Need for Speed: "Ultimate" Which way should it go?

Pick the best game(s) to be used for inspiration for the next-next NFS

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
DudeMiester said:
The reason I played NFS before was for the exotics, the latest ones don't have any of those, so I don't really enjoy them. Although, I did play NFSU, and it was fun for what it is, but it should not have been part of the NFS brand. If they had simply called in "Underground" or something, it would have made more sense.

If they are going to make a new NFS, it should be a real NFS, with crazy exotic cars. If they want tuning aspects, then have it so you can construct your own exotic-class vehicles. Instead of having the "Obnoxiously Ricer" body with the "Glowing Red" brakes and the "Compensation" spoiler, have the "Carbonfibre Monocoque" body with the "6-Piston Ceramic" brakes and the "Venturi-Effect" spoiler system. I think that would make for a much more enjoyable experiance.

NFS Most Wanted has "exotics". It was split half/half between riced out stock cars and actual sports cars. Bellow is the full car list.

* Aston Martin DB9
* Audi A4 3.2 FSI quattro
* Audi TT 3.2 quattro
* Audi A3 3.2 quattro
* BMW M3 GTR

* Mercedes-Benz SL 500
* SL65 AMG
* Mercedes-Benz CLK 500
* Dodge Viper SRT10
* Fiat Punto

* Ford GT
* Ford Mustang GT
* Corvette C6
* Corvette C6.R
* Cadillac CTS

* Pontiac GTO
* Vauxhall Monaro VXR
* Cobalt SS
* Lamborghini Murciélago

* Lamborghini Gallardo
* Lotus Elise
* Mazda RX-8
* Mazda RX-7
* Mercedes-Benz SLR McLaren

* Mitsubishi Lancer EVOLUTION VIII
* Mitsubishi Eclipse
* Porsche Carrera GT
* Porsche 911 Turbo S
* Porsche 911 GT2

* Porsche 911 Carrera S
* Porsche Cayman S
* Renault Clio V6
* Subaru Impreza WRX STi
* Lexus IS300

* Toyota Supra
* VW Golf GTI

Depends on your definition of "exotics", but from that list, I can only see about 2 that would meet that definition, that being the Porsche Carrera GT and the Mclaren Mercedes SLR. I guess one could also include the Lamborghini's to the list of exotics though..

Phil said:
Depends on your definition of "exotics", but from that list, I can only see about 2 that would meet that definition, that being the Porsche Carrera GT and the Mclaren Mercedes SLR. I guess one could also include the Lamborghini's to the list of exotics though..

Aston Martin DB9
Mercedes-Benz SL 500 / SL65 AMG
Dodge Viper SRT10
Corvette z06
Lamborghini Murciélago
Lamborghini Gallardo
Lotus Elise
Mazda RX-7
Mercedes-Benz SLR McLaren
Toyota Supra
Porsche Carrera GT / Porsche 911 Turbo S / Porsche 911 Carrera S
Porsche 911 GT2
Porsche Cayman S

By my definition I'd classify all of the above as Exotic Cars. (where's the nsx?)

To me it is a car designed from the ground up for exotic performance. Some in the original list are traditional sedans or coupes which are then tuned for performance but in my mind that is just a tuned car and does not qualify, as any car on the market can be tuned for performance. But when one is designed from the ground up for performance it has the potential for greatness.

The bigger issue though isn't what cars are included. It's what depth is there for each car and how deep is the experience outside of the vehicle itself? This is where nfs seperated itself from the crowd and is now being swallowed up by the croud. What's amazing to me is nfs was originally on 3do. That is efficient coding!

Then that just confuses me. Why bother with the ricers at all, if you're going to have exotics? They are so much better then them it's absurd. If they jacked up the ricers to be competitive with them, which I suspect, then it's extremely arcadey. I have Trackmania Sunrise for that though. In any case, if they still have a few ricers, but include the Koenigsegg, I'll be satisfied.

I would still really enjoy a game where I can create/tune custom exotics from the ground up, but they have to look exotic, you know, streamlined. Maybe even have a mode where I can sculpt my own basic body shape, like how Spore does, then test in in a windtunnel simulation.

Also, they must have solid online play of course. Something quick and easy like Trackmania, where you can piece together your own tracks, although without as much craziness.

Last edited by a moderator:
I accidentally voted for Hot Pursuit 2 and then saw Hot Pursuit 1.....oops. :smile:

I think the games should go the way of the original Need for Speed games. I disagree that they were simulations primarily for the facet of what the gameplay entailed. They reminded me a lot of Outrun at the time. Large open roads with exotics and sports cars that while they controlled very well it wasn't a simulation because the focus was on arcade style gameplay.

