[Multiplat] Battlefield 3

The single player graphics can be very inconsistent throughout the course, the stormy carrier level "Going Hunting" is absolutely stunning to take in, so is the beautiful downtown Paris and nice reflection in the underground parking lot, but sometimes the game can be just average and dull, check "Markrov" level. I'm also disappointed that some of the elements from "rolling thunder" promo trailer didn't make it in the final game, such as the cluster bomb effect.
I would also say KZ2 does night time levels so much better with the nice object motion blur, shadow casting muzzle flash, bouncing particles, volumetric particles and more chaotic actions on screen.
Overall it's a pretty decent effort from Dice but calling it "nextgen graphics on current gen hardware" is way too exaggerating.

I agree about the inconsistency, but overall it's still one of the best looking console games IMO. Not many games can be consistently stunning.
One area that it has KZ beat, is the lighting IMO. DICE's MLAA implementation is also very good.

I would also call it more than a "decent" effort considering it's a MP game and they did a very good job at parity.

And to their defense, they seemed to have went for a more realistic approach. A lot of games these days try to be too flashy. I still think BF3 is the most realistic looking FPS.

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Visibility. I couldn't see a thing for the first couple of hours until I adapted to it. In general BF games always take a couple of days to acclimatise fully, but once you're there it's gaming nirvana.

Yes, I was definitely underwhelmed by most of visuals on single player as well and this is the PC version with everything set to Ultra I'm playing. I did love that whole France level. It was definitely something new, something I've never really seen before.

Everything else was too much US Marines in the desert crap I've seen in every modern warfare shooter. Surprising coming from a European dev whose country is pretty pacifist and hates the whole US war machine thing. I'm also sick of people making the Russians the bad guys. Even with most of the campaign taking place on the Iraq-Iran border they still managed to make the Russian a bad guy.

You play as a Russian trying to disarm a nuke from blowing up paris. Seems a fairly noble thing to me.

Yep visibility is ABSOLUTELY terrible in this game. I can't tell who's who for one without looking at the color of the player id, not much of an issue but a very serious issue when there are dozens of other things which prevent you from noticing the player in the first place.

The contrast between the light and shadow is too high for me to make out the tiny movements which would usually be a player somewhere hiding in the bushes. If you are inside a building then good luck trying to spot anyone as half of the time you will be killed by someone from the outside aiming at the window. And the lens flares are really annoying cause they are very harsh and all over the screen, same issue with the vignetting effect as well as the blur and de saturation of screen when hit (blur+de saturation of an already saturated scene = wtf)

I have never been bad at any Battlefield game, infact I have played BF2142 at a professional level but I simply suck in this game cause of how I get shot from nowhere, and I have been trying to play it since the beta. Just a couple of minutes ago I was playing in Caspian Border and I spawned next to this fellow hiding between the grass, I couldn't see him but I knew he was there cause I could see him on the map I wasted a couple of more seconds looking and then finally when I saw him I was dead...it takes too much time cause the scene is already too busy and the effects and player uniform makes it even harder to see.

I assume you are talking about SP visibility ? Or is MP just as bad ?

I have the game but it's still shrink-wrapped on my shelves. ^_^

EDIT: people looking for a party on PS3 can drop me a post, PM or XMB message. PSN ID is patsu. Will hook you up with the GAF folks in the XMB chatroom. They know what they are doing, so you only need to take care of yourself.

You can usually find people in the chatroom 24/7.

The south India based distributors like gamegears and iconsoul.

Not really, you see this isn't a fast game so it won't matter...beside you will inevitably be better with vehicles, choppers and planes when compared to keyboard users.

Oh ! Yes, I forgot Consoul always has super discounts.

As for this not being a fast game, I have played it too.
Its a wait- peek- spot- wait- make a kill-run ahead with ur squad-wait-peek-spot-wait-make a kill game !

but you see the part when u are spotted or you spot someone, the part when there's a frantic battle of wits about who survives when finally a kill is about to happen,that part is very very fast, at least from my experience. At that point, my having a Razer1600dpi mouse and you coming around with a controller results in three headshots to your head while you were aiming the reticule towards me. Even a laser vs an optical mouse makes a hell of a difference in terms of headshots.

Yes, the vehicles are best controlled with the controller, that is why I usually just play sidekick to the guys with vehicles and never fly. But if you say your using a controller in a PC BF MP does not put you at a disadvantage, well then, Goodluck !
I wanted to play with a controller too, thats why I didn;t buy the PC version (though I'll get it someday, cos somehow the PC crowd is just way beyond the console crowd in terms of BF on field behviour)

Oh ! Yes, I forgot Consoul always has super discounts.

