Need for Speed: "Ultimate" Which way should it go?

Pick the best game(s) to be used for inspiration for the next-next NFS

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

TheChefO

Banned
With this series, there have been many changes of direction philosophy and implementation. Which game(s) in the series would you most like to see them use for direction on the next (next) NFS? What features added/removed/changed & Why?

Last edited by a moderator:
If I had to choose I would want a NFS: U type game, with much more advanced tuning simulation. Almost turn it towards a sim game (at least with respect to the tuning), then if they could create a real city with a wide variety of missions/shops places to visit, that isn't completely dry like NFS:U2 I think they could have something cool.

The key though, would be making the city feel alive, and having truly diverse missions and characters to speak too. Would also be pretty cool if you could build up your driving skills (RPG style) by doing side missions/challenges, it would be more realistic that way, a rookie driver couldn't handle 600hp if he tried, and would have to build up his character in order to realistically be able to handle that sort of power.

I think there's some potential in a concept like that.

Porsche Unleashed!

One of the best racing games I have ever played! Contained an excellent selection of cars with limited uprgrades, dashboard views and a garage that allowed you to open the doors, trunk and hood of each car.

Verdict?

Well it looks like we have two main standouts in this franchise that should be used to dictate the direction of the next installment of this series. :D

NFS 1 the original

and

NFS Porsche Unleashed

Obviously this is a very limited sampling but it should be somewhat representative of the desires of NFS fans. Why are they not listening? :mad:

NFS 5 Porsch Unleashed.
It's the only game that's somewhat realistic.
NFS underground and everything after that is the biggest piece of crap racing game I have ever played.
But I guess the ricers buying those games like it that way.

Any of them besides the Underground and Most Wanted. The recent crop of Need for Speed games make me sick.

Never played a NFS game, except one on PC which ran on my PII 300MHz, 128MB RAM, some Ati Rage card.
That was nice enough, but I rather played Midtown Madness at that time.
As is today, there's tons of better car games than NFS, so I see no point in investing my time on them.

But if I had to pick some, I think I'd pick a NFS game with long tracks across varied scenery and none of those pimped up rides.

Fork in the Road

There seems to be two distinct camps here. Those that are striving for realism/semi realism and those that are striving for arcade type gameplay.

The original nfs was targeted at realism and at the time was the best of the best. It was targeted at recreating the driving experience of taking out these coveted exotic cars out onto the open road and racing against other exotic cars while dodging traffic situations and the occasional cop (realistic).

This has since been twisted into closed tracks (which are by default not realistic and should not include traffic at all), unrealistic handling/physics, unrealistic police behaviors, unrealistic characters, and cars which are not exotic.

These new tangents of nfs are abusing the name of this franchise to sell titles that don't fit the original intent. I like that they at least gave the series the subtitle of "underground" but now we seem to be riding off on another tangent with "most wanted" and who knows what this new nfs will bring but from what I've seen it doesn't look like the original intent of the game.

When will we get a proper NFS sequel!!!?? Oh and btw bring back R&T for the authentic spin on the game. :D

Early NFS games I only played demos of. They were kind of gimicky.

I loved NFS3 - graphics were respectable for its time. Environments were really great. And running away from cops was fun.

I loved NFS Porsche unleashed - I still have it installed on my PC. Graphics were gorgeous , compared to other NFS games this was practically a sim

NFS Undergroud 1/2 were very arcade'ish. But compared to the turds that came after NFS Porsche, this was a turn in the right direction. Opening up the world was a good idea.

NFS Most Wanted I still play. It's arcadish' but not as bad as NFSU. And the graphics are damn good. I would say the best looking driving game on the PC right now if you have a high end rig.

Looking forward to NFS Carbon. I think they are on the right track and that series can only get better.

Well, it seems pretty obvious that NFSU was basically the unofficial game of The Fast and the Furious. Now that the movie craze is over (the frequency of seeing Civics with cheap body kits seems to be going down, thankfully), they'll do something else with the series. Like, for instance, they could run it into the ground by releasing a new game every 10 months.

The reason I played NFS before was for the exotics, the latest ones don't have any of those, so I don't really enjoy them. Although, I did play NFSU, and it was fun for what it is, but it should not have been part of the NFS brand. If they had simply called in "Underground" or something, it would have made more sense.

If they are going to make a new NFS, it should be a real NFS, with crazy exotic cars. If they want tuning aspects, then have it so you can construct your own exotic-class vehicles. Instead of having the "Obnoxiously Ricer" body with the "Glowing Red" brakes and the "Compensation" spoiler, have the "Carbonfibre Monocoque" body with the "6-Piston Ceramic" brakes and the "Venturi-Effect" spoiler system. I think that would make for a much more enjoyable experiance.

Back