Microsoft HoloLens [Virtual Reality, Augmented Reality, Holograms]

It could be a great competitive product, but right now it looks like a PR game.

There's a dozen serious companies working on AR, none of them want to unveil their product yet. I'm trying to see what's new here other than an arguably false impression that they are first with something described as magic, no less, because they unveiled an R&D prototype using vague BS wording. Until they describe this using plain scientific terms, I can only guess.

Tech for VR is relatively easy today, it's mostly combining an HMD with a Move-like 1:1 mapping. AR is a slightly bigger deal, it needs a Google-Glass-like semi-transparent display, an RGB or Kinect-like depth camera on the HMD, and processing using whatever compute resources is available,CPU, DSP, GPU, or even an ASIC. All of these components for VR and AR are becoming available, not because they were invented recently, but because the required sensors, accelerometers, gyros, displays, ToF camera, and compute power, are becoming less expensive, and now available outside of military/medical applications price points. The new thing happening in the AR field today is diffraction lenses becoming less expensive, which is what I'm guessing they are talking about. Maybe they have a novel production method for a computer-generated diffraction lens, or a generic diffraction pattern that can fit the purpose without needing a complex generated pattern (like maybe linear gratings? easy to mass produce?). Canon went the complex route for their compact telephoto lenses, and it's currently too expensive to produce. Bluray/DVD drives have been using holographic lenses for years but it's like a two milimeters lens, nothing like what is needed here.

The wild card I think is patent warfare.

Of course it's a PR game, but they're also rolling out dev kits fairly soon, I think, to select people. They seem like they're going to follow the Occulus Rift model of dev kits while letting the community figure out the best applications. It seems to be a smart strategy. I'm guessing that Google funded thing will be announced with a demo within the year.

I have seen more impressive demos using the Oculus + Stereo camera. Oculus has the advantage of practically covering your entire field of vision. I think this combination will get to where Microsoft is trying to get sooner.

One of the issues HoloLens seems to fix is motion sickness. Several articles I linked said they did not feel motion sickness with HoloLens where they did with Occulus Rift. I'm sure there will be display limitations with each technology, and each will have its strengths and weaknesses. I'd really like to try both. I have my doubts that stereoscopic camera would make you feel as connected to your room. HoloLens you see everything normally, not through an LCD screen. It'll be interesting to see what sensors are included on the HoloLens. Some people thought it might have 2x Kinect cameras, someone said rangefinders as well. Put the same things on Occulus Rift, maybe you can create the same experience.

Whatever it's doing, it's probably just using LEDs. I still don't really understand how the lenses work, but they have essentially RGB layers to reconstruct the image at your eye. They had to measure people's eyes and manually adjust something to get the image to come into focus. Later devices will make the measurement and self-adjust.
LEDs typically do not require a liens except where an image is being distorted or scaled. They may have multiple emitters condensed designed to output mixed wavelengths in a tight beam which the lens separates - similar to how a prism separates light wavelengths - but this would introduce wavelength bled without incredible accurate (and expensive) optics - the types used to capture and separate wavelengths in spectrometry.

Once Microsoft have clarified if the visor is active or just a passive surface onto which the image is projected, that will rule out much speculation about the specific implementation.

One of the issues HoloLens seems to fix is motion sickness.
I'm not sure motion sickness is common in AR. In VR it is typically caused by the lack of visual anchor to the real environment combined with a replacement image that is not accurately representing your head movements.

In AR you can see the real environment.

Sony hasn't exactly been quiet in this field either. As said though, all that matters is a great implementation...

So it could actually work as a hair dryer, for longer hair!
It probably started out as a hat that dried his hair while he ate his cereal in the morning. This is how engineers think. :yes: Then he decides he'd also like to be able play Minecraft at the same time.

Reactions: Jwm
sony has done AR since PS2 era and their latest works on PS Vita and Xperia phones also works well. They call it "marker-less AR". But they are laggy (the video stream is laggy) while LensHolo is not laggy (according to what i read).

It is a nice vision imo and I am happy that a company with so much money invests into its research.

More money to researching cool stuff!

It sounds to me that they are actually using holograms, which is quite different than some sort of LCD display. This would explain how steady the holograms are and help explain lack of motion sickness. (Though actually having real imagery visible at the same time is probably a better explanation.) I mean holograms by the fact that all rays will appear to be coming from a 3d position no matter your position relative to the glasses. If this doesn't make sense go check your physics books and look up virtual rays.

If it is a hologram then the position of your head relative to the device won't matter that much. However, it will have to know very close where the glasses are relative to the environment.

A friend of mine and I had a conversation about this. Imagine driving a car and having the display highlight cars in front of you in bad conditions like fog - something like an outline or a faint depth halo around the cars. Imagine being able to go through an online Ikea catalog and place the furniture in your room to see how it fits into your current layout. Maybe you want to see what a room in your house would look like with carpet instead of hardwood or vice versa? You'd obviously be missing realistic lighting on the furniture or floor, but to just place an item and get a rough idea of it wouldn't even require modeling the room first. Kinect can recognize the floor without knowing the dimensions, and furniture could be placed relative to yourself. You could allow the furniture to clip through walls. As long as it sat on the floor and you could move it relative to yourself, you could see how it fit. If it were smart enough, you could place a marker on the floor for a particular type of furniture and scroll through options. For example, you put a 1' x 1' square on the ground and have it go through all of the available lamps to see which one makes sense in your room. Guided tours in museums would be great. Such an interesting device. I hope they're able to get it small enough to be practical. People who did the demo seemed to be very happy with the display, despite limitations in field of view. If they can increase FOV, all the better.

One obvious limitation I can see is light shining through windows during bring times of the day, or reflecting off surfaces like counters, tables, glass or metal objects.

A small FOV makes any HMD very compact.

When you want a wide FOV, it gets exponentially bulky. So does supporting prescription glasses, and so does a low price point. The combination of these three requirements is what makes Occulus and Morpheus so big, while the Zeiss Cinemizer is very small because they skipped all of the above. Regardless, I think that in theory, MS using diffractive optics (allegedly) would reduce the weight and the bulk significantly compared to current VR products.

I could be wrong, but I don't think this is going to be an Xbox peripheral, ever. Maybe MS have an xbox VR helmet in development that haven't been unveiled yet, or this is the technological basis that will lead to a stripped down VR gear?

This isn't going to be any more successful than the Kinect. Lets say it adds just $100 to the console. It'll hobble sales just as the $500 SKU of the X1 with Kinect was hobbled.

It looks impressive in the videos but after the novelty wears off, it's unlikely to become a part of people's daily routine. They showed a 3D or holo version of a weather forecast chart. Are you going to dig up that headset and do whatever gestures are needed to bring up a weather forecast that is rendered holographically?

No most people will just pull out their phones and swipe once or twice or just ask Siri or Google Now or Cortana.

The practical applications, like how-to videos or tutorials showing overlays over your plumbing or whatever will only work if third-parties develop compatible content. That could be about as likely as the Kinect games with innovative gameplay mