Microsoft's universal Windows app

Starx

Regular
a07915-1396470055.jpg

What we're going to enable is your universal Windows applications running on the Xbox
The universal Windows app allows users to implement and tweak code from a single interface that can be reused across several platforms. According to Myerson, the feature will not be available in "the next few days or the next few weeks," but said that the company simply wanted to share the news.

http://www.polygon.com/2014/4/2/5574750/microsofts-universal-windows-app-xbox-one-any-platform

Microsoft's new universal Windows apps run everywhere, from phones to the Xbox One
Microsoft is introducing universal Windows apps, a way for developers to create a single app that works across Windows phones, tablets, PCs, and the Xbox One. "All of us want the same app experiences across all devices," David Treadwell, a Microsoft operating system executive said while introducing the new type of apps. "Yet today there’s no easy way to create apps that work across all form factors."
http://www.theverge.com/2014/4/2/55...al-apps-run-across-windows-tablets-phones-pcs

We have universal apps already. They usually come free from the manufacturer when you buy the device. LOL

I am guessing the manufacturers would love this because its so consumer friendly but the reason we don't readily see this from apps is because app developers would have to drive this type of portable use. Problem is, I don't think they have any real motivation to push this type of feature.

Three devices equal three potential purchases kind of looks better to a developer than one purchase for 3 devices.

As far as it matters to Xb1, I dont see why I would ever give a crap.

This reminds me of remote play or other things people are always prattling on about in the gaming/tech space, that I just see absolutely almost zero compelling about. I can only wonder, who the heck cares, and why are people always talking about it?

I've never "bought" an app on X360, and dont plan to ever on a console more or less. And I dont see why I would. Hell, I've maybe actually paid for about 5 apps on my smartphone in 3-4 years.

Also, there's just no crossover between what you do a console and a phone/tablet/pc. For example, One of the very few apps I've paid for is called PDA Net/Foxfi, it essentially gets around carrier tethering restrictions and makes your phone a wifi hotspot when you turn it on. Cool, I paid 6.99 or something for this app, because that's very valuable and worth it. Now, why would I ever buy such a thing on Xbox One?

So, if I want to make a universal app, do I need VS2014? Or VS Online?
Right now still running 2012

I cannot wait! This is literally the worst aspect of wp development.

Yup.

So, if I want to make a universal app, do I need VS2014? Or VS Online?
Right now still running 2012

I just got the email about it, it says I need Visual Studio 2013 update 2 RC to begin making universal apps. Also on the email it only says phone, tablet and pc as far as the unification goes. There's no mention of xb1 on the email so I presume that means xb1 support is still some weeks away.

so you can create a program that runs on any ms device including xb1
so i create a windows game havnt I just bypassed ms's limitations regarding xb1 games ?

so you can create a program that runs on any ms device including xb1
so i create a windows game havnt I just bypassed ms's limitations regarding xb1 games ?

What do you mean ? To get into any of the stores ( WP , Win8/rt , Xbox one) you have to be certified.

As far as it matters to Xb1, I dont see why I would ever give a crap.

This reminds me of remote play or other things people are always prattling on about in the gaming/tech space, that I just see absolutely almost zero compelling about. I can only wonder, who the heck cares, and why are people always talking about it?

I've never "bought" an app on X360, and dont plan to ever on a console more or less. And I dont see why I would. Hell, I've maybe actually paid for about 5 apps on my smartphone in 3-4 years.

Also, there's just no crossover between what you do a console and a phone/tablet/pc. For example, One of the very few apps I've paid for is called PDA Net/Foxfi, it essentially gets around carrier tethering restrictions and makes your phone a wifi hotspot when you turn it on. Cool, I paid 6.99 or something for this app, because that's very valuable and worth it. Now, why would I ever buy such a thing on Xbox One?

There are any number of applications that could prove useful. Plex, XBMC, VLC, Spotify are some of the most commonly asked for ones. It opens up 3rd parties to place their media streaming applications on there without MS getting too involved(they apparently will heavily curate this and applications must be approved before dev builds are run on console units) Maybe some home automation such that voice can be used to control things. Snap a baby monitor application while you game. Any public APIs could be used such that you could stream your music from a Dropbox account, or any such things. Lots of possibilities for things to do on a TV. Let the devs out there think of things.

Now, why would I ever buy such a thing on Xbox One?
That's the point, if you bought it on a phone you can potentially have access to it on the phone and XBOX One as well at no extra cost. There are a number of apps that I'd find useful to use on other devices that I have on my phone. Additionally it doesn't just have to apply to apps but, also, potentially games that are available on the Windows 8 / Phone store as well.

You realise you are not representative of all users in the console space right? I.e, there are other people who have different usage patterns to you. This is why there is more than one console. For those other people. The ones not like you.

MKV players, Bitcoin miners...
Not completely crazy. The PS3 had an official folding at home app, but why not Minecraft servers or equivalents for other games. When apps for mobile operations systems were first proffered (EPOC32, PalmOS) with a few exception like core utilities such as password/ID managers, apps weren't widely popular. People mostly used their PIM (calendar/contacts) stuff but now it's difficult to imagine a mobile ecosystem without them.

Consoles may well be the same for some people.

I was just thinking that having 6 cores and available GPU with 5 gb of shared RAM with a very low power footprint that supports openCL may actually be alright.

You may even be able to watch TV or movies or something while it was doing its thing.

For myself, I use Foscam cameras at home and right now I can't get the IE browser to view the camera. I plan to write up some a simple camera app to get Foscam stuff running on my X1. Snap and watch movies/TV and enjoy a theatre night at home in the basement without having to worry about missing the baby crying.

Back