N00b-level hardware modding is kind of fun.

Guden Oden

Legend
The masters rebuild entire cases out of bits and pieces; us ordinary mortals have to make do with lesser accomplishments.

When I got my current box it came with a GF 6800; a competent upper mid-range card at the time (and still pretty strong). It had nice overclock potential I quickly noticed, but was seriously hampered by the terrible fan/heatsink delivered as standard. Not only was it very noisy, cooling was extremely poor as well. Hence, it was quickly replaced with a Zalman VF700 (or so I think it's called; it's the copper flower-thing VGA sink). This did much to improve both temps and overclocking, as well as noise level with the fan running at 5V using Zalman's pack-in power divider.

Lately however I'd been thinking of replacing the Zalman standard 3-prong power connector with the card's original heatsink power cable. It would be a simple matter of desoldering it since I kept the sink in case I needed to put it back for whatever reason (warranty issues, etc). Doing this operation would enable the variable fanspeed feature of more modern NV cards, and considering the Zalman's fan even running full tilt is a much larger diameter and slower spinning unit compared to the dentist-drill-pitched original fan, the added noise would probably not make much of a difference. Particulary while gaming.

So I went ahead and did it. Unfortunately I lacked the neccessary small-diameter starshaped screwdriver to disassemble the original heatsink without damaging it, so I had to use a set of pliers and snip metal and plastic apart to get to the fan. Luckily I already own a smalltipped soldering iron suitable for electronics, so that bit went very quickly and easily. Both fans used the same wiring scheme and coloring, black for ground on the left and red for +12V in the middle (sensor wire on the right, though unused on my NV card so the original cable lacks that wire and is hence just a 2-pin connector), it was a piece of cake really. I also took the time to vacuum out the heatsink thoroughly, as it had been rather badly clogged with dust (responsible for roughly 3C core temp increase over a couple months' time).

I reassembled everything, then powered up my system. Fan started spinning merrily, and speed variation was possible using rivatuner. Still, I suspect the 3D detection will have issues when switching in and out of programs just like rivatuner's overclocking does, so I may have to peg the fan at full tilt constantly to get the full effect, I don't know yet. Still, when sitting on WoW's login screen with a fullscreen 1280 4xAA window, I now get about 71-72C core temp instead of the blistering 89-90C with the fan at 5V...! WoW is particulary bad here, because it loads the GPU highly on the animated title screen whilst not hitting the CPU much, meaning the system intake fan does not revv up much. Hence the high GPU temp. Fan noise increase is almost inaudible when the case is closed back up I might add. The VF700 really rules!

On the whole, a very simple and quite worthwile operation that I thoroughly recommend other Zalman owners perform as well. At least if they possess the required tools and basic soldering skill... Now I will do some experimentation and see if I can push core clock even higher than 420. :D

Congrats!

But why did you go with powering the Zalman thru the card? I always prefer drawing the fans power directly from the power supply so the card has more juice.

I usually splice whatever connector is on the fan into a standard molex and just use that, but with the Zalman and the black/white connectors I just plugged it into the higher voltage one (black) and it runs happy. :)

digitalwanderer said:
But why did you go with powering the Zalman thru the card? I always prefer drawing the fans power directly from the power supply so the card has more juice.
The fan uses such a tiny amount of electricity I really doubt it makes any kind of a difference. The reason I wanted it connected to the card was because of what I stated in the first post, it might have gotten lost along the way I'm not sure (I know I like to write long posts... :LOL:).

Simply put: so the fan can be throttled down during non-3D situations. Though I don't really trust the throttling mechanism, as I've had Rivatuner throttle the GPU/mem clocks when switching back to windows, or when clicking outside WoW's window when running it in windowed mode, and then not throttling back up again when going back into the game. I have to experiment with this a bit I suppose.

This reminds me of the time I removed a clock crystal ocsillator from a PowerVR PCX-1 card and soldered on a sligtly faster one to overclock the GPU. I also installed a fan on the GPU since it didn't come with fans back in the day. Funny thing is the card worked for awhile but then died after a few hours of use. It ran a little faster though according to the benchmarks. :devilish:

I did the PowerVR thing too back in the day, like Star Wars, "a long, long time ago". Had two cards actually, a PCX1 and a PCX2. One of them I successfully overclocked a little, the other I also overclocked, but then killed because I got too greedy when trying out different crystals. Instant screen corruption when I started a 3D program and after that the PC died with a black screen each time I tried to start any 3D app I believe. Was so long ago I can't really remember. I still have the working PowerVR card mounted in my first PC, that or else it sits in the original box in my warderobe.

It didn't go all that well with AMD K6 CPUs, as it required major FPU grunt to run well and the K6 had a pap FPU, but still, I will always have a nostalgic thing for those cards... It was an elegant solution for the time, doing all the transfers over the PCI bus. Oh heh. VIA chipsets sucked with PowerVR coz of the super crappy PCI controller they had back then. I got half the FPS compared to Intel chipset. It got somewhat better fiddling with the PCI latency timer, but never really great.

DigitalWanderer...!

I've been evaluating the fan throttle thing for a while now, and it really does seem to work great. There's a substantial noise difference with the fan running 100% and at 55%. While it is a lot quieter than the original dentist drill, it still has a high-pitched hissing-air sound to it at full speed. Of course, I don't think about it when the game is running because there's music and effects going, but when I quit the 3D app the fan goes at full clip for a little while longer (undoubtedly to cool off the GPU a bit) before revving back down, and in that short moment I sometimes do think about it. Especially when noise suddenly cuts back sharply. :)

So really, you should think about doing this you too. It would do your ears some good I'd think, even if you're not aware of it now...

Back