multi-card reader

AlNom

Legend
Hello there, I was just wondering what you guys think is a good multi-card reader (external and/or internal). I have no idea what brands to "trust".

:)

If possible, I would prefer Lexar or Sandisk multi-card reader (hopefully I don't misunderstand your multicards here). But all in all, I don't like multicard reader since after connect the device, the multicard reader install too many drives on my lappy (I:, J:, K:, L: and etc if it has got more than 4 slots) :???: and cause me confuse so often.

Alstrong said:
Hello there, I was just wondering what you guys think is a good multi-card reader (external and/or internal). I have no idea what brands to "trust".

Crucial are usually a good brand for this kind of thing. Not the cheapest, but usually very fast and reliable.

Last edited by a moderator:
satein said:
If possible, I would prefer Lexar or Sandisk multi-card reader (hopefully I don't misunderstand your multicards here). But all in all, I don't like multicard reader since after connect the device, the multicard reader install too many drives on my lappy (I:, J:, K:, L: and etc if it has got more than 4 slots) :???: and cause me confuse so often.

That's because it has to take into account that you might fill every slot with a memory card.

But why should't they act like removable drives? The reader on my laptop is like that.

Thanks for the suggestions. :)

at least you should be able to go to disk management (in right-click on My Desktop / manage), and delete the useless drive letters.
you probable use only one type of memory card, maybe two.

from there you can have them mounted in a NTFS empty folder too.
so you could have C:\cards\SD-MMC, c:\cards\CF etc. rather than I:, J: etc.

My Dell multi-card reader is nice. It multi-functions as a 24" widescreen LCD too. :cool:

BRiT said:
My Dell multi-card reader is nice. It multi-functions as a 24" widescreen LCD too. :cool:
That is the one giving me headache, since sometime my other external device that was configed need to reconfig again.

Blazkowicz_ said:
at least you should be able to go to disk management (in right-click on My Desktop / manage), and delete the useless drive letters.
you probable use only one type of memory card, maybe two.
Its driver should do it automatically as we remove the drive, it should be unmounted. So, it will not hoax resource on the system.

Blazkowicz_ said:
from there you can have them mounted in a NTFS empty folder too.
so you could have C:\cards\SD-MMC, c:\cards\CF etc. rather than I:, J: etc.
That's another option, but I would not go for it since I seem not trust XP disk manager. As my media is used outside as stand alone drive, how will it be safe for being mounted as a sub-volume? and I don't want to lose my worthy data ;) .

Alstrong said:

I have a lexar external one. Nice small and reliable.
I also consider it a bonus that you plug the mini usb cable into it rather than it being wired directly, but that might just be me.

CC

is quality a issue with card readers, I got a noname 6 in 1 reader with a motherboard I bought a while back and it has worked great every since

satein said:
That's another option, but I would not go for it since I seem not trust XP disk manager. As my media is used outside as stand alone drive, how will it be safe for being mounted as a sub-volume? and I don't want to lose my worthy data ;) .

I don't trust Internet Explorer or Outlook express, which are terrible crap, but the disk management is more than OK to me, as a part of the solid NT system. think of Unix/linux, where you mount drives in the directory tree, windows NT added this feature. you can always revert your changes. or simply change letters (I use R: and S: for my CD drives)

Back