Mother: my son learned how to steal cars from his PSX

Uh, newer OBD2 computer-controlled cars do, yes. But if you take your old 1982 Mazda GLC station wagon out back and floor it, it will continue to rev until you break a valve spring or a rod lets go.
Um dude even cars from the 80s have rev limiters, pretty much having a PCM= rev limiter :!:
Plus said car prolly runs out steam right around the redline so if he manages to get it in 2nd or 3rd he prolly wont be able to do much damage.

Gearboxes don't. Your engine might not explode if you drive on the rev limiter in first gear, but I bet your gearbox strips in the first hour of your police chase.
Um what makes you think a gearbox will grenade at 6000-7000~ rpms where most cars have the rev limiters?
I'm pretty sure it's only an issue once you get above 8000 rpms and that's pretty much limited to automatics.
For example, a 90s tbird will start having problems above 5500~rpm because of the shitty torque convertor on it.

I never knew cars came with yellow triangle buttons or D-pads. But, hey, I learned how to drive a car in the early 80s thanks to:

Indy_500_2600_ScreenShot2.jpg
lol how stupid. There are more chances someone would learn how to drive by watching dad or mom drive than playing a PSX game.

:LOL:

Um dude even cars from the 80s have rev limiters, pretty much having a PCM= rev limiter :!:
Plus said car prolly runs out steam right around the redline so if he manages to get it in 2nd or 3rd he prolly wont be able to do much damage.

It's not specifically linked to a computer at all; there are even vacuum-actuated rev limiters in cars. Still, while my original account may not be wholly accurate, it's not hard to over-rev an older car. I've personally witnessed one Oldsmobile Cutlass and one Dodge Daytona grenade motors due simply keeping their foot in it for WAY too long and simply passing right past the red into the black-end of the tach. Both cars were mid-late 80's.

The comment about the gearbox goes like this:

Take a brand-spanking-new car with a 5-speed manual
Hop on the freeway.
Attain a road speed of 90mph
Press in clutch
Put the car in 2nd gear.
Release clutch.
Kaboom.

No amount of electronic or vacuum revlimit will affect a mechanical over-rev from your gearbox. Quite a few people learned this the hard way when the RSX-S was brand new. Rice boys would attempt hauling ass by shifting quickly from 1->2->3->2 ****CRUNNNCCHHH**** (insert OMFGWTFBBQ?!?!?!? shortly therafter)

Ninja edit I bet you want to tell me it's way to hard to do that too... Tell me how hard this sounded. Possible NSFW for an "oh shit" at the very end...

It's not "hard" to blow a motor.

Last edited by a moderator:
Arcade it was dual steering wheels with a pedal and H/L shifter, the original TV version had them little rotary cylinder controllers...didn't it?

It's not specifically linked to a computer at all; there are even vacuum-actuated rev limiters in cars. Still, while my original account may not be wholly accurate, it's not hard to over-rev an older car. I've personally witnessed one Oldsmobile Cutlass and one Dodge Daytona grenade motors due simply keeping their foot in it for WAY too long and simply passing right past the red into the black-end of the tach. Both cars were mid-late 80's.

The comment about the gearbox goes like this:

Take a brand-spanking-new car with a 5-speed manual
Hop on the freeway.
Attain a road speed of 90mph
Press in clutch
Put the car in 2nd gear.
Release clutch.
Kaboom.

No amount of electronic or vacuum revlimit will affect a mechanical over-rev from your gearbox. Quite a few people learned this the hard way when the RSX-S was brand new. Rice boys would attempt hauling ass by shifting quickly from 1->2->3->2 ****CRUNNNCCHHH**** (insert OMFGWTFBBQ?!?!?!? shortly therafter)

Ninja edit I bet you want to tell me it's way to hard to do that too... Tell me how hard this sounded. Possible NSFW for an "oh shit" at the very end...

It's not "hard" to blow a motor.
Ya I know you can easily kill a motor by downshifting at too high rpms.. I've seen the RSX video.. hilarous.
I also know about mecanic rev limits via distributor, I do believe old muscle cars used them ;)
Most cars on the road today though have rev limiters.

Back