Myspace prank results in the suicide of 14 year old

The parents certainly tried.

Hindsight is always 20/20.

you don't try for years to lose weight... you either lose it, or you don't...

i would suspect she probably watched a shitload of television... and probably played on myspace waaaay to much while chowing down on KFC. While it is unfortunate people degraded her on the internet, you have to question(as i have) how pathetic american society has become, that you can convince somebody to kill themsevles over a social networking site... one which promotes what exactly? If she was over the age of 16 i would say she didn't deserve to live... but at that young of an age, i give her sympathy.

I'm so sad for this country
http://www.politico.com/news/stories/1107/6892.html

Agree completely.

Same here. Really sad story and just unreal that parents get so caught up in the childish antics of a teenager that they feel the need to investigate what's being said through such means. And then to tell the police you don't feel as guilty as you would otherwise because the dead child had already tried to commit suicide previously. Stuff like that makes you want to believe in karma if you don't already.

you have to question(as i have) how pathetic american society has become, that you can convince somebody to kill themsevles over a social networking site...

I agree with you, either she was on the verge of doing it or she was looking for an excuse to do it and found it. The internet is bad enough, but myspace; she couldnt of picked a worst place looking for general sympathy and caring. That site is nothing more then a superficial hot or not with more words and emo. Whether she was ambushed and tricked is irrelevant, the parents should of noticed how much she, their obviously mentally unsound daughter, was depending on it and put a stop to it BEFORE she could get hurt. From what i gathered both parents had access to the account and were well aware of what she was doing.

Oh really. :| And you don't seem to think depression would get in the way of that, do you?

in addition to the many different medications that are available for depression theres also natural methods, such as daily exercise. I saw neither mentioned. Its not a magical coincidence obesity and depression come together in many cases. Furthermore a 200lb pre-teen is quite incredible and certainly calls for more drastic measures then something like a weekly visit to a counselor. That is a huge danger to your health already without factoring in any serious mental issues.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh really. :| And you don't seem to think depression would get in the way of that, do you?

the article strongly hinted at the fact that...

she was depressed... because she was fat...

i saw a very easy opportunity for her to lose weight... hey you want on myspace, go run a mile, and you can play all you want. Oh you don't want to run a mile, then go read a book, no tv, no computer. It's all parenting. Unfortunately these days, i don't know if children or parents are more addicted to the crap that comes on television. At that age, its pretty sad what happened, especially since it was parents doing it

What a story. Pathetic at what the adults did but also sad at how the girl dealt with it. What is happening with many people these days where we're becoming so incapable of dealing with day to day things. Everything is melodrama and attention whorism these days. I read yesterday this 17yr old kid killed himself over a girl. Didn't get to live long enough to realize what he was feeling was puppy love.

in addition to the many different medications that are available for depression theres also natural methods, such as daily exercise. I saw neither mentioned. Its not a magical coincidence obesity and depression come together in many cases. Furthermore a 200lb pre-teen is quite incredible and certainly calls for more drastic measures then something like a weekly visit to a counselor. That is a huge danger to your health already without factoring in any serious mental issues.

Well, I'm not a doctor, but would you prescribe such medication for a child :?: IIRC there are numerous side effects to the various medications that are around. Would the parents be able to afford it too?

edit: nevermind, found that section.

On the exercise front, sure. She should have had a daily routine enforced by the parents. I don't know their situation exactly (who does?). Did they try a routine for a short time and gave up? What did the parents do with her diet to control the obesity? Even if they made healthy choices for her, that probably wouldn't stop her from finding a way to get her junk food fix.

(I'm finding it difficult to pronounce any sort of judgment beyond the other mother who pulled the prank. I'm not trying to be sarcastic.)

the article strongly hinted at the fact that...

she was depressed... because she was fat...

You said, and I quote:

you either lose it, or you don't...
It's never that simple. That was my main point. Depression and obesity make for a pretty powerful cycle, especially when your pleasure centers in the brain can be stimulated by food. But after gorging on food, the body gets more obese, people continue the remarks, and the cycle begins anew.

One exit is, "I'm going to change myself so that people don't have any reason to make such remarks." Another is to ignore them. The former takes a fair amount of will to go through with, no? Especially with ADD.

She wasn't completely inactive:

But things were going exceptionally well. She had shed 20 pounds, getting down to 175. She was 5 foot 5½ inches tall.

She had just started eighth grade at a new school, Immaculate Conception, in Dardenne Prairie, where she was on the volleyball team.
She talked about suicide in grade 3 -> ~8-9 years old. The article is ambiguous if she was depressed because she was obese. They say she was for years, but preceding that statement it was in the context of her then current age, 13. I don't see the exact "cause and effect" statement. :???: obesity could have resulted from the depression and it would still fit the bill of being obese for years up until 13 years old. Ambiguous.

To be honest I find it almost as disturbing as the story itself to see so many people laying the blaim for this on the kids parents as opposed to the sicko predators that actually drove her to it.

So the parents could have been a little more vigilient. Who here thats blaming the parents even has kids of their own and of those that do, how many of you can say your a perfect parent? Have never allowed your child to be in a potentially dangerous situation (in this context merely surfing the net or leaving the house unsupervised counts)? Have always made the right decision? Know where your child is and what they are doing 100% of the time?

Fact of the matter is, parents wouldn't have to shield their children from what should be harmless fun if it wasn't for the sickos out there that half the people in here seem to be letting off stock free.

So the parents could have been a little more vigilient. Who here thats blaming the parents even has kids of their own and of those that do, how many of you can say your a perfect parent? Have never allowed your child to be in a potentially dangerous situation (in this context merely surfing the net or leaving the house unsupervised counts)? Have always made the right decision? Know where your child is and what they are doing 100% of the time?
Me, and yes. No one said it was bloody easy, but it's a job worth doing just as well as you possibly can.

The problem with that kind of rationale, is one can easily prove that no one is better than Adolph Hitler. Which, quite frankly, is horsefeathers.

Oh come off it, if you are a parent, I can safely say that your child is at a fatal risk every day regardless of where you live and how hard you try to protect them. The suicide obviously wasn't planned. If the girl had committed suicide at school after some teasing, I seriously doubt anyone here would be giving the parents any flak.

The girl is responsible for taking her own life - end of story.

The really sick part of this whole story is that the people that betrayed the girl filed a police report over their broken foosball table, which is essential telling the parents their daughter's life wasn't worth a token material possession.

The really sick part of this whole story is that the people that betrayed the girl filed a police report over their broken foosball table, which is essential telling the parents their daughter's life wasn't worth a token material possession.

Good point. What's even worse is the parents of the girl ended up divorcing. I still don't see how these were considered bad parents by any standards. I read someone say something along the lines of "if she died crossing the road, would you say they were bad parents for allowing her to walk on both sides of the street?" One could argue truly depressed individuals will find a way to kill themselves. You can lock them in a mental institute stripped of all their possessions, that doesn't mean you won't find them without a pulse, face first in their own toilet water. The girl was hellbent on killing herself and, made obvious by dangerously young suicidal tendencies. And I don't care if you're the greatest parent in the entire world, nothing you do or say can prevent the inevitable.

No, and you're right that you can never fully protect your children. But there is such a thing as risk management and knowing when it's better to blow off an ortho appointment or just to vent your feelings about your kids actions without taking into account their emotional state/impact.

THAT I have issues with, alright?

In my opinion one is not a great parent if their kid is fat, pure and simple. I don't want to comment this particular case too much though, as I don't feel like having all the necessary info to do that.

I'm still saying bad parenting, and again, I'm not limiting to just the parents of the girl who killed herself.

The parents of the girl who committed suicide never should have let her on MySpace. If the computer became a source of problems, then the computer should have gone AWAY. My mother was not any sort of technical person, but when I misbehaved, her best punishment was to take the PC entirely away.

The one time that I was grounded and decided to sneak out anyway, the cops were called on me. I was sure that I hated my mom for weeks after that, but you know what? I'm glad she did. Being a parent is hard, and ensuring your kids know WTF is up is harder -- on both of you. But doing the right thing is more important than "keeping your kid happy".

Kids are not, and should not be the center of attention in your life. Another great example of bad parenting is that the girls' parents divorced after the kid died -- why? Because the kids became their life, and when the kids went away (in this case, died) they had nothing left. That's bad parenting, pure and simple. The kids are not your life, and you if you MAKE them your life, they will grow up assuming that everyone else has less priority than they do. This is why I cringe at the thought of what's coming in America's near-future, as all these teenage-angst bitches whose parents have done everything to put them on a pedestal get a very shockingly cold dose of reality when the real world treats them like, well, what the real world really treats you like.

We're going to have a nation full of crying whiney bratty 30 year olds who think the world should revolve around them -- an entire society of "entitlement". If you think America is bad now, just wait...

I really need to move :(

Albuquerque said:
The parents of the girl who committed suicide never should have let her on MySpace. If the computer became a source of problems, then the computer should have gone AWAY.
Like she wouldn't have gone behind her parents back for internet access...

Albuquerque said:
why? Because the kids became their life, and when the kids went away (in this case, died) they had nothing left.
Now, you are a just making stuff up.

Albuquerque said:
The one time that I was grounded and decided to sneak out anyway, the cops were called on me. I was sure that I hated my mom for weeks after that, but you know what? I'm glad she did. Being a parent is hard, and ensuring your kids know WTF is up is harder -- on both of you. But doing the right thing is more important than "keeping your kid happy".
And if doing this had lead to you resenting your mother, entering a deep state of depression, eventually turning to substance abuse, and ultimately killing yourself, assholes on the internet could enjoy whatever satisfaction they get out of calling your mother a bad parent.

Step 1: Acknowledge girl was a human being.
Step 2: Acknowledge human beings have a will of their own
Step 3: Understand that: "No human being can really understand another, and no one can arrange another's happiness." - Graham Greene
Step 4: Understand that if you think you know how anyone else on this planet thinks and feels (even your children or spouse) you are horribly mistaken.
Step 5: Realize that given the above, it is absurd to think you could ever possibly know what effects your actions have on another human being.

