Need some help if possible?

Fuz

Regular
Hi, let me start by saying sorry, I know this is the wrong forum to post this on, but seeing that this is the most popular forum I thought I would try my luck.

I am building a system, well just getting new motherboard, CPU, ram, and video card. What I need advice on is the Motherboard, ram and cpu.... I know what vid card I will buy.

I have been an overclocker for a long time, had my diamond monster 3d running at 57mhz instead of the stock 50! I still have a PII333 running at 400mhz on an Abit BX6 that my brother uses. I am still a bit of an Abit fan.

The problem is that I have lost touch with the latest in motherboards, cpu's etc.... Would any one here be kind enough to advice me what I should buy?

I want to go with AMD... so whats the best mother board (for overclocking) and cpu? Also what ram should I get? Crucial? Corsair... whats the dif between PC-2100 and PC-2700?

I don't want to do any sort of extreme overclocking, but enough to make choosing quality parts worth while.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

Fuz

Well I would suggest the ABIT KX7-333R if you like Abit boards

Abit
kx7333r.jpg

or the Epox 8K3A+

epox8k3aplus_full.jpg

Can't go wrong with either...

Ram you want a good quality DDR 333 setup so I would stick with Kingmax, Mushkin or Corsair...which can be found at any online shop like..

http://www.crazypc.com/products/memory/memory.htm
http://www.mushkin.com/cgi-bin/Mushkin.filereader?3cfb71a4056fd4c42740c0a80102069f+EN/catalogs/5384

Nerver use cheap OEM branded ram if you want stability and overclocking..Mushkin even puts heat spreaders on for you :)

CPU well might as well go right to the big guy, AMD Athlon XP 2200 @ 166FSB as AMD just slashed prices..if you want a bit cheaper processor go with a Athlon XP 2100 and overclock it..

BTW make sure you invest in a Good powersupply... Enermax , Antec..etc...

Hope this helps

Thanks Doomtrooper. I think that Abit board is looking good.

Wich would you guys choose, if given the choice between the two, crucial or corsair ram? See, I am in Australia, and good ram is hard to find.

Also, are there any good sites that has info on overclocking the XP? I have found a lot of info on overclocking the old T'birds, but not much on the new XP's. I am curious what sort of an over clock I will get (with in reason) from a 1900xp CPU. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Fuz

Corsair will overclock better but Crucial is quality stuff (I'm using it with this machine) and overclocks OK as well.

Actually about the solteks...

Well they seem to be fine boards at stock speeds or tweaked...they haven't been known to overclock fsb-wise very well. The latest one for amd kt333 has a sure overclock function...there was a review at hardocp
that helps ensure a safe overclock...I think it may use the ondie temp guage for xp
Epox or Abit for the super overclocked fsb... The abit kx7-333 is better than the at7max though it doesnt have all the goodies and features.
The MSI and Asus perform well but there fsb overclockability I dunno about...they do have neat features.

If ya want to also, you could try to unlock the xp with an unlocking kit...check out crazypc since I know they have them
The Samsung ddr seems to overclock well as far as ddr ram...
And gets some good cooling for any amd processor...they run fairly hot.
Newegg is a pretty good place for selection and price as well.

Back