motherboard/RAM help!!

Milkman

Newcomer
I currently running on a pentium4 1.5Ghz
ATI Radeon 9800pro128mb
512MB RAM(2 sticks of 256mb)

The maximum amount of RAM I can put on the pc was 512MB it came with 256mb so I bought a stick of 256. If I change to a better motherboard that will support 8xAGP can I also increase my RAM since I would have a new motherboard :?:

You probably want a new processor there why have a nice fancy 9800pro when 1.5ghz pentium 4 is making you cpu limited.

im also probable going to get a p4 2.4 Ghz but for some reason I dont think I can put a HT p4 but I still need an answer for myRAMquestion :cry:

Yes most mother boards have four slots but if your dual chanelling it would be better to buy two lager sticks of ram.

thanks 8) but I need your help for my cpu issue my p4 1.5Ghz just doesent cut it for me I need something better I previously wanted to get a p4 HT cpu but the guy at thepc store told me my sockets didnt match the cpu is there a way I can fix this problem?

and what mobo do you recommend nothing to expensive I want atleast a gig of ram im thinking 2sticks of 512mb but do you recommend anything els?

Milkman said:
im also probable going to get a p4 2.4 Ghz but for some reason I dont think I can put a HT p4 but I still need an answer for myRAMquestion :cry:
You know, from your config I have the feeling that you're either stuck with old SDRAM or rare RDRAM, none of which will even work with a contemporary P4 motherboard. So, first you'd need to know what RAM you're currently using, to determine whether it'll work with the motherboard you're planning to buy. (that is, of course, if you want to keep your stuff)

Oh, and AGP 8x isn't going to buy you anything vs. AGP 4x, so don't get your hopes up.

incurable said:
Milkman said:
You know, from your config I have the feeling that you're either stuck with old SDRAM or rare RDRAM, none of which will even work with a contemporary P4 motherboard. So, first you'd need to know what RAM you're currently using, to determine whether it'll work with the motherboard you're planning to buy.

Oh, and AGP 8x isn't going to buy you anything vs. AGP 4x, so don't get your hopes up.

One thing is for sure I know I have either DDR-RAM or SD-RAM when I look at my pc there`s a sticker that will tell me but I need help for my cpu socket issue I want to get a p4 HT cpu but I dont have the right sockets can this issue be fixed :cry:

We first need to know what your mother board is and what socket it has.

Your price range would be nice too. It might turn out you can get a new motherboard, a cpu, and some ram for what your willing to spend.

Ill find all that stuff when I get home... my question is my cant take pentium 4 HT cpu's because I dont have the right socket. :cry: Can this be fixed? and were can I find the socket inside my pc? I want to upgrade my p4 1.5Ghz :(

I never bought any motherboard I only have the one that came from my pc and I still didnt get an answer for my question! :(

We have to know what your motherboard is to know the answer. You can also open up your case and see if it is on the motherboard somewhere if all else fails you can ask the people you bought the pc from what motherboard you have. :?

Also how much are you willing to spend for this you might be able to get a new motherboard and processor for what you are willing to spend I could check prices for you. 8)

Milkman- the socket is on the motherboard. if you get a new motherboard then you choose what kind of socket you want and then buy a motherboard with that socket.

So, if you upgrade your motherboard then yes you can put a P4 HT in it. However, I would suggest an Athlon64 3000+ Socket 939.

well, *I'm* not buying that one, but I wasnt asking for me. The reason I'd not buy it is that I am going to get a 90nm one and a new PCI-Express video card.

However, that is a very nice deal. and a LOT faster than a 2.4 P4 even with HT

Sounds like Milkman has a socket 423 Intel chipset i850. That would mean the memory is rambus :oops: :cry: and not useable on newer motherboards.

I would suggest a AMD Athlon64 and a socket 939 motherboad and proceser and a 1 gig ket of DDR400(PC3200) ram and salvage the rest from the old system.

Back