Now that we have a framework for how humanity actually works, let's have some fun. Let's say the parents were good parents according to the people in this thread. Then they would have, stopped myspace access, watched their child like a hawk to ensure she wasn't accessing myspace somewhere else, and tried to help their daughter lose weight. Potential result of such a course of action, kid loses weight, makes real friends, comes out of her depression, and all is well. The only problem is that isn't the only potential result. Looking at another one we have, kid fails to lose weight, feels parents don't love her, becomes socially isolated, resents her parents, falls infinitely deeper into despair, and ultimately kills herself.

Like she wouldn't have gone behind her parents back for internet access...
Maybe, it's always possible.
Now, you are a just making stuff up.
Bollocks. This happens all the time -- parents spend all their time and energy on their kid(s), and when the kid(s) leave, the parents have absolutely nothing left.

Why? Because the parents never gave themselves time to be alone together, or even individually. They spend their days working, and then spend their nights running the kids to this practice, and then that practice, and yadda yadda. If you don't make time for your significant other for years upon years, then you will ultimately not even know who they are anymore.

EVERY person changes, especially over the span of a decade or more. If you don't spend time with that person on a consistent and regular basis, you and they will both simply grow apart. Not out of spite, not out of hate or anger, but out of the simple workings of humanity (as you so eloquently put it)
And if doing this had lead to you resenting your mother, entering a deep state of depression, eventually turning to substance abuse, and ultimately killing yourself, assholes on the internet could enjoy whatever satisfaction they get out of calling your mother a bad parent.
It never would, because my mom doesn't just slam me in a room and ignore me for years if she considers me bad. Bad parents might, but good parents STILL MAKE TIME for their kids, even when they misbehave. I was grounded quite a bit when I was younger, but that doesn't mean I was expected (or even allowed) to sit in my room and hole myself up -- real life doesn't allow you to do that either.

And substance abuse comes from parents who either A: over-shelter their kids (Alchohol doesn't exist, you can never see, hear, touch, taste or talk about it evAR!) or B: over-indulge their kids (sure, man, you're my bud -- have an entire glass, it doesn't matter if you're 8!) I was allowed to taste beer as young as five -- you know what? I hated it, because it tasted nasty. I still had a taste anyway, more than a few times, because mom and dad occasionally had some with their dinner too. By the time I was a teenager and was subject to "beer parties", I already knew that beer just really wasn't that big of a deal. Why would I want to drink so much as to get sick? It didn't really taste THAT good...

And good parents according to the people in this thread? You'd be wrong if you said I'm the only person here blaming the parents. You can keep the rest of the psychobabble, because that's all it is.

The examples you gave are nothing more than excuses for parents; parenting and the skills therein have gone SO FAR downhill over the last 10 years that it's just ridiculous. Parents are so worried about making their kid happy and being their "friend" and wanting to be "liked" that they entirely shoot themselves in the foot. You are not your kid's "friend"; worrying about being "liked" is lke worrying that you'll not get asked to the prom. If you be a good parent, your kid will still hate you occasionally. It's ok, that's the way shit happens. But if you've done a truly good job, they can still hate you without jumping off the deep-end by killing or harming themselves or others.

If your kid is SO screwed up that they are hurting themselves or others, then you really have done a bad job, let's re-emphasize: A VERY bad job at being a parent. Period.

Albuquerque said:
This happens all the time -- ...
Are you intentionally missing the point here? It is not that what you say doesn't happen, it is that you have no grounds for your claim in this case. I'm guessing you would make a very poor D.A.

Albuquerque said:
And substance abuse comes from parents who either A: over-shelter their kids (Alchohol doesn't exist, you can never see, hear, touch, taste or talk about it evAR!) or B: over-indulge their kids (sure, man, you're my bud -- have an entire glass, it doesn't matter if you're 8!) I was allowed to taste beer as young as five -- you know what? I hated it, because it tasted nasty. I still had a taste anyway, more than a few times, because mom and dad occasionally had some with their dinner too. By the time I was a teenager and was subject to "beer parties", I already knew that beer just really wasn't that big of a deal. Why would I want to drink so much as to get sick? It didn't really taste THAT good...
Mass stereotypes and gross oversimplification... I expected better, someday I will learn I guess.

Albuquerque said:
You'd be wrong if you said I'm the only person here blaming the parents.
LOL. It is a good thing I didn't say that then.

Albuquerque said:
You can keep the rest of the psychobabble, because that's all it is.
No. That is the reality we live in that most people such as yourself are too scared to admit. People lie to themselves to keep their sanity; it is understandable. It is the same lie people tell themselves about their safety while driving on the freeway or walking down the sidewalk. It is the same lie as, "I really need to move." Well then do it. Nothing is stopping you if that is what you truly want.

Albuquerque said:
If your kid is SO screwed up that they are hurting themselves or others, then you really have done a bad job, let's re-emphasize: A VERY bad job at being a parent. Period.
This sentence indicates to me this is no longer conversation meriting my time.

Back