My ram upgrade nighmare

Earlier, Jim posted that he was using a P4 (I think 1.8GHz'ish range) so I assumed he was on an i850 chipset, in which case RDRAM must be installed in pairs.

yeah i had to. (twin 512M chips)...my twin 64M chips became paperweights.

my rig: p4 1.4Gz (423? pin chip), AGP 4x, 1G rdram pc800 (up from 128M), 9700pro AIW (4.2 catalyst, up from some 32M ATI product), directx 9b, Windows ME (build YUCK)

anyway im pretty pleased after adding my 9700pro and 1G ram upgrades. though at the time i had read i couldn't get to the (478? pin based chipsets) and keep my ram (so i didn't).

never thought i lost much without AGP 8x, but that chip limit of 2Gz for my current board was a little disappointing.

now ( i couldn't find the thread, thought it was in here) i was supplied with a link that apparently means i can upgrade my mboard/chipset without throwing out my expensive rdram! woohoo! thanks. well at least 1 option or 2.

i was thinking i was stuck with my current rig till pci-e ,btx, prescott, 64 bit opsys (longhorn) and such got established and software exploiting it all.

now i find i may be able to (cost effectively) coax a few more horseys out of my confuser. thanks again.

Back