Mix DivX with subtitles

MatiasZ

Regular
Hy everybody, I don't know if this belongs here but didn't know where to post it so here it goes.

I have a movie in DivX format and I also have the subtitles in .sub format, but I have a DVD DivX player which doesn't recognize these subtitles. Anybody knows of a way or software to make the subtitle part of the video image, so that by playing the video file the subtitle is WITHIN the image?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Matias

carpediem said:
Install vobsub and use a media player than can handle it, or install the directshow filter ffdshow which also handles subs I believe.
Sounds like the original poster means a standalone player that doesn't support subs, so the way to achieve this would be to install VobSub plus the VirtualDub plugin that comes with it and reencode the movie. A short guide here.

MatiasZ said:
Hy everybody, I don't know if this belongs here but didn't know where to post it so here it goes.

I have a movie in DivX format and I also have the subtitles in .sub format, but I have a DVD DivX player which doesn't recognize these subtitles. Anybody knows of a way or software to make the subtitle part of the video image, so that by playing the video file the subtitle is WITHIN the image?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Matias
.Subs are a bitmap format and is used an an extension by a few different sub programs . If your player can read them, but the file has to be named the same as the movie file, ie movie.avi and movie.sub

If your player can't handle them, you should try converting them to a text format like SRT. First install Vobsub and use Subresync to save the file out as .srt . You will have to help it build up a library of bitmaps while it does it's OCR. Then you run it though Subtitle Workshop to do any tidying up or automatically fixing any timing errors.

Put the subtitles and the movie file (correctly named) on a ISO DVD and it should work if your player supports SRT subtitles.

Alternatively, you could use something like ConvertXToDVD to convert the file into a standard DVD format with the subtitles built in.

Last edited by a moderator:
Find a subtitle editor/converter. Standalone DivX players typically do not support MicroDVD subtitle format (*.sub), but do support SubRip (*.srt).

Zaphod said:
Sounds like the original poster means a standalone player that doesn't support subs, so the way to achieve this would be to install VobSub plus the VirtualDub plugin that comes with it and reencode the movie. A short guide here

Exactly! that's what I was looking for.

Bouncing Zabaglione Bros said:
If your player can't handle them, you should try converting them to a text format like SRT. First install Vobsub and use Subresync to save the file out as .srt . You will have to help it build up a library of bitmaps while it does it's OCR. Then you run it though Subtitle Workshop to do any tidying up or automatically fixing any timing errors

That sounds like a good option. Maybe the player CAN recognize .SRT but no .SUB. I' will try that first to see if I can make it detect them, or otherwise I'll try to embed it in the video file. Thank you all for the answers! I'll let you know how it goes ;)

Regards!

Last edited by a moderator:
MatiasZ said:
That sounds like a good option. Maybe the player CAN recognize .SRT but no .SUB. I' will try that first to see if I can make it detect them, or otherwise I'll try to embed it in the video file. Thank you all for the answers! I'll let you know how it goes ;)

3 options:
A) Use VLC! It supports all subtitles formats.
B) Use VobSub
C) Reencode the movie with Virtual Dub + VobSub plugin to make permanent subtitles.

I've managed to read the subtitles by saving them as .SRT. now my DVD player reads them without problem! Thank you all for you answers :)

Back