullblown installer.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a request Humus :D

The main thing about dx10 was that it was very efficient (especially with draw calls) with very little overhead and therefore faster than dx9 so you can add more stuff

can you make a quick demo showing hw much faster dx10 is than dx 9 ?

That's on my "ideas" list.

Davros gives Humus a big girly kiss :D

all the games that are dx9 + dx10 dont appear to render the same thing (better lighting, more objects ect) so you cant make a comparison.

Back