Monitor Issue...Everything turns bluish

trust-no1

Newcomer
got an issue here with monitor...now all of a sudden everything on screen turned a bluish color..now i noticed that if i move that small cylinder shaped object thats on the video adapater plug thats connected from monitor to video card (think its the filter ??), screen goes back to normal again, but if i let it go, it will go all bluish..anyone know what is wrong?

could the filter be screwed or something? why does lifting it up fix this problem though...anyway i can replace the filter without buying a new monitor?

thanx guys

Sounds like you have a bent pin, try turning off your PC and disconnecting the monitor cable and looking to see if any of the pins in there are bent.

You can straighten 'em out with a pair of tweezers if'n you're gentle & careful, although I prefer a set of small alligator pliars.

It's pretty much always a case of bad contact somewhere when one color channel goes out like that, particularly if wiggling the cord "fixes" it. ;)

thats the thing, if i wiggle the cord itself it doenst fix it..i have to lift the filter itself..still bent pins? :?

trust-no1 said:
thats the thing, if i wiggle the cord itself it doenst fix it..i have to lift the filter itself..still bent pins? :?
When you say "lift the filter" I'm assuming you mean the connector at the end of the cord that comes out of the back of the monitor that you connect to the back of your PC to your VGA out....if so then definately yes. :)

That would mean the problem is right at the connector there. (It's not a filter ;) )

Power down, unscrew the two thumbscrews on either side of the connector where it attaches to your computer and pull it off gently and look inside of it. There should be a bunch of pins, and I'm betting that one of them is bent.

i don't mean the connector, i mean that cylinder shaped object thats embedded onto the cord just before the connector itself... :?

Damn , didn't work :?

Problem is its not the connector, if i wiggle it, it doesn't change the screen, its only if a wiggle the 'cylinder shaped object' thats just before the connector itself, if I lift that thing up , it goes back to normal :(

Nope none of them were bent.. Its that 'cylinder' shaped object thats causing it i think cause as I said if i lift it up it fixes it, if i leave it, it goes bluish..so hmm I dont know

what is that cylinder shaped thing anyway? filter?

If you don't have a bent pin, then you probably have a broken wire between the ferrite filter and the plug - when you lift the filter, you are making contact...

It's quite common to have broken wires in that area - if the cable has been jammed between a desk and a wall for a long period, or bashed repeatedly against a wall by a desk. Usually it's on the monitor end rather than the PC end though.

My folks' LCD has a similar problem except it's fine by default and goes yellowish when you wiggle it. The problem is between the filter and the DVI plug at the PC end.

yeah i got this issue with my modem..i dont know if its related or not but ill share my experience

have had a problem with my dialup 56k modem..all of a sudden it started making these strange crackling noises..now sometimes it doesnt effect the download rate..but someitmes it does and sometimes it would disconnect me from the internet..i unplugged the cord from back of modem that connects it to the computer and still the crackling noise occurs..same issue with unplugging the phone plug from the modem..it seems to be the power plug thats plugged into the modem thats cuasing the crackling...1 strange thing i ahve noticed is, if i connect to the net, and turn my monitor off and leave it running for 5 mins or so..if i then turn ON the monitor..as soon as it turns on,, the modem would start crackling and disconnect from the net..I did this procedure 3 times and it disconnected 3 times...anyway the monitor can be causing the modem too crackle and disconnect ???

seeems seriosuly weird if monitor is causing it

o_O

Back