MS big screw up: EDRAM

Status
Not open for further replies.
And how I think the EDRAM will hinder the X360 from having the better graphics it could have had.

Design flaw. Glaring.
Even when I thought Xenos might be better than RSX, I still thought "think how much better it could have been!"

Bill said:
And how I think the EDRAM will hinder the X360 from having the better graphics it could have had.

Design flaw. Glaring.
Even when I thought Xenos might be better than RSX, I still thought "think how much better it could have been!"

You know how good RSX is?

I'll ask this question again Bill - and it's important that you try to understand and answer it because your whole argument is based on a lack of understanding here. How many transistors are there in a single memory chip? Even better, when you look at a graphics cards how many transistors are there in total and what is the relative distribution of them across the board? Perhaps more to the point, if the Xenos chip was a standard PC GPU (ie. ROPs imbedded into the processing core and DDR-SDRAM was the local memory), how many transistors would be in the RAM?

the EDRAM was placed there for a reason...

since Xenos has a different design it needs a high bandwidth interface for post processing...

same as how ps2 was with its design...

I find it obvious that this thread is doomed to failure from the start. We're up to 27 posts, and 10 of those are from Bill ffs... can't you just can it now, mods?

"ROPs imbedded into the processing core and DDR-SDRAM was the local memory), how many transistors would be in the RAM?"

But X360 already has 512 of RAM!

It seems 2x/4x aa is not easy even with the EDRAM. But even if it was, would it be worth 95 million transistors? That's a second GPU!

Would ATI add 95m to a desktop GPU for free 2xaa? (and not even free)

Last edited by a moderator:
Bill said:
"ROPs imbedded into the processing core and DDR-SDRAM was the local memory), how many transistors would be in the RAM?"

It seems 2x/4x aa is not easy even with the EDRAM. But even if it was, would it be worth 95 million transistors? That's a second GPU!

Bill i can see were your coming from, that at this momnet in time the EDRAM looks like a complete watse, but would it not be better to wait for a few years and let Dev's get used to the EDRAM before any rants about how it's use'less start being shouted???

Time will tell

Bill said:
So? Do you want your PC graphics card constantly using the system RAM? Does the PS3 use system RAM for all its rendering? Does the PS2, PS1, XBox or GC do this?

Would ATI add 95m to a desktop GPU for free 2xaa? (and not even free)
Okay, I'll spell it out to you, since you're clearly NOT getting it. DRAM contains transistors - therefore any local memory for the graphics chip will contain transistors. It doesn't matter whether it's EDRAM or DDR-SDRAM, transistors are going to be needed for local memory.

I guess he means cache?

Well, then RSX would have much less than 10 MB.

I'm not following. PC GPU's dont have EDRAM. They work fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back