Need help buying a new monitor

Fu3lFr3nzy

Regular
Since im being snubbed over @ the GS forums, I thought of posting it here and asking you kind folks on what your opinion is on this:

Myself said:
So I finally caved in and decided to purchase a new monitor because im seriously way outdated with this CRT and the general feeling is making me dizzy compared to LCDs, so I went and surveyed 2 Similar Monitors in Newegg, and basically I need help determining which one would be better.

Monitor #1:
TFT LCD Panel
1000:1 Contrast Ratio
16.2 Million Colors
WSXGA+

Monitor #2:
Active Matrix, TFT LCD Panel
800:1 Contrast Ratio
16.7 Million Colors
WSXGA
----------------------------------

Basically I just noted all the features that both models differ at. The rest is pretty much the same with each other. I just wanted to know will that extra 200:1 contrast ratio make the difference? will the lack of .5 million colors show on videos or games? is Active Matrix important enough that I should always purchase a monitor with one? And finally, does the "+" in the WSXGA make a difference aswell?

Sorry for asking too many simple questions -_- , but I just want to make sure I purchase the right monitor instead of testing and ending up returning the product :(

Thanks in advance for the help, if any :LOL:

Yes, the contrast helps.

What's the native resolution for both monitors?
higher means sharper images but smaller text in some applications. Also, if you want 3D higher means you need a more powerful 3d card.

What's the response time (lower means less ghosting with fast moving things on the screen)?

What's the viewing angle?

Yes, the contrast helps.

What's the native resolution for both monitors?
higher means sharper images but smaller text in some applications. Also, if you want 3D higher means you need a more powerful 3d card.

What's the response time (lower means less ghosting with fast moving things on the screen)?

What's the viewing angle?

My post included the link to the specs ;) , but since you asked so nicely :D :

Maximum Resolution: 1680 x 1050 | 1680 x 1050
Recommended Resolution: 1680 x 1050 | 1680 x 1050
Response Time: 5ms (GTG) | 5ms
Viewing Angle: 160°(H) / 160°(V) | 176°(H) / 176°(V)

Left side being the 1st monitor, and Right side being the 2nd :smile:

Is there any way of knowing? :eek: aside the "supposed" 16.7m of course ;)

Some research on the type of panel being used. The cheaper one is a TN panel, 6-bit only, rather poor viewing, and these tend to have (but its not exactly a trait of being a TN panel) back light bleeding. The supposed 16.7m could be some type of xVA panel, they are usually true 8-bit, better viewing angles, but tend to have worse response times (also, ghosting is really in the past, its more of after glow is the big issue these days).

Even then, xVA panels are not always "clearly" superior to TN panels, on the other hand IPS and S-IPS are (though around 3x the price for the same size) and look just amazing. TN is very acceptable to many people (a I find a solid TN panel just fine for myself, for example).

Ah, thanks for the info :smile: .

I guess ill dig a little deeper to find more info about these monitors, though if all else fails, ill have to fork out a little more $$$ to get a much better quality monitor :D

According to Wikipedia, WSXGA is 1440x900 and WSXGA+ is 1680x1050.

Fyi many 6 bit panals are being listed at 16.7M colors because they use better dithering (hi-frc) so you can't rely on that anymore.
You have to do some research on it, which shouldnt take too long (5-10 minutes).

I have the original version of this lcd.. It's very good imo - if you are after a 4:3 ratio. (or 3:4 portrait :p ). Dells are pretty good for their price too.

Basically with lcds, you get what you pay for.

Thanks for the replies guys :D .

Yeah Bludd, I was also pondering on a 24" LCD Monitor, but at this time with those prices, ill wait just a little longer to own one :LOL:

And I really want a WS Graham ;) , simply because of all this "HD" phenomenon going on.

I tried watching HD movies in a 4:3 aspect ratio, and its definately a different vibe :oops:

Definitely stay away from the 6 bit panels that use dithering. Most LCDs are better noawadays though in most departmetnts, such as wide viewing angles and response times. I bought a Dell 27" a year ago and it is perfect in my opinion.

The ones suggested in this thread seem like good deals, and the ones you mentioned have acceptable timings, although I doubt they are actually 1000:1 on contrast.

LCDs I consider a mature technology today, for the most part. Find what you like in your price range and it'll be good :p.

The vast majority of panels are 6-bit. Nearly every 19" widescreen is a TN panel, all of the 22" are TN, most of the 20" are TN, etc. Only to the high end do you find S-IPS and IPS panels (sorry, but I'd personally rather have an TN over an xMA panel). There has yet to be an 8-bit TN panel, all of them are 6-bit. Also, for a look at prices the only guaranteed S-IPS 20" is almost $550, then Dell has one that is a lottery for $350 between IPS and MVA, with most current being MVA.

My personal thoughts on TN panals (having a dell 22") is that in general they're perfectly fine, the main deal is that the verticle viewing angle sucks bad, so if you're the type of person who likes to lean way back in your office chair you'll either stop, or calibrate the monitor so at your viewing angle it's some what more accurate.
If I'm gonna lean way back I actually adjust the gamma a bit using a test pattern so at the viewing angle I'm at it's pretty good :LOL:
Blacks are also frankly horrible, on my dell 22" there is huge black crush, it all turns a light grey.
I couldn't pass up the price though, and the size is nice.
I came from a sony 17" trinitron btw.
Aside from viewing angle the only thing I liked about the monitor was the good black level/detail.
I dont do photoshop work so color accuracy is good enough with the calibration settings I use.

BenQ are good but pricey. I just can't get away from Dell myself. Dell provides excellent monitors at reasonable prices. That 27" that came out recently is a fair deal.

Back