MS Q3 Financials

If Microsoft's prediction in the last year and analyst estimation are correct,
http://www.reuters.com/article/ousiv/idUSN2434172120080324
Let's assume they sold 5 million licenses at $8 for each license. It's $40 million profit.

Revenue, not profit.

Also Microsoft Office 2008 for Mac was released in this quarter. I hadn't known it but it seems it's a huge business for MS.
http://www.microsoft-watch.com/content/business_applications/microsofts_big_mac_sales.html
The Microsoft Business Division that sells Office earned whopping $3,138 million profit this quarter.
http://www.microsoft.com/msft/earnings/FY08/earn_rel_q3_08.mspx
Though this number is likely to come most from corporate licenses and I expect retail sales are far smaller, Mac Office is a serious contributor.

Which is not the E&D division. Most retail office sales (~85%) are also discounted student editions.

Perhaps you can tell me how much the cafeteria pinball machine made in redmond also.

Revenue, not profit.
Did you see the revenue/profit ratio in these software divisions?
Which is not the E&D division. Most retail office sales (~85%) are also discounted student editions.
You can guess how much Mac Office which is a port job is making in the E&D division with these figures. I have no idea how relevant the academic discount is since corporate licenses get heavy discount too.

just had a quick search over logitech
announced record sales and operating profit for the third quarter of Fiscal Year 2008, ended Dec. 31, 2007. Sales were $744 million, up 13 percent from $659 million in the same quarter last year. Operating income was $116 million, up 17 percent from $100 million for the same quarter a year ago. Net income was $134 million
http://news.moneycentral.msn.com/ticker/article.aspx?Feed=BW&Date=20080116&ID=8053154&Symbol=LOGI
$100+ million for the 3 months!!!!
from my memory of the marketshare data, MS are pushing logitech close

ok say (conservative figures) perpherials+mac office= $200million profit for the quarter yet we have ppl here in this forum making out that the xbox360 is the major moneyspinner in the E&D division :)

They can do what they want if it's legal.
true it maybe legal but is it honest + transparent

Sony has a much simpler structure in that they have a gaming division. But even then you could argue something like that they're "hiding" PS3 losses behind PS2 and PSP profits.
true sony are just as bad with their spin over the 'PS platform', cause until recently the ps3 has been performing terribly. i expect to see just as much BS when their financial results come out. nintendo modus operandi is a breath of fresh air

its like theres a law that states
'spin is governed by the inverse of your products performance'

Reading the description of MS's divisions you'll get a clearer picture of what EDD actually entails.

http://www.microsoft.com/msft/reports/ar07/staticversion/10k_fr_bus_01.html

EDD not only covers Office Mac sales it covers a lot more...

"EDD also leads the development efforts of our line of consumer software and hardware products including application software for Macintosh computers and Microsoft PC hardware products, and is responsible for all retail sales and marketing for Microsoft Office and the Windows operating systems."

The Business Division also covers Office sales but...

"Approximately 75% of MBD revenue is generated from sales to businesses. Revenue from this category generally depends upon the number of information workers in a licensed enterprise and is therefore relatively independent of the number of PCs sold in a given year. Approximately 25% of MBD revenue is derived from sales to consumers. Most of this revenue is generated from new licenses acquired through fully packaged products and licenses sold through OEMs for new PCs and are generally affected by the level of PC shipments and product launches."

Either Xbox 360 losses are really big or retail sales of MS's PC and Mac software products isn't all that huge.

Considering almost $900million of the $1.5 billion revenue in the E&D division was video game/360 related it seems fairly clear that other sources aren't carrying the division. I am not surprised certain people seem eager to paint the picture the way it is, and look for other sources of profit in the division, but they certainly want to overlook the huge money sinks like the Zune.

Seriously guys. I'm thinking that X360 made even more than $89 million and it covered some losses on Zune and eHome, etc...

As far as being responsible for retailing Windows: What this means IMO is that the E&D division gets to absorb the costs of retailing the product without getting much revenue. The E&D revenue number is much too low for them to be getting Windows revenue. Doesn't make sense.

In conclusion: X360 profitable. Probably $100 million last quarter or more even.

EDD not only covers Office Mac sales it covers a lot more...

"EDD also leads the development efforts of our line of consumer software and hardware products including application software for Macintosh computers and Microsoft PC hardware products, and is responsible for all retail sales and marketing for Microsoft Office and the Windows operating systems."
Interesting, I didn't read that. With this info in mind, here's another number in the last year as a reference,
http://www.news.com/8301-13860_3-9861625-56.html?tag=nefd.top
January 30, 2008 3:39 PM PST
Office 2007 sales spur software market
Posted by Ina Fried | 14 comments

Spurred by sales of Microsoft's Office 2007, the software market hit its highest level since 1999, according to a report released Wednesday by the NPD Group.

Overall, the U.S. non-game PC software market at retail stores totaled $3.3 billion in 2007, a 15 percent increase over the $2.9 billion generated in 2006. The rise is even more notable, as sales had been essentially flat from 2000 through 2006.

