Middle-earth: Shadows of Mordor

I don't know, the game looks kinda average graphically to me like nothing really stands out and levels clearly look crossgen. But since I'm a LOTR fan I might pick it up at some stage tho.

Is the game good? It always looked like a AA average fare to me. Lacks any defining character.

At the moment it seems like it has more character than just about any other next gen title. Heck, it's pretty much the first time a developer actually went ahead and did what everyone's been clamoring for: use the new machines to do more than simply making a prettier version of what's been done before.
And before anyone goes "but there's a PS3 and a 360 version too!". The PS3 and 360 versions of the game actually get a heavily paired-down version of the transformative Nemesis system (if it's even in there at all). The old gen basically gets the game without its spine.

And don't worry: it looks really handsome too.

Installing now on PS4 even if I AM FROM EU :runaway: :runaway:

EDIT
It's downloaded but it's locked up until release day :( :(

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, mate! I'll wait a bit for benchmarks...but PS4 seems to be a good option.

Looks pretty well optimised for the PC as long as you keep away from some of the ultra settings. A 2GB card like the 670 will die at Ultra textures:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PCSvA-70yaw

That said, with (almost) everything else on ultra and textures on High the 670 is averaging 49 fps in the above video at 1080p. I'm not sure how that compares with the PS4's "unlocked 60fps" but I've also heard reports that the PC benchmark is pretty stressful compared to normal gameplay so I suspect it compares okay with potentially higher graphical settings.

Looking forward to the no doubt imminent DF face off.

My forum buddy reported this - i3, Radeon 7750, mix of medium and high, ~50fps on 1080p

He's very satisfied with the optimization on PC.

Looks pretty well optimised for the PC as long as you keep away from some of the ultra settings. A 2GB card like the 670 will die at Ultra textures:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PCSvA-70yaw

That said, with (almost) everything else on ultra and textures on High the 670 is averaging 49 fps in the above video at 1080p. I'm not sure how that compares with the PS4's "unlocked 60fps" but I've also heard reports that the PC benchmark is pretty stressful compared to normal gameplay so I suspect it compares okay with potentially higher graphical settings.

Looking forward to the no doubt imminent DF face off.

The Benchmark in the game is incredibly unrealiable, with it giving figures that are overtly optimistic.

I ran it and On high with a 2gb 760 with everything else on ultra I get huge dips down to single digits and maybe a 35 average, even though the bench came back with an av of +60.

I would say ignore any benches from the game until they patch it and just play the game. Set textures to medium if you have a 2gb card or less and drop lighting/tessellation and blending to get around 60 with dips but the ram to vram stutter is gone.

The Benchmark in the game is incredibly unrealiable, with it giving figures that are overtly optimistic.

I ran it and On high with a 2gb 760 with everything else on ultra I get huge dips down to single digits and maybe a 35 average, even though the bench came back with an av of +60.

I would say ignore any benches from the game until they patch it and just play the game. Set textures to medium if you have a 2gb card or less and drop lighting/tessellation and blending to get around 60 with dips but the ram to vram stutter is gone.

A 760 shouldn't get anywhere near 60fps at Ultra with high textures in the benchmark. It's a slower GPU than the 670 and in the YT video I posted above that only scores 49fps in the benchmark with motion blur and DoF turned off. So 35fps from a 760 with those features on sounds pretty reasonable. Bare in mind a 970 at Ultra settings only scores about 73fps (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9Cu9Wb-6l0) so no way could a 760 score +60fps at the same settings (asiude from textures).

Curious to know if they're using some kind of virtual texturing. I thought part of the issue virtual texturing tried to address was runaway budgets for GPU memory. 6GB for GPU memory seems kind of crazy. 2GB seems small, in any case.

Curious to know if they're using some kind of virtual texturing. I thought part of the issue virtual texturing tried to address was runaway budgets for GPU memory. 6GB for GPU memory seems kind of crazy. 2GB seems small, in any case.
My two year old 2012 MacBook Pro has 2Gb GDDR5 and my 2013 iMac has 4Gb GDDR5.

When older Macs have that sort of VRAM you have to wonder if 6Gb is crazy or not. I think increasing VRAM budgets for some games just kind of crept up on people :yes:

the ps4 shots looks like it got AA, from what I have heard the PC version doesn't even have an option for AA?

Yeah the PS4 does seem to be using some form of AA which is either lacking or broken oin the PC version - broken (or less effective) wouldn't surprise me as that's happened before with the Lego games.

The PC version does offer downsampling within the game which would obviously produce superior image quality but at a massive performance hit.

Although it's possible to get the game running well on a wide variety of PC hardware I'm starting to wonder just how well optimised it is compared with the console releases. The DF head to head will be quite revealing.

It's an interesting comparison and not an unexpected conclusion. It makes AMD's recent launch of the 285 with only 2GB of RAM seem pretty absurd.

You do realize the 780 Ti cost like $700 and comes with a whopping 3GB the last year+. My bro's got a 780 (no Ti) he paid $650 for at the not-so-long-ago time, gonna be severely limited if he gets 4k monitor. That's a little more absurd imo. /OT

For this game being 900P on Xb1, seems the perfect type. Just like Lords of the Fallen for example, graphically intensive but in a very "rough" non-optimized looking way, by a middle-to-small size dev studio...I can kinda guess what's gonna be 900P. Ok granted there's lots of 900P to go around on XO.

Not sure why all the love of this game editorially, on the surface looks pretty terrible.

Game is awesome. Playing on Xbox One. Looks really nice. I can sit and kill guys endlessly. So entertaining.

Is Rocksteady involved in this game in anyway, because it's basically the Batman Arkham games reskinned as Lord Of The Rings. Fantastic. Brutally violent, but incredibly satisfying. Nemesis system is cool. So far I've only been kicking ass.

Happy this game is around to tide me over until Batman is out.

Game is awesome. Playing on Xbox One. Looks really nice. I can sit and kill guys endlessly. So entertaining.

I've ordered the PlayStation 4 version on Blu-ray, which eleases tomorrow here. £40 on Amazon vs. £55 digital purchase on PSN. WTF.

The Verge had an amusing/amusing/disturbing perspective on Shadows of Mordor regarding the game's torture terrorism theme describing the protagonist as the Jack Bauer of Middle Earth.

Just makes me want to play it more :yes:

Is Rocksteady involved in this game in anyway, because it's basically the Batman Arkham games reskinned as Lord Of The Rings. Fantastic. Brutally violent, but incredibly satisfying. Nemesis system is cool. So far I've only been kicking ass.

Happy this game is around to tide me over until Batman is out.
I had the other LoTR games on the Xbox 360 and after reading the Polygon review I can't help it but want this game. Still, I am not planning on getting too many games, save Halo The Master Chief Collection, this one, and...

I've ordered the PlayStation 4 version on Blu-ray, which eleases tomorrow here. £40 on Amazon vs. £55 digital purchase on PSN. WTF.

The Verge had an amusing/amusing/disturbing perspective on Shadows of Mordor regarding the game's torture terrorism theme describing the protagonist as the Jack Bauer of Middle Earth.

Just makes me want to play it more :yes:
Please share your impressions with us when you play the game. I am truly fascinated with Shadows of Mordor.

And totally torn, because another movie based game is around the corner, which I fancy as much as this one, Alien Isolation. :smile2:

There are too many great games coming out.

Hope the new Alien Isolation manages to instil the same feeling of fear like Alien vs Predator did. It was probably the scariest game I've ever played and it was sooo good. Perhaps the best horror game which ever graced any device I had.

Back