Need an advice.

rainz

Veteran
Hello,

i want to upgrade my RAM .. my comp is listed in the signature and should i upgrade upto 1GB 333mhz or .. it's better to upgrade with 400mhz even with only 512 .. ( dunno i'm not so familiar with mem. issues .. Is it true about the fact i'ts useless to use DDR faster than your FSB ? )

And i'm trying to understand to ...

why in 3Dmark03 i do around 5000 score ..
and why in 3Dmark2001 i do around 12k~13k only ... ??

What's the best upgrade i can do.

Thx

RainZ

I can see in the drivers the freq clock ( enabled with NVhardpage )

2D: 300 core / 700 mem
3D: 390 core / 700 mem

Is it normal the freq arent the same for 2D and 3D ?

I know that's a lot of questions but thx all

RainZ

re the clockspeed thing--yes, NVIDIA cards run at different frequencies in 2D and 3D.

rainz said:
Hello,

i want to upgrade my RAM .. my comp is listed in the signature and should i upgrade upto 1GB 333mhz or .. it's better to upgrade with 400mhz even with only 512 .. ( dunno i'm not so familiar with mem. issues .. Is it true about the fact i'ts useless to use DDR faster than your FSB ? )

And i'm trying to understand to ...

why in 3Dmark03 i do around 5000 score ..
and why in 3Dmark2001 i do around 12k~13k only ... ??

What's the best upgrade i can do.

Thx

RainZ

Well, 3dmark03 score is almost entirely decided by your video card, so to raise it, you'd need a better video card.
As for your 3dmark2001 score, I don't think either memory upgrade would improve it much, but with an nforce2 based motherboard running turbo memory settings I'd say you could get up to 15k. You'd see the biggest benefits with a new cpu, a new motherboard, or a new video card, but even so, you won't see huge increases, unless you go for a new motherboard and new cpu.

The different frequencies for 2d and 3d are probably because they are speeds for different chips. The 2d ramdac is probably clocked at 300 mhz(isn't it about time to move to at least 350?), while the 3d core(the nv3x) is at 390 mhz. Or I could be wrong and that nvidia has some kind of power saving/heat reducing mode in 2d.

If you wanna know whether to go for 1 GB ram or 512 at 400 mhz, I say 1 gigabyte, and then try for more aggressive memory timings. 512 isn't quite enough for the newest games and windows running at the same time. However, if you're planning on upgrading to a 3200+, or an athlon 64, or a pentium 4, I'd recommend going with the 400 mhz ram so that you have 1 less thing to buy.

oh interresting ! Thx

And is it like in the past for the mem. Can i add a 512mb DDR 400mhz for like 2 months and after that i'll add another 512mb DDR 400mhz ..

And while i'm using the 333mhz + the 400mhz mem. the 400mhz will take the speed of the 333mhz ?

Is it still possible ? ( just cause i dont have enough money right now to
buy 1GB 400mhz at the same time )

Thx

RainZ

Back