As for this not being a fast game, I have played it too.
Its a wait- peek- spot- wait- make a kill-run ahead with ur squad-wait-peek-spot-wait-make a kill game !

but you see the part when u are spotted or you spot someone, the part when there's a frantic battle of wits about who survives when finally a kill is about to happen,that part is very very fast, at least from my experience. At that point, my having a Razer1600dpi mouse and you coming around with a controller results in three headshots to your head while you were aiming the reticule towards me. Even a laser vs an optical mouse makes a hell of a difference in terms of headshots.
TBH if I never had any problem in a game like Gears of War which is basically all about CQC combat between two people then I don't see any reason why I should have had any in this game, provided the controller support wasn't wonky. ofcourse in games like COD it will make a difference but honestly speaking from my experience, in MOST of the games these days time when you get a kill you aren't even in a direct firefight but rather killing someone who hasn't even noticed you, which kind of makes the speed useless.

Yes, the vehicles are best controlled with the controller, that is why I usually just play sidekick to the guys with vehicles and never fly. But if you say your using a controller in a PC BF MP does not put you at a disadvantage, well then, Goodluck !
I wanted to play with a controller too, thats why I didn;t buy the PC version (though I'll get it someday, cos somehow the PC crowd is just way beyond the console crowd in terms of BF on field behviour)
The behaviour is more because of the additional player numbers rather than anything else, it makes people play slower cause there is a bigger chance of getting killed by someone far away off the screen.

Is it just me or is this game hard? I'm finding it slightly annoying to be directed to a location to do something in the knowledge that you'll just be mown down in a rain of hot metal.

The graphics aren't not what I expected, there are moments of sheer brilliance blended with sections of bland tedium but that seems to sum up this generation of games. Studios aiming to hit pinnacle graphics and gameplay and falling just short of either. I guess there's only a handful of games that have hiy the mark this generation. Hopefully the next iteration of consoles will give the devs the horsepower they need not to worry about the graphics pipeline, and more to concentrate on the gameplay instead.

Is it just me or is this game hard? I'm finding it slightly annoying to be directed to a location to do something in the knowledge that you'll just be mown down in a rain of hot metal.

The graphics aren't not what I expected, there are moments of sheer brilliance blended with sections of bland tedium but that seems to sum up this generation of games. Studios aiming to hit pinnacle graphics and gameplay and falling just short of either. I guess there's only a handful of games that have hiy the mark this generation. Hopefully the next iteration of consoles will give the devs the horsepower they need not to worry about the graphics pipeline, and more to concentrate on the gameplay instead.

I started on hard with aim assist off and have only had a few bottlenecks to be honest. Need to finish before U3 lands!

I started on hard with aim assist off and have only had a few bottlenecks to be honest. Need to finish before U3 lands!

Same here apart from the number of bottlenecks... :oops: Must just be me then!! Just got the email through to say that U3 has dispatched. If I don't finish B3 now I probably never will.

Sampled the game. Playing in normal. Gunplay is fine for me, but it's hard to see enemies sometimes. I think I'm too used to MP with name tags. ^_^

The lighting is nice. It looks like the SP gameplay is a series of short encounters ? It boils down to trial and error so far, but I like the war atmosphere.

Folks in the chatroom seem to love the MP. I see them complaining a lot about CoD players though. Some of them suggest to wait a few days for "Rambo" players to get disappointed and leave. ^_^

I'm starting to realize these 'modern warfare' games are simply not my type of shooter. I simply don't feel the mechanics are conductive to good gameplay. There's really no skill to master in them but I guess that's the point. It's pretty much if I see you first you = dead. Of course this modern warfare shooter makes seeing people a bit harder so I guess there's a little bit more skill than the rest of them but damn I really liked that France level. I think I played it about 5 times already.

For anyone who has got the Psn DD version, how does the online pass work in these DD versions? Is it a text key like in the disc versions ?
Or does it let u play MP on all ps3s with that account like the usual SP stuff?

Finished the SP portion just now. Pretty good actually, bar the sluggish start when you seem to be handheld. Then picks up nicely with some lovely level design. Tremendous production values, great framerate thoughout.

Did some co-op with Acert93. Even on normal, I find the missions are fairly challenging. Only played through the first three, but they're pretty fun. I kind of wish there was a bit of a narrative built around them, but they're good. The helicopter mission is great, if you want to learn to fly the helis. It's hard to get time in the helis in multiplayer, either from getting shot down or competing for the pilot's seat. I'm hoping there is a jet co-op mission as well, because I still haven't given those a shot.

