Microsoft Surface tablets

Yes, the Pro/Intel version is the only model that gets the Digital Ink pen. Each model has 2 different storage models too. ARM models have 32gb or 64gb. Intel models have 64gb or 128gb.

BTW, after seeing Google announce the Nexus 7 today, I sure wished Microsoft would have announced an Xbox-branded 7" tablet to compete with the Kindle Fire for $200. Man, competition is great.

Tommy McClain

Nope...

microsofttablet0126.jpg

http://www.engadget.com/2012/06/18/microsoft-announces-surface-for-windows-8-pro/

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/news/press/2012/jun12/06-18announce.aspx

I was under the impression that only the "pro" model had the digitizer to start with, but perhaps I'm wrong?

Ah, bummer for the people getting the RT version of Surface. Handwriting input is so much faster than on screen keyboard input, at least for me. I just don't do well when I don't have tactile keys. My WPM drops from ~200 to something like 20-30. :D

Well, there's not much reason for MS not to price it competitively with the iPad then.

Regards,
SB

200WPM? That seems a bit on the high side.

I can do 60 WPM on an iPhone (this is faster than some colleagues on a regular keyboard, lol).

I can touch type (lol) with ten fingers on the iPad, though sometimes I still lose my position, and I haven't measured my speed on that yet.

I'd love to see someone do 200WPM with a digital pen though! Unless perhaps it stays un-ocr'd? I could never write as fast as I can type though. The speed I type at is simply physically impossible to do with a normal pen and paper type affair. You'd have to steno at the least, and I think steno typing is also much faster than steno writing.

I can do 60 WPM on an iPhone (this is faster than some colleagues on a regular keyboard, lol).
That's pretty fast :) I'm pretty bad at touch keyboards, although I'm quite decent on regular (especially mechanical) ones (>100wpm).

That said, I'm still faster with tablet touch keyboards than a pen. Pens are quite slow, but they are comfortable and most importantly (for me), you can write math and draw diagrams with them.

In the tablet accessory world define cheap? They could easily be expensive and still be cheaper than most apple accessories.

Think about how much wireless keyboards go for, a good Logitech or MS one.

Now imagine both Surface keyboards being priced more. Probably at least $50.

It costs $50 to get video out for an ipad, I'd call $50 for a keyboard cheap. $100 would be more inline with similar current products.

It costs $50 to get video out for an ipad, I'd call $50 for a keyboard cheap. $100 would be more inline with similar current products.

But $50 is a really good deal for video out. $50 for a keyboard on a device with $3 video out is a huge cost though.

Don't you know how it works Alpha Wolf !

The surface has USB out , Micro SD storage , Hdmi out , display port out all built into the device while Apple requires bulky $30-$70 acessorys to mimic these features and the acessorys limit the portability of the device.

But ms has the nerve to produce a cover with a keyboard built in and might charge $50 for such a device !!!

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MD310LL/A

I guess a $10 premium over just a cover isn't that bad of a deal

200 WPM in legible handwriting? Would love to see that as it blows away typing on a hardware keyboard which is traditionally considered far faster than handwriting.

[hint: no offense but I really doubt it]

The surface has USB out , Micro SD storage , Hdmi out , display port out all built into the device while Apple requires bulky $30-$70 acessorys to mimic these features and the acessorys limit the portability of the device.
Well given how bulky it is, no doubt they had room to add connectors :D

There are some real cheap keyboards for iPads around $50. The nice ones are more, going up to $100 for a Logitech.

That's 10-20% of the expected cost of the Surface or Surface Pro?

Back