Multi-Threading Links and Papers

Ilfirin

Regular
I'm making a set of interesting links to sites, articles and papers on multi-threading and multi-core utilization on my blog if anyone wants to check them out. It's a fairly short list at the moment but that's one of the reasons I'm starting this thread - to get a collection of everyone else's favorite papers on the subject (the other reason to discuss and dissect said papers). I'm particularly interested in more links regarding parallel data structures and algorithms for real-time 3D graphics, as I haven't been able to find too many outside of the usual ray/path tracing collection.

I find the MIT papers to be particularly interesting:

from Adaptive Scheduling with Parallelism Feedback
Multiprocessor scheduling in a shared multiprogramming environment is often structured as two-level scheduling, where a kernellevel job scheduler allots processors to jobs and a user-level task scheduler schedules the work of a job on the allotted processors. In this context, the number of processors allotted to a particular job may vary during the job’s execution, and the task scheduler must adapt to these changes in processor resources. For overall system efficiency, the task scheduler should also provide parallelism feedback to the job scheduler to avoid the situation where a job is allotted processors that it cannot use productively.
We present an adaptive task scheduler for multitasked jobs with dependencies that provides continual parallelism feedback to the job scheduler in the form of requests for processors. Our scheduler guarantees that a job completes near optimally while utilizing at least a constant fraction of the allotted processor cycles. Our scheduler can be applied to schedule data-parallel programs, such as those written in High Performance Fortran (HPF), *Lisp, C*, NESL, and ZPL.
Also has anyone had any experience working with Intel Threading Building Blocks? How well does it work on AMD processors?

Last edited by a moderator:
Back