Microsoft Rumored to buy IO interactive [2018-11]

hmmmm, could this have something to do with that? Is Sega on the cards, too?

It's my understanding that the other companies MS is looking into are smaller PC devs . Sega could be a possibility , it would give them a lot IP but a lot would need a good dusting off and some might be damaged beyond repair(sonic). I mean I would love a Virtua Cop in VR and they would get an exclusive fighter in Virtua Fighter.

What would people want?

Given a Game Studio isn't doing so well and is looking for additional financial help.

1. Game Studio shuts down because no company steps up to acquire them, such as Sony or Microsoft
2. Game Studio continues because a company stepped up to acquire them, such as Sony or Microsoft.

Number 2 every time. I love Hitman and I rate IO as quality devs that would be very sad to lose.

It's my understanding that the other companies MS is looking into are smaller PC devs . Sega could be a possibility , it would give them a lot IP but a lot would need a good dusting off and some might be damaged beyond repair(sonic). I mean I would love a Virtua Cop in VR and they would get an exclusive fighter in Virtua Fighter.
I see that sentiment a lot, ms could pick them up for the back log of IP. Not just saga either.

The thing is MS has a lot of IP already and never really seems interested in doing anything with them.
Their probably only interested in current IP's, and even then I don't think they care too much about that.

Probably only interested in quality and potential of the studio.

Back catalog strikes me as valuable for a game library service, especially on PC. Buying a few devs with their own IP would increase the catalogue for Xbox Game Pass, akin to Netflix adding some 80s films etc. It'd be cheaper to license, of course, but adding the devs to your current output plus adding the IP to the service is better than just adding an (unknown) team.

Or, in short, and channelling Iroboto, people shouldn't look at MS studio acquisitions as just a Console Exclusives move.

Back catalog strikes me as valuable for a game library service, especially on PC. Buying a few devs with their own IP would increase the catalogue for Xbox Game Pass, akin to Netflix adding some 80s films etc. It'd be cheaper to license, of course, but adding the devs to your current output plus adding the IP to the service is better than just adding an (unknown) team.

Or, in short, and channelling Iroboto, people shouldn't look at MS studio acquisitions as just a Console Exclusives move.
I'm talking about releasing new games based on old IP's.

Guess it's also shown by the fact MS has said to every acquisition so far to do what they won't, don't have to just work on the IP their known for.

It will be interesting to see if they pull out some old games and puts them in game pass, not sure if that would be a priority compared to fixing store and getting some new stuff in there

Part of that, a large part is that they were being published by Fox Interactive which wasn't very good or pro-active about advertising their games.

Regards,
SB

Probably, yeah. But then Fox also published stuff like Alien Trilogy and Die Hard Trilogy back in the day, and those were big hits. On the flipside you have a much more interested and invested publisher like Bethesda pumping out quality titles like Dishonored2 and Prey, and yet again, nobody seems to give a shit.

Blaming the likes of EA or Activision for playing it safe is certainly becoming increasingly more difficult.

I'm talking about releasing new games based on old IP's.

Guess it's also shown by the fact MS has said to every acquisition so far to do what they won't, don't have to just work on the IP their known for.

It will be interesting to see if they pull out some old games and puts them in game pass, not sure if that would be a priority compared to fixing store and getting some new stuff in there
In line of what Shifty wrote there, they still need to build the PC game pass as well. So while not necessarily all the old PC titles will necessarily come to console game pass (even with M+KB support) , we could see their return in PC game pass. The library building is absolutely critical for them for success and as the catalog gets larger, it's likely to get more publishers and studios to look into releasing for it.

The AA/Indie scene will be particularly interesting to watch as right now that space is extremely crowded on Steam. It does appear to be an opportunity there that MS can offer to studios as an alternative way to gain revenue to the traditional steam model.

I am also curious to see if there is a play there for older PC titles put into a VM container for xbox to run with M+KB support without having to modify the code. Very curious.

And even if they couldn't the option would still be available for PC games to be streamed to Xbox over their future streaming service, where M+KB is supported.

Last edited:
I see that sentiment a lot, ms could pick them up for the back log of IP. Not just saga either.

