New chipset advice

poopypoo

Veteran
Hey, one of my mobos recently fried, and I'm curious about replacements. Thing is, I haven't been keeping up with times and dunno what's what anymore. This is a mATX pc that is primarily a movie box. So, it needs to have a solid video chipset, for now, and a full pci-e slot just in case we feel like pc gaming/emulation on the big screen in the future. My budget for cpu+mobo is usually ~$200 usd, but thats flexiblish. Any input from yall pros? I dont feel like slummin it today! ;)

Ha, of course I've heard that there was news on this front, from both camps, i just didnt realize any of the news was good yet! Reading up reading up, always reading up...

You don't even need that powerful for just a movie box. Is this for a htpc only? I tested a 1.6Ghz E-350 Asus ee box over the weekend and with DXVA2 it gobbled up everything I could throw at it. 1080p high bitrate content with 30-40% cpu load. It even streamed it over wireless from my WHS without a hitch.

You can pick up a motherboard/cpu combo miniITX or mATX for $100-120.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131697

The Full PC box I tested, for under $400 for the full system with Windows
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883220072

I agree in theory, but theway we go through computers in this apartment, I'm more comfortable building every box more or less the same. mATX with standard sized fans n power supplies, eerything with multimonitor out and pci-e x16 potential. So of anything breaks, the old new pc becomes the new "htpc" and i only lose a tiny bit of functionality for a few days. The boxes are big but i can hide em well enough behind the xbox360 ;)

The motherboard I linked is mATX and is one of the only larger E-350 motherboards available, most are miniITX. It has pci-e x16 and multi-monitor out already. If you're going to use it for gaming at all then obviously you want something a lot more beefy (like the Llano's you are speaking of).

Yeah, meeting your requested featureset is right down the middle of things that Llano was "born to do." For that workload, you could get a great deal on an A8 series CPU and you'd love it.

In another thread I've been talking about doing eval work on an HP box with an A4-3300 processor -- it picks up a pretty solid 4.5 WEI score, which is amazing (IMO) for a box at this price point. I have my own issues with it for reasons unrelated to your needs, so it probably won't work for me. But for what you're doing? It should be a slam dunk. :)

Back