Last year it was
AMD Athlon 64 3800+
1GB Crucial Ballistix DDR
2x 120GB Seagate Barracuda IV SATA drives
1 ATI X800XT PCI Express video card
ATI RADEON Xpress 200 Bullhead Reference motherboard
Onboard Audio
Logitech Z-640 5.1 speakers

This year it is (Only the motherboard and video card were provided as review samples, though I would definitely buy both based upon extensive time with both)

AMD Athlon 4800+ Dual core
2GB Crucial Ballistix DDR memory
ECS nForce4 Ultra motherboard (I have no need nor want to have 2 NV or ATI cards in my primary gaming computer)
2 250GB WD Caviar SATA HDDs
1 A-I-W X1800XL video card
RAIDMAX Samurai case
Windows XP with SP2
Onboard audio
Creative Labs 7800 7.1 speakers

Looks nice, but you know you are gonna get some boos on a site like this when you buy such a high-end CPU and not the highest end 3D card ;)

So, saying the inevitable: I think you should go for a X1800XT instead of the XL.

BTW, doesn't "Once a year, I tend to build my own computer to last a while" mean it will last exactly one year or are you amassing PCs in great abundance?

LOL. I use my PC as my TV, and as my DVD player. I have no interest in the XT at the moment, if I was to upgrade it would be to ATI's next A-I-W card because of my needs. Besides, I only have a 19" 1280x1024 LCD monitor, what possible need would I have for a X1800XT or 7800GTX 512MB for that matter at the moment?

ben6 said:
I use my PC as my TV, and as my DVD player. I have no interest in the XT at the moment, if I was to upgrade it would be to ATI's next A-I-W card because of my needs. Besides, I only have a 19" 1280x1024 LCD monitor, what possible need would I have for a X1800XT or 7800GTX 512MB for that matter at the moment?

Not at the moment...you said it should last a while (a year, right?). The XT will age better than the XL. If you always use your PC as a TV/Video player, how come you don't install a TV Wonder or something like that so you can take it with you when you upgrade? And I gotta ask, why not a discrete audio card?

BTW, it's kind of hard to make a comment on two lists of specs without knowing anything else. You bought the top of the line 3D card last time. You're going soft. :p

err reread what I said please. And if you think I'm going to buy or recommend a $500 video card for anyone including myself you got another thing coming...

ben6 said:
err reread what I said please. And if you think I'm going to buy or recommend a $500 video card for anyone including myself you got another thing coming...
Ahhh...you edited the OP you sneaky person you... ;)

Gee, sometimes I think ppl read messages before I hit submit HEHEHE. It was only a minute later that I edited the post to clarify what was purchased and what was a review sample.

Not bad, but there are a few things that really stick out to me and make me wonder what the hell you are thinking.

Like the case. Why such a cheap piece of crap? I much rather have a highend case to go with such a highend system. And I also hope you have a high end PSU.

Your audio also seems abosoluty crazy to me. Since you use your PC for everything, then why not use a high quality add on audio card? I dont understand how people can live with the crappy audio onboard puts out. Plus the great smoothness to games a dedicated card adds. Makes a lot more sense also that you use your PC for your media life.

ben6 said:
Once a year, I tend to build my own computer to last a while

Last year it was
AMD Athlon 64 3800+
1GB Crucial Ballistix DDR
2x 120GB Seagate Barracuda IV SATA drives
1 ATI X800XT PCI Express video card
ATI RADEON Xpress 200 Bullhead Reference motherboard
Onboard Audio
Logitech Z-640 5.1 speakers

This year it is (Only the motherboard and video card were provided as review samples, though I would definitely buy both based upon extensive time with both)

AMD Athlon 4800+ Dual core
2GB Crucial Ballistix DDR memory
ECS nForce4 Ultra motherboard (I have no need nor want to have 2 NV or ATI cards in my primary gaming computer)
2 250GB WD Caviar SATA HDDs
1 A-I-W X1800XL video card
RAIDMAX Samurai case
Windows XP with SP2
Onboard audio
Creative Labs 7800 7.1 speakers

With my ECS board, I had to overvolt the cpu by 25MV to get it stable. I believe that the board slightly undervolts it.

ben6 said:
Gee, sometimes I think ppl read messages before I hit submit HEHEHE. It was only a minute later that I edited the post to clarify what was purchased and what was a review sample.

Heh. Sorry for the confusion. I was passing through and I must have hit your thread just as you posted it. You'll forgive me for not re-reading previous posts without being told to do so ;)

ANova said:
Care to donate that X800 XT you no longer want to the needy? :)

LOL sorry, I haven't donated video cards since last year when I got rid of my AGP collection to my friends, relatives neighbors as Christmas presents. I personally have never sold any video card I've reviewed

To address some points
1. I like the RAIDMax Samurai look. With cases I tend to pick one I like the look of than anything else
2. Yes the PSU is a SLI certified PSU from Thermaltake
3. Onboard Audio is one of those things I can live with for a little while at least till after Christmas is over and done with....

Lol, your system looks bad now. You put a Thermaltake PSU and are using a Raidmax case with the rest of that stuff. The world never stops amazing me.

Skrying said:
Lol, your system looks bad now. You put a Thermaltake PSU and are using a Raidmax case with the rest of that stuff. The world never stops amazing me.

Eh what do you have against Thermaltake PSUs?

Why not just increase the memory and harddisks and be done with it? Your new computer won't really be faster than the current one when running XP. Do you do many video encoding? If not, just upgrade the current one and spend the money on other nice stuff.

Thermaltake has yet to make a sucky product...I would go with the CM Stcker 830 case and go with the PC power and cooling IIRC SLI ready PSU however.

DiGuru said:
Why not just increase the memory and harddisks and be done with it? Your new computer won't really be faster than the current one when running XP. Do you do many video encoding? If not, just upgrade the current one and spend the money on other nice stuff.

Err so I can send the other computer as a Christmas present?

ben6 said:
Err so I can send the other computer as a Christmas present?
Thats my MO too, send the last uber rig to the brother, update the house config... get a new uber rig that is only needed to play fear ,bf2 ect... brag abit, untill Martox talks about his new W/C monster.... :oops:

Last edited by a moderator:
Back