native resolution 20" & 21"

mito

beyond noob
Veteran
How can a 20" and 21" widescreen lcd monitor have the same native resolution at 1680 x 1050?

Will the 21" monitor look not as good as the 20" one?

Most 22" have 1680x1050 also. It can be bad if you're up close, but if your viewing distance is bad then it comes down to other issues with these TN Film LCDs (for the most part).

Yes, of course.
The same number of pixels in a larger total area means that the individual pixels are larger.

Assuming otherwise equal hardware (screen type, scalers, etc.), the only difference is that the higher the dpi, the further back you'd have to sit to not see the pixel grid. But if you need to sit a certain distance from the monitor, then certain dpis may be more attractive to you (not just in terms of seeing the grid but in terms of, say, pdf text rendering).

Well, I don't know if a higher dpi inherently means greater backlight leak-thru (meaning lighter "blacks," or worse contrast).

Personally I actually prefer a slightly lower dot pitch myself at the same resolution.

It's more comfortable to the eyes to read at 1280 res on a 19" screen than on a 17" screen. In my own opinion anyway. I know nothing of wether this might affect contrast tho. First time I hear even a owrd about that.

Would be interested in knowing wether a 24" widescreen would correspond roughly to a 19" standard aspect screen in height. It's probably simple trigonometry but I am too old and tired to figure that one out on my own.

Peace.

Personally I actually prefer a slightly lower dot pitch myself at the same resolution.

It's more comfortable to the eyes to read at 1280 res on a 19" screen than on a 17" screen. In my own opinion anyway. I know nothing of wether this might affect contrast tho. First time I hear even a owrd about that.

Would be interested in knowing wether a 24" widescreen would correspond roughly to a 19" standard aspect screen in height. It's probably simple trigonometry but I am too old and tired to figure that one out on my own.

Peace.
On a 4:3 screen, the height is 60% of the diagonal while the width is 80% (e.g. a 15" screen is 12"x9").
On a 16:10 screen, the width is 85% and the height is 53% of the diagonal.
On a 16:9 screen it's 87% and 49%.
For 5:4 it's 78% and 62.5%.

More details needed for the final answer. Is your "standard aspect" 4:3 or 5:4 (1280x1024 LCDs)? Is your widescreen aspect 16:10 or 16:9?

e.g. 19" 5:4 = ~23" 16:10 for height

This is kinda assuming that a ratio for the resolution is reflected in the physical dimensions exactly....which I guess is a given?

You can try it out yourself with resolutions, just remember that you're getting the diagonal at the end there.

e.g. 1680x1050 (16:10) & 1400x1050 (4:3)

Code:
SD (4:3)

y;
x = 4/3 * y;
z1 = sqrt( 4/3 * 4/3 * y * y + y * y );
y = 3/5 * z1;

-----------------

SD (5:4)

y = sqrt( 16/41 ) *z1;

-----------------
WS (16:10)

z2 = sqrt( 16/10 * 16/10 * y * y + y*y);
z2 = sqrt( 3.56 * y * y );
z2 = sqrt( 3.56 ) * y;

z2 = widescreen diagonal
z1 = SD diagonal

-----------------
WS (16:9)

z2 = sqrt( 16/9 * 16/9 * y * y + y*y);
z2 = sqrt( 337/81 * y * y );
z2 = sqrt( 337/81 ) * y;

z2 = widescreen diagonal
z1 = SD diagonal

**substitute SD formula for y into the WS equation

(I was thinking about this a few days ago, actually, when I was thinking about what HDTV size I needed to properly replace my older SDTV. It's a lot easier on paper. :p )

Last edited by a moderator:
Back