Microsoft Xbox One X Scorpio Price Prediction and Reaction

Predict Scorpio's launch price:

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
So using the typical conversion euro to dollars pricing that would be $399.

Yeah, i don't know about that.

It's pretty much what I expect for the base version by this point.

Not really too much reason not to be IMO. It should be pretty similar to a PS4 Pro in BOM being the SOC is similar in size.

It's also about the same size as the Xbox One SOC originally was, albeit one node down (28nm vs 16nm), that's another clue IMO.

They'll do a higher priced 2TB bundle @ $449 probably. That will take the ASP above $400.

It's pretty much what I expect for the base version by this point.

Not really too much reason not to be IMO. It should be pretty similar to a PS4 Pro in BOM being the SOC is similar in size.
Ignoring that Scorpio has more expensive RAM and the UHD drive, increasing BOM above 4Pro, it's a premium product that can command a markup. ie. The Elite Controller costs vastly more than the BOM difference with a conventional controller. That there is your 'much reason' to be priced above $400. It'd be stupid to sell it cheaper if it'll sell out at $450+; that's just throwing money away.

I'm surprised that point has to be raised every time a hardware pricing is discussed on this board. ;) Price of products is not proportional to BOM; it's relative to demand and market forces.

Ignoring that Scorpio has more expensive RAM and the UHD drive, increasing BOM above 4Pro, it's a premium product that can command a markup. ie. The Elite Controller costs vastly more than the BOM difference with a conventional controller. That there is your 'much reason' to be priced above $400. It'd be stupid to sell it cheaper if it'll sell out at $450+; that's just throwing money away.

I'm surprised that point has to be raised every time a hardware pricing is discussed on this board. ;) Price of products is not proportional to BOM; it's relative to demand and market forces.
it's true. If anything, the success of the elite controller shows that XBO users are willing to pay up.

It's a tough call.

It's a premium product, as you say, so can command a higher price. .. But MS needs to retake marketshare so I think it will be priced to break even on hardware.

Cheers

It's a tough call.

It's a premium product, as you say, so can command a higher price. .. But MS needs to retake marketshare so I think it will be priced to break even on hardware.

Cheers
Do you think that it could regain market share?
Don't you think that's what the x1s is for, like they said.

Unless you mean regain market share for the premium devices, I.e. from the 4pro, not the overall market share?

That can be argued either way. the important point is that where Ranger's says there's not much reason to be priced more than an equivalent BOM product, that ignores the fact that pricing isn't related to BOM. There's plenty of reason to be priced higher - to make more money! :D

I think that it can regain market share from the many Xbox fans that went Sony simply due to the power difference and also the more people buy it the more it becomes the go to console for third party games. I have been buying every third party game for the PS4 due to the power difference and that will change with scorpio's release so ms has a lot to gain by releasing it at 399€/$.

I think that it can regain market share from the many Xbox fans that went Sony simply due to the power difference and also the more people buy it the more it becomes the go to console for third party games. I have been buying every third party game for the PS4 due to the power difference and that will change with scorpio's release so ms has a lot to gain by releasing it at 399€/$.
People like yourself are probably willing to pay a bit more anyway.

How many there are of that group to really impact the market share is unknown, but it's suspected it pales in comparison to people who are willing to pick up a $200 console

How many there are of that group to really impact the market share is unknown, but it's suspected it pales in comparison to people who are willing to pick up a $200 console
Depends on how long this generation lasts; the longer the more likely you are to purchase 4Pro and Scorpio as this aligns with newer TV purchases.

Depends on how long this generation lasts; the longer the more likely you are to purchase 4Pro and Scorpio as this aligns with newer TV purchases.
Yea, I don't see that relating to launch price though.

I can easily see them cutting price relatively aggressively, starting new year sales, then e3, black friday, so on, year later I could see it being a lot cheaper than when it launched.
Launching at cost or lower, doesn't give them much scope though. Even if the initial sales we're high, people love sales and deals.

Would like to see it launch at $399, but I've yet to see what I consider a convincing reason for it though, apart from wouldn't it be great. (just my imo)

Yea, I don't see that relating to launch price though.

I can easily see them cutting price relatively aggressively, starting new year sales, then e3, black friday, so on, year later I could see it being a lot cheaper than when it launched.
Launching at cost or lower, doesn't give them much scope though. Even if the initial sales we're high, people love sales and deals.

Would like to see it launch at $399, but I've yet to see what I consider a convincing reason for it though, apart from wouldn't it be great. (just my imo)
True... very true. Launch prices will be higher because early adopters are willing to pay the premium to be first.

Honestly the early adopter crowd, the one that PS4 pro failed to capture, is much more important than the people waiting for a console to drop in price. These are the people that will buy games at full price and lots of them. Ms has a chance to regain the hardcore console gamers , at least those that aren't fanboys to a particular company and they are the majority unlike what you see on forums, and it would be the best to price Scorpio at 399. The hype is there and ms must capitalize on it.

Back