I find the alternate control, where you have pitch and yaw(?) on the right stick better, because it matches more closely to the infantry control.

As for the multiplayer, I'm definitely not as good at this one as I was at Bad Company 2. I don't really know what the difference is, but I'm rarely near the top of the leaderboard, where in Bad Company 2 and BC2: Vietnam I was almost always near the top. I think map complexity and map knowledge has something to do with it, but I find I'm not nearly as effective at picking guys off at medium to long range, which was my bread and butter. Maybe I'll just blame my internet connection.

Finished the SP portion just now. Pretty good actually, bar the sluggish start when you seem to be handheld. Then picks up nicely with some lovely level design. Tremendous production values, great framerate thoughout.

Ah, that's good to know. I was thinking the early missions, while attractive, were a little simplistic (
Played until the earthquake last night
).

I like how the gunplay is different from my favorite shooters. For MP, I suspect I will end up playing easier FPSs more.

Remembering that I do actually like the type of multiplayer that Battlefield offers (just like I loved Warhawk), I also just noticed that the full game is up on PSN for download. Advantage of that is that a multi-player game like that is nice to have installed, and also being able to have it on both my PS3s ...

Does anyone here have experience with the PSN version of Battlefield 3?

And talking about co-op, that co-op helicopter level sounds ace.

I'm starting to realize these 'modern warfare' games are simply not my type of shooter. I simply don't feel the mechanics are conductive to good gameplay. There's really no skill to master in them but I guess that's the point. It's pretty much if I see you first you = dead. Of course this modern warfare shooter makes seeing people a bit harder so I guess there's a little bit more skill than the rest of them but damn I really liked that France level. I think I played it about 5 times already.

There is definitely skill involved. You'll see it when you run into a dominant squad, especially if they have a good heli pilot. There is quite a bit of mastery in the vehicles. On the infantry side, finding complementary builds with your friends and building a strategy is key. There is a bit of see you first = dead, but the skill comes from knowing how to move and when so that you're the one seeing first. It's different, but I like the team aspect over the team of individuals approach in most TDM games.

There is definitely skill involved. You'll see it when you run into a dominant squad, especially if they have a good heli pilot. There is quite a bit of mastery in the vehicles. On the infantry side, finding complementary builds with your friends and building a strategy is key. There is a bit of see you first = dead, but the skill comes from knowing how to move and when so that you're the one seeing first. It's different, but I like the team aspect over the team of individuals approach in most TDM games.

I don't think I defined what I think 'skill' is. First let me separate a common omen. Pretty much every shooter you play this day is highly defined in team play: you aren't going to win in 1vs4 situations in any shooter these days but a person's level of individual skill is about the mastery of mechanics.

First instance, take Gears of War. It's a cover based shooter. On a low level that's all it is: you sit behind a wall and shoot stuff. To a highly skilled player they know how to use cover as a movement tool and can move around it much more quickly virtually wall bouncing around you indefinitely. On the surface of it, an average player may not even think to 'wall bounce' but it's an invaluable tool in mastering the cover system. This is before all the shooting aspect of it. There's no tool or game system in Battlefield that's about positioning and out maneuvering. Ok you can duck behind cover or go prone in the trees what other tools are there that allows you to out position a player in 1v1 battles or just even getting out of bad situations?

Which leads me to my next point, the shooting aspect of 'modern warfare' games is a see first, die first, dice roll - as I mentioned. I get the appeal of "realism" it invokes but I don't think a virtual luck of the dice is about skill. Unless you know where all the camping spots are, you aren't going to 'see' first 100% of the time. Hell, not even 50%. In Halo, even if you catch me out in the open the game's system gives me to the tools to get out of any situation, it's the same in Gears. What are you do when you roll that dice some player simply gets the drop on you?

You talk about team play, there's far more it in Gears than any modern warfare shooter I played. If you think you're badass, the lone-wolf, you are going to get blown up. I can't count how many times in Battlefield 3 I've had a K/D of 7, 8 or 9 just lone-wolfing it. Since Gears is so individually skilled based 2 people of my skill level on the opposing team, coordinating, with me lone-wolfing it gets me blown up about 50% of the time. That's a K/D of 1. That's a 6-8 point difference. Which would turn a match in Gears.

....anyway I'm rambling again but hope you get what I mean about "skill".

Last edited by a moderator:
Back