Multiple rendering modes for Uncharted: A realistic non-painted look possible?

babcat

Regular
I found the following quote online -

There are a whole slew of different types of unlockables that you'll be able to snag, including behind-the-scenes footage, artwork, additional costumes and even other playable characters (though Nathan will still appear in the cutscenes). You'll also be able to unlock different rendering modes, like a black and white mode, a sepia-toned mode, a next-gen filter (with appropriate super bloom and saturated colors) and even a mode that doesn't utilize textures, allowing you to see how the geometry was put together more easily. It's worth noting that any unlockables you earn are shared between all the save games on the system, and that you can carry over Medals that you've earned into a second or third play through in order to help you find all the treasures and unlock everything.

In my opinion, this is awesome. I think it's GREAT that they will have different rendering modes! Usually, I'm guessing there is only one such mode (except for different resolutions).

My question is this: How difficult would it be to include a rendering mode that would utilize a non-painted and less cartoonish look? By the way, I'm not trolling by stating this. This game looks fantastic. However, people have different preferences. It seems that they are doing this to allow for people to have CHOICES!

What would be the technical obstacles to having a rendering mode that allows for a more realistic look?

In my opinion, this is awesome. I think it's GREAT that they will have different rendering modes! Usually, I'm guessing there is only one such mode (except for different resolutions).

My question is this: How difficult would it be to include a rendering mode that would utilize a non-painted and less cartoonish look? By the way, I'm not trolling by stating this. This game looks fantastic. However, people have different preferences. It seems that they are doing this to allow for people to have CHOICES!

What would be the technical obstacles to having a rendering mode that allows for a more realistic look?

I believe Jak 2 or Jack 3 had something like this to. Its been awhile since I've played either tho :cry:

realistic

less shiny, no tint, less colour/color, more dusty, more hdr, many highlights with sharp dropoff for brightness for non highlight area around highlight (too many CG has too much even lighting)

the next-gen filter sounds like fun but the black and white one would probably be a one-time gimmick for five minutes. I remember Rogue Squadron 3 had it and it was kind of funny but it made it hard to see anything.

I think for the topic starter's question that you would need a different color scheme (since you're basically changing the art style of the game). I guess that could be done but it's probably a lot of trouble if you're making it look good in both modes. I think I remember a couple games that would do different areas with completely different art styles where one are is realistic and the other is cartoony.

Far Cry had a somewhat cartoony look but a "Cold" mode that makes the visuals look more realistic. Gears also has a few filter options.

He would like it. Doesn't mean he expects it. No need to be so grumpy almighty. I'm looking forwards to the next-gen mockery. I hope they include a next-gen shooter mode too :p

Far Cry had a somewhat cartoony look but a "Cold" mode that makes the visuals look more realistic. Gears also has a few filter options.

Yeah the render modes in Far Cry where, cartoony, Cold, Paradise, and Improved mode. i also remember how my 9800pro back at the old days had post-processing effects available in the drivers menu to be used on all DX9 (I think DX8 was supported to) games. Such effects as black and white colors and more etc.

On-topic I think it is a great idea, something for all tastes. :smile:

Even if they did not replace all the textures in the game I would just like replacement textures for the characters.

It's something like Shenmue 2, I assume? Will you be able to make pictures like in that game (and upload them online like in some newer gamers)?

Back