I don't consider a Dodge Viper, Chevy Corvette, or Toyota Supra to be exotics as they really are just sports cars. The Viper is an expensive sports car, but a sports car none the less. Lamborghinis, Ferraris, and some Porsches are exotics. They have the performance, looks, and the prestige to be considered. But these are just opinions.

I would love to see more sports cars and exotics in a new Need for Speed game in the old style of play, and not anything to do with economy cars. Sports cars and exotics only, with maybe the occasional sedan that really is a sports car with 4 doors. GT cars are more than welcome too.

Sonic said:
I disagree that they were simulations primarily for the facet of what the gameplay entailed. They reminded me a lot of Outrun at the time. Large open roads with exotics and sports cars that while they controlled very well it wasn't a simulation because the focus was on arcade style gameplay.

I don't know if I agree with this. Was it their aim to have arcade style gameplay? Or was that a limitation of the hardware at the time? Remember, NFS1 was developed on 3do. At the time I can't think of another console racer that was more realistic. By todays standards it seems lacking, but I think their aim was to be as realistic as possible. No I agree some of the air you could get in that game seemed rediculous but then I've never taken a Lamborghini 200+mph over a 50ft hill to see what would happen. :D

Regardless I agree they need to get back to the roots of nfs1! Even a remake on todays hardware would make me quite happy! (but that would be a bit of a waste but still!)

Whether it was a limitation of the hardware at the time or what they truly meant...do you really think it was meant to eb a spot on simulation? Maybe it was, but what they were simulating is something drastically different than what Polyphony set out to simulate with their Gran Turismo series.

On a sidenote, I've never taken a Lamborghini up a 50 ft hill in excess of 200 MPH either, and I don't recommend anyone do it either. Even doing that at 100 MPH would be crazy, bu maybe I'm a little crazy.

Sonic said:
Whether it was a limitation of the hardware at the time or what they truly meant...do you really think it was meant to eb a spot on simulation? Maybe it was, but what they were simulating is something drastically different than what Polyphony set out to simulate with their Gran Turismo series.

On a sidenote, I've never taken a Lamborghini up a 50 ft hill in excess of 200 MPH either, and I don't recommend anyone do it either. Even doing that at 100 MPH would be crazy, bu maybe I'm a little crazy.

Agreed but polyphony was developing GT for years. And that was years after they were honing their skills with Motortoon GP and motortoon GP 2(great import game fyi which had an unlockable groundworks of what would become GT). NFS 1 was developed on 3do and ported very early on ps1. If memory serves it came out roughly six months after ps1 hit the market in the us. and GT hit at the end of ps1's life cycle and was one of if not the most impressive title to hit the system.

3D0 NFS was definitely aimed more towards the simulation side and was probably at the time the most sim like console game.

You only have to look at the handling of the cars and how they differ. Most have mild under-steer and lift-off over-steer, with the Porsche 911 having A LOT of lift off over-steer while the 4wd Diablo just seemed to under-steer for Italy (not sure if this is what it is really like?). This just goes to show the devs were trying to capture the realism as much as possible by trying to accurately depict each of the cars. The cars also had a great sense of weight and inertia which ment yoy would have to begin executing manovers well in advance when at speed (just like real life). This was in contrast to the lightening quick responses of the likes of Ridge Racer where you could change direction at virtually any speed like your car was a slot racer. The graphics were very realistic for the time also - and the crashes were spectacular, it must have also been one of the first racers with a replay function?

I also played the PC and PS versions at the time and i seem to recall they were slightly more arcady, didn't they also have 3 extra tracks (circuits) and a horn button?

Last edited by a moderator:
Ah the memories... Too bad I haven't been able to get NFS:SE to work on one of my newer XP PCs... :cry:

It's funny - the reason why I ever bothered with NFS was because I was looking for an alternative for Ridge Racer. The playstation had just become popular and my parents refused to buy me a PlayStation so I asked around for a worthy alternative on PC. The suggestions were few and simple: Bleifuss and Need for Speed. The choice was simple and rightly so.

Sonic:
I agree that NFS perhaps didn't exactly have the same goal than the Polyphony set out to achieve with Gran Turismo - what did make the NFS series so great was the perception while playing the game made you believe that you were playing a simulation. I guess driving up a hill at 200mph an hour can even be achieved in GT (as long as you are prepared to take the consequences for it) if the player wants to...

Another aspect of NFS that I loved was that you were driving on populated roads with traffic and that the car was able to lift off - opposed to GT that just made crashing your car even more unspectacular since they wouldn't lift off the ground and just stop dead at a wall. Maybe I am looking through overly nostalgic glasses here on this one - but NFS did many things good that just about every game today does wrong. As graphics become more realistic, I wonder if car manufacturers will ever allow the kind of gameplay we enjoyed 10 years ago. It's already apparent they are against seeing their cars get smashed up or to even remotely have their cars compared to one another in a video game and costing them potential buyers as a result.

Back