Multiplayer Online games on NBA 2K7 for PS3

wco81

Legend
OK, it's great that they added this feature (not sure how well NBA 2K plays as a multiplayer game, is it easy to pass to other human players?)

But it's probably limited to two consoles and 10 players between them.

How about say at least 4 consoles and maybe as many as 10? Makes the net code tougher.

But at $40 a piece, not too many people are going to have 5 or even 7 SIXAXIS controllers around, especially after laying out $500 or $600 for a new console.

So to get multiplayer online games like this, more than likely, you need to get several consoles with one player each joined in a single game. Only online sports game which had something like this was NHL Rivals on XBL.

How about working on this for NBA2K8?

Also, with multiple consoles connected for a multiplayer online game, you could have some people be spectators.

Whatever happened to the spectator mode promised on XBL for the X360?

Where did you hear about NBA2K7's online modes for the PS3? The most recent interview with Greg Thomas I saw on gametrailers.com said they weren't sure it would have any. Impression I got while watching it that Sony's online service, specs, and/or tools weren't quite ready yet.

IMO, it's the best online sports game BTW. Hopefully they can get everything nailed down for the launch.

Gamespot has a news item about it.
yep
http://www.gamespot.com/news/6159607.html?tag=latestnews;title;2
As everyone knows, pro basketball is a five-on-five sport, and the new edition of NBA 2K7 seeks to replicate that on the PS3. Online multiplayer will support two squads of five, and up to seven ballers will be able to play on one system.

As for the 7 controllers, I think it would work out like the Wii to get them all in the same room if you dont purchase 7 different controllers(not sure anybody plans on buying that many). Meaning people with ps3's you invite over should bring their own controller. I think that would be easier than getting 3-4 ps3's in one room.

It would be easier still to find 10 players online (each on their own consoles) and gather them all into a single multiplayer game.

Two consoles is current gen.

Next gen should be multiple consoles.

Awesome. I go from thinking no online multiplayer to 5 on 5. Cool. Gamespot better not be wrong about this. I'll be bummed.

Yeah but in this case, I think sports games wont be needing multiple consoles, the over top camera angles dont really need it. In other games like co-op fps games for example, yeah that would be pretty cool. I assume it could work over lan for the games that have that option.

It would be easier still to find 10 players online (each on their own consoles) and gather them all into a single multiplayer game.

Two consoles is current gen.

Can you please point out to me where it says that you can only play five on five on two ps3s? What I'm reading here is that the game supports 10 players online, so that you can play a full five-on-five online. It doesn't actually even say that you could do it through only two PS3s. I'm guessing you only assume that because they next mention that you can play with seven players on one PS3 offline, but the two aren't related in any other way than indicating how many human players can take part in a match - online: 10, offline: 7.

Am I missing something here?

Can you please point out to me where it says that you can only play five on five on two ps3s? What I'm reading here is that the game supports 10 players online, so that you can play a full five-on-five online. It doesn't actually even say that you could do it through only two PS3s. I'm guessing you only assume that because they next mention that you can play with seven players on one PS3 offline, but the two aren't related in any other way than indicating how many human players can take part in a match - online: 10, offline: 7.

Am I missing something here?

No I don't think you are. But is this different than the 360 verison? If not why is this news?

X360 is limited to 4 wireless controllers isn't it?

My point is, most console sports games are peer-to-peer for online.

So one console to one console.

It's not like FPS games where you can have a dedicated server and host dozens of connections.

For instance, EA's NASCAR supported only 2-player online for races with 38 CPU cars on consoles. But on PCs, it allowed up to 32 human players.

All console sports games are one console to one console. Only exception I know of is NHL Rivals, which allowed up to 10 players from 6 different Xboxes.

No I don't think you are. But is this different than the 360 verison? If not why is this news?

I'm not saying that it is different, just questioning some questionables in the OP. ;)

If I were to be picky, I could tell Qroach that in fact you cannot use 7 wireless controllers on a 360, but that'd be childish, frankly. ;) Mostly, the two versions are going to be very similar, obviously, and the 360's online options are already excellent (or so I've read).

All console sports games are one console to one console. Only exception I know of is NHL Rivals, which allowed up to 10 players from 6 different Xboxes.

Come now, that wasn't even always true last-generation. Maybe you play too many EA games though.

X360 is limited to 4 wireless controllers isn't it?

My point is, most console sports games are peer-to-peer for online.

So one console to one console.

It's not like FPS games where you can have a dedicated server and host dozens of connections.

For instance, EA's NASCAR supported only 2-player online for races with 38 CPU cars on consoles. But on PCs, it allowed up to 32 human players.

Thats just EA your talking about but most, if not all, console online games are peer-to-peer. shooters included, and excluding mmo's

I said console sports online games.

If you know of any which supported more than two consoles in the smae online game, please list them.

Of course you could be talking about something like Midnight Racing and other street racing games.

I said console sports online games.

If you know of any which supported more than two consoles in the smae online game, please list them.

Of course you could be talking about something like Midnight Racing and other street racing games.

I don't generally consider DTM Race Driver 3 or Sony's F1 2006 street racing games, and they both support a fair number of players online (as in 8 or more) last time I checked. I'm fairly certain there are other games.

Although not quite fair because not yet out, there's PES6:

GamesTracker said:
It is also revealed that the online side of the PlayStation 2 and PC game has been massively revamped. Seabass and his team have implemented a new online system that allows up to eight players to compete simultaneously through four linked systems.

If you count Tony Hawk as sports, then that had 8 player online support very early on.

There are, really, a fair number of other examples.

OK, if you include motor sports games in Europe or Extreme sports games, then yes there are a few more examples of multiple linked consoles.

But the norm in sports games is two linked consoles.

So that is why it would be nice if next gen expanded on that capability for online games.

Back