Monitor Decision for PS3

Where is the edit button? I don't see it on my PS3 browser.

You don't have to install the monitor to a computer 1sr do you? And is there a way to brighten the screen more. At CC (didn't go back yet), the 22" brightness was at the highest...and wasn't good enough for me. Is there some setting on the PS3?

You must reach a certain member level to get the edit function, you can read about it in the Site Feedback forum, it's a sticky there.

That sucks. I went back to Circuit City and tried VF on the 24" Samsing and had the same issue with it on 720p. I put it on 1080i and it worked fine. I also tried 1080p and it looked sweeter. I also tried the 20" and 22" again. They didn't support 1080i but VF5 still worked well on 1080p. However, my problem is. What if I have this issue with another game and it don't do 1080p well. On the 20" I tried Need For Speed Carbon at 1080p and it looked jagged..but does play fien on 720p. But that's the only problem i can see is that 720p nor 1080p would work well on a game. But a new option arised. A 22" Gateway which the guy who was helping me (who is also a gamer, which helps) recommended before I went over. This is it here.

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Gateway-22-Widescreen-Monitor-FPD2275W/sem/rpsm/oid/165326/catOid/-12965/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

The contrast is 700:1. From what I've been hearing...its bad. WTH? I looked at it and was like :oops:. I didn't look bad at all. Was a little lighter than the 22" Samsung. I don't know if it supported 1080i but its aspect ratio was 16:9 so VF5 played fine at 720p. It also has mutiple connections like VGA, Composite, Component, and DVI with HDCP. Man...now its a harder decsion. Which 22" should I go for? Samsung or Gateway.

I don't see how anyone could call the Gateway 22" bad in context with 95% of the rest of the 22" monitors on the market: They all use the same panel.

I own the Gateway 22" and love it, its a wonderful monitor that has features no other 22" currently has. It has the widest selection of inputs (though no HDMI, but does support HDCP, so your trusty HDMI to DVI cable will work) and also has awesome features like Picture-in-Picture (a must for me) and 1:1 pixel mapping. It runs a little more than others (but did receive a price cut not long ago) but its well worth it.

I'd give it a shot at the store, you're really going to have to pick around its setting (the "buttons" are hard at first, but over time become second nature) to find out what works best for you.

With 700:1 contrast, it wouldn't surprise me if that Gateway contains the exact same Samsung panel as the 225BW model that I have also has. Samsung makes panels for a lot of different manufacturors. You can probably find out online whether that is the case. Now you understand why I recommended the 225BW as being good enough. ;)

I went to the Costco website and they have a 22" Sceptre for $250 and another 22" Sceptre for $270. I'm going to the store tomorrow to check them out.

I went to the Costco website and they have a 22" Sceptre for $250 and another 22" Sceptre for $270. I'm going to the store tomorrow to check them out.

Yeah, you're certainly doing the right thing with checking all of these out in person. I believe the Sceptre have HDMI and 1:1 pixel mapping. But with two models that might have changed (when I did all my own research there was only one).

One has HDMI as you said. The other has DVI with HDCP, 2000:1 Contrast and 2ms refresh...or...whatever. That one is $20 more. I'll post links later tonight.

One has HDMI as you said. The other has DVI with HDCP, 2000:1 Contrast and 2ms refresh...or...whatever. That one is $20 more. I'll post links later tonight.

The 2000:1 contrast are really inflated numbers. Dynamic contrast or however its marketed.

NVM! I went in the store..and..I had no idea...you had to be a member to go in screw that. I wento Best Buy and tried more monitors I tried the 22" Acer 1st. It look good, bright screen, wonderful. Next I tried the 21.6 Samsung. It was better and is cheaper. The picture was more sharper. Still had the issue with VF5 but 1080i and 1080p handled that for me. But then.....I got..a "sneak peak" at the new 21.6" LG coming in next week. It wasn't even on display yet but they took one out for me to use. OMG! Its picture was brighter than the Samsung. It look excellent...however..a dark cloud loomed. (Yea, I went there. Shut it up! :devilish: ) 1 issue made it clear that the Samsung was a better choice for me. I put the resolution to 1080p. When it went to it....you could see lines going across the screen. I put on Tekken 5 DR and with those lines...UGH!!!...ruined it! The asoociates and the supervisor agreed with me. So we took out another that they had in the back and had the same issue. I was pissed! Such perfection ruined! However, it worked completely fone at 720p. I have NEVER had this issue with any other monitor. So now, I may just get the 21.6" Samsung. The regular price is $300.I'll get that instead of paying an extra $50+ for .4 of an inch.

The 21.6" is going to look a bit more crisp depending on how far away from it you were. Also, brightness seems a bit of an odd thing to judge for quality of screen, did you try to lower or raise it on the other screens? I know many monitors do not come at their highest level (because that is often much brighter than people want).

They were already at the highest setting. The 21.6" was more crisp than the 22" Acer.

Well of course the 21.6" is going to always be more crisp than the 22", you simply only notice this however depending on how far away from the screen you are. If you're closer the 21.6" is going to appear sharper, same resolution, smaller screen means increased pixel dot pitch.

I'm a little surprised that you want a monitor so extremely bright, this will put horrible strain on your eyes if you play or use the monitor in the dark. For example I keep mine at around 50% as much more and its simply to bright.

For those who have the Samsung monitors - do they have a 1:1 pixel mapping function in the menu?

I tried talking to my local Samsung guys, but they had no idea, and never got back to me on it :/

Cheers :]

Back