Sales of Office 2007 are doing even better, up 100 percent compared with sales of Office 2003 in its initial months. That led Office to account for 17 percent (by dollar volume) of all software sold at retail stores last year.
That's sales of $561 million for Office in 2007. With Office 2008 released in Q3 2008, it'd be not far from reality to assume $140 million for the Office sales or $100 million profit in the US.

Interesting, I didn't read that. With this info in mind, here's another number in the last year as a reference,
http://www.news.com/8301-13860_3-9861625-56.html?tag=nefd.top
That's sales of $561 million for Office in 2007. With Office 2008 released in Q3 2008, it'd be not far from reality to assume $140 million for the Office sales or $100 million profit in the US.

"Interestingly, the combined year-over-year dollar volume growth from Microsoft Windows and Microsoft Office is roughly 80 percent of the year-over-year dollar volume growth for the entire PC software retail market," said Swenson. "Thus, one can't overstate just how important Windows Vista and Office are for U.S. retailers."

http://www.reuters.com/article/pressRelease/idUS144045+30-Jan-2008+BW20080130

I don't think you can expect Office to have the high level of sales it did last year nor make up 17% of all non gaming software sales.

C'mon, lets be adults about this.
Microsofts published numbers don't allow us to say diddly squat either way about the economic results of their XBox360 effort.
The information just can't be extracted from the data given.

It's not that hard to see if you don't have another agenda.

In 2007 they released Office for the pc in the 3rd quarter. The division had total revenue of $929 million and lost $315 million in the quarter. Is the mac version a year later somehow much more successful than the pc version at retail?

In 3q 2008 they announced increased revenue from console/games of ~$415 million. So non Xbox/games revenue was also up about $200 million. But earnings are up over $400million. Did Zune sales suddenly skyrocket and they chose not to mention it?

Of course you can also choose to believe that ehome and the pinball machine in the cafeteria are accounting for those profits if you're so inclined.

Link

Microsoft's Entertainment & Devices Division posted an $89 million operating profit. The company said cumulative Xbox 360 sales rose to more than 19 million during the quarter. Does the operating profit mean that the company is no longer losing money on the Xbox 360 hardware?

Colleen Healy, Microsoft's general manager of investor relations, didn't answer that question directly when I asked this afternoon. However, she said, "What I can confirm for you is we're making really good progress on that cost curve."

It's not that hard to see if you don't have another agenda.

In 2007 they released Office for the pc in the 3rd quarter. The division had total revenue of $929 million and lost $315 million in the quarter. Is the mac version a year later somehow much more successful than the pc version at retail?

In 3q 2008 they announced increased revenue from console/games of ~$415 million. So non Xbox/games revenue was also up about $200 million. But earnings are up over $400million. Did Zune sales suddenly skyrocket and they chose not to mention it?

Of course you can also choose to believe that ehome and the pinball machine in the cafeteria are accounting for those profits if you're so inclined.

Right, and someone else could quite easily say its you doing the 'spinning'.

Someone said that people are downplaying 360's profitability, but MS is doing that all by itself through its obscure accounts.

Chances are, the truth is probably somewhere in the middle. 360 profits are OK, but not bad.

Colleen Healy, Microsoft's general manager of investor relations, didn't answer that question directly when I asked this afternoon. However, she said, "What I can confirm for you is we're making really good progress on that cost curve."
xbox360 not making a profit on the hardware - CONFIRMED
the question is will this prevent them cutting the xbox360's price, it + the ps3 also need at least a $50 -$100 across the board pricecut, in the states getting outsold by the wii at nearly 3:1 shows they both need to do something drastic

xbox360 not making a profit on the hardware - CONFIRMED
the question is will this prevent them cutting the xbox360's price, it + the ps3 also need at least a $50 -$100 across the board pricecut, in the states getting outsold by the wii at nearly 3:1 shows they both need to do something drastic

Not necessarily. For example they could be taking a loss on the Core version but picking up profit on the Pro and Elite versions (or a variance of the theory). The statement itself was a confirmation of nothing to begin with, it could even be possible that Healy didnt know.

Well, a denial to answer a question directly is more often than not a proof of the answer that they'd rather not have to give. If MS were turning a healthy profit on XB360, why would they be hesitant to declare as much? Why would the director of Investor Relations not court investors with remarks that the investment into the gaming division is turning a profit as intended for their long-term mega-profit gameplan?

We don't have the full context so meaning may be getting lost, by at least 9 times out of 10, lack of a straight stress == no ;)

Well, a denial to answer a question directly is more often than not a proof of the answer that they'd rather not have to give. If MS were turning a healthy profit on XB360, why would they be hesitant to declare as much? Why would the director of Investor Relations not court investors with remarks that the investment into the gaming division is turning a profit as intended for their long-term mega-profit gameplan?

We don't have the full context so meaning may be getting lost, by at least 9 times out of 10, lack of a straight stress == no ;)

The question was only in regards to the hardware being profitable.

Back