The thing is MS has a lot of IP already and never really seems interested in doing anything with them.
Their probably only interested in current IP's, and even then I don't think they care too much about that.

Probably only interested in quality and potential of the studio.

Well I mean it depends on the IP right ? Like I said Virtua Fighter would be a good one to bring back because they don't have an exclusive fighting game. Sony has one and Nintendo has one. But where would Virtua racing or Daytona or Sega Rally fit ? They already have forza. Sonic could be interesting but they would need to revamp and have a really good idea for that ip as its just been a big mess of failures. I said virtua cop would be good and I guess house of the dead could be IPs for WMR/HoloLens/xbox vr . I'd love to see a modern Virtua On or Phantasy star but I don't see them doing that.

I just think that buying a company for their IP is low on their priority when they buy someone.

If they can fix the store, make it appealing and work well, then with the new exclusives that their making (which will be for both console and pc) going straight into pc game pass will be a good starting place.

If the studio wants to bring back, or bring their old IP into the store, MS wouldn't say no though.
It would be interesting if they did develop some form of VM, they would make that available to everyone to use.

It would be interesting if they did develop some form of VM, they would make that available to everyone to use.
I wish i knew the answer to this. It's considerably easier in that it uses generic direct X such that custom calls were never there.

It's considerably harder because directX was hacked to hell from 9-11, the way programmers coded DirectX in their games over the ages, all had weird shit going on - DX12 is probably the only clean split there.

The other factor is that it's unlikely to be well optimized for console in terms of performance. A lot of work would need to be done by the BC team per title I think.

The other factor is that it's unlikely to be well optimized for console in terms of performance. A lot of work would need to be done by the BC team per title I think
That's the main reason I'm probably dubious that it could be done.
CPU alone could very well be an issue, single threaded performance etc.
If they did it and only made it available from next gen on, I think that would be a reasonable way forward.

bulking up game pass on pc, do wonder if that would be their reason for putting x360 vm bc games on the store.
See that more than a couple old IP's being rolled out.
Could have parity of the x360 games in both game pass's (if publisher wants it)

That's the main reason I'm probably dubious that it could be done.
CPU alone could very well be an issue, single threaded performance etc.
If they did it and only made it available from next gen on, I think that would be a reasonable way forward.

bulking up game pass on pc, do wonder if that would be their reason for putting x360 vm bc games on the store.
See that more than a couple old IP's being rolled out.
Could have parity of the x360 games in both game pass's (if publisher wants it)
yea that would be a big win, as it's easy to bring controllers to PC. Xbox Accessories will never change, so this is a good point. Hard to do a VM with so many different configurations though.

Wasn't Nolf, and Nolf2 in particular, kind of a sales flop? It's just very difficult to make a niche title and succeed now these days I think. All the successful titles kind of dabble in just about everything now these days. Light rpg mechanics, light stealth, light combat, light crafting, and all of it preferably in an open world setting of course. The specialized games all seem to crash and burn unless there's a super popular ip attached.
Right, so I was thinking of a more action-oriented stealth (even then, Splinter Cell: Blacklist sales were apparently not good enough for UBI). My suggestion with Ms. Dark was just to get away from what currently doesn't seem to be working as well (bringing back Hitman again and again), and maybe not be so grim-dank (Joanna Dark is cartoony enough, and a dash of the Cate Archer personality wouldn't be too out of character, all considering).

oh shit I forgot killer instinct lol . It was a good game but I dunno how much brand influence it has.
In terms of a brand KI is pretty good.
People was hoping for a KI 2, not just another season. Although don't know if there's been any word with what's going on with KI now.

MS had most genres of games covered, the problem was that for most of their games, they was a good first game that never got the follow up that would've built on the foundations.

well, reading your posts and iroboto's posts, I wonder what do you mean by that? We are talking about first party games after all. Nintendo thrives on that. Sure denying those games to others could make some of use have a hard day wanting something we can't have until we save some money or buy a platform we've never played or are used to....

But in this case, with many inactive studios under MS baton, people didn't want to buy a Xbox because of lack of 1st parties. This picture kinda explains it. (it says "my sir xboxman..., are these the preparations for the next gen?" .... "......MY FIRSTPARTY-HAI warriors!"

DtJ-5uIXQAAPSPI.jpg

Back