Most stupid thing you ever did in a game

Deepak

B3D Yoddha
Veteran
In MGS1 (PS1), at the beginging of 2nd disc, you reach indoor (after killing Sniper Wolf I think) and you are required to slide/walk with back to the wall. Unfortunately I didn't know that Snake can slide with back to the wall...so I tried everything I could think of, went back to see if I missed anything. You won't believe that I was stuck there for 2-3 months IIRC and went mad. It is only after reading a walkthrough I came to know about it. How is that for a gaming stupidity?

:LOL:

In my case, Captive on the Amiga (doesn't really belong in the console forum, I know...). In the first mission you enter the base and have a corridor 4 tiles long, ending in a wall. I got stuck there. There was no way forward. I read the manual a few times and couldn't find a solution. I can't remember where the solution came from, as we didn't have the internet readily available to look stuff up, but anyhow, someone else had the same problem and it turns out you have to Right-click the forwards button to push, and this wall was on casters so could move. This info was in the manual, but I missed it no less than three times.

A friend played Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance to completion on the PS2, his first game for the console, without ever using his magic abilities. All the mana potions he picked up, he just sold as he couldn't see a use for them.

In Dragon Quest 8 I just beat Dhoulmagus and like an idiot I forgot to save, and I died but that's not that bad part, I had over 150000 gold, and in DG8 when you died they cut you gold in Half to resurrect you, I was so heated that i loaded the game up and did it all over again.

I would say starting to play Dark Messiah..since the game won't let me get past level 2 ;)

More recently I wasted tons of time (not really wasted) in Final Fantasy XII leveling to get more hit points. Not knowing I was sitting on like 1000 license points for each of my characters. I started using them on the license board and realized there was a bunch of +100 +200 +500 hp squares. Needless to say they helped :LOL:

Last edited by a moderator:
I would say starting to play Dark Messiah..since the game won't let me get past level 2 ;)

More recently I wasted tons of time (not really wasted) in Final Fantasy XII leveling to get more hit points. Not knowing I was sitting on like 1000 license points for each of my characters. I started using them on the license board and realized there was a bunch of +100 +200 +500 hp squares. Needless to say they helped :LOL:

Really?? where? I mean, on what direction, i'll find them... :D

Dumbest thing?

I really don't know.

I guess if anything, probably spamming out 2/3 of my items (including elixirs) against Beatrix in FF9, because I didn't realise the fights were no-win. =c

Really?? where? I mean, on what direction, i'll find them... :D

On the side that is abilities are on not the weapon side ( right side of the board). I'll give you a little hint. All the boards are identical for all the characters so use them after saving or at a save point .Fiddle around and use all of the points you can to see what is on the board. Use all the guys that way you can see all the spots on the board. Then just restart and hit only the squares you want or need. That way you don't use all your points for nothing . The HP ones are toward the bottom of the right side of the board not the top if that helps. You have to have quite a bit saved up to get +100 +500 and +200 but if you find at least the + 500 you don't have to waste your points right away to get to the +100 +200 ones. Choosing to use them at a save point is key in case you screw up. You can always restart and do it again :smile:

hm.... define "dumb". Is it dumb to use your co-op buddy as a kamikaze walking bomb in Halo? :p

I've accidentally chainsawed some citizens in Dead Rising whom I was trying to save... I guess they wanted to know what it was like.

And that one time in Tetris....man...

I havent really got a stupidest moment, but i have the got the most annoying one.

PS1 and Silent Hill, in the school trying the solve the "piano" puzzle, that puzzle PIIIIISSSSSTTTTT me off really bad, just thinking about it now makes my blood boil :devilish: .

I spend like 3 hours looking for that one Colossus in the water in SotC just because I didn't realize that tiny path was actually walkable. Felt pretty stupid afterwards

I spend like 3 hours looking for that one Colossus in the water in SotC just because I didn't realize that tiny path was actually walkable. Felt pretty stupid afterwards

Ha the same thing happen to me. I went there and I thought I should have gone somewhere else. So I spent lots of hours trying to find the right place. And it wasnt just that. When the light on the sword was green I thought it indicated that I was near the Colossus. This made things EVEN worse, since I ended up in places that were MILES away from the initial right spot I found, thinking that my sword was indicating I was at the right place. Well, I found hours later accidentally that the green light was there when there wasnt enough sun light to reflect on it :LOL:

Last edited by a moderator:
That SotC moments sound familiar. There were a few times when I got stuck in a game and felt pretty stupid.

Most lately that was in HL2 Episode 1, where I got stuck in that pitch black room with the wirefence blocking the way. I just couldn't figure out how to open the gate. I tried dozens of things that I thought were sensible, but none worked. In the end I had to look online for some help. I actually don't clearly remember what object it was that I needed (was it the shotgun?), but I do remember that I knocked stuff over when I was picking something up from behind a fence with the gravity gun and the object I needed was thrown somewhere almost completely out of sight in the proccess. Even after I knew what it was I was looking for, I almost didn't find it. Stupid physics playing tricks on me! ;)

I recall spending a lot of time hitting walls in the original Half-Life out of frustration. There was the one time I played Doom against a friend over a modem, and he didn't realize that the Shift key makes you run. Final score was 76-3.

Had to be in Halo when I finally rescued Captain Keyes and everyone is in the hallway outside the entrance to the detention cell. I accidentally dropped a grenade and one of the NPCs yelled "Clumsy bastard!" and everyone got thrown in the air.:runaway:

Playing Shadowrun RPG on the SNES. At one point you are thrown in a junkyard prison and told you have to earn $1000 in the arena to buy your freedom. Wandering around the level, I enter an enclosed room containing a guy who attacks me. I kill him and he drops $10. Exit the room, re-enter, he respawns, kill him again, another $10. Ok... Many hours later I have murdered sufficient people for their pocket change to amass $1000.

On the way out I go a little further north than I had been before. There I find a series of boss fights that reward $100, $200, $300 and $400... I breeze through the bosses (and most the the rest of the game) easily because I am so incredibly buffed after my marathon level grind.

I probably would have given up quickly, but the fact that I was tag-teaming through the game with a friend made it much more bearable -and much more sad that neither of us thought to look around a little more.

I've had some stupid moments.

For example, Eternal Darkness. It took me about 3 hours to find my way in Chapter 9 or 10, when the solution was right in front of me.

It was a MGS moment... when I accidentally clicked on a C4 while standing near it because I forgot where I put it earlier on... And I forgot to look at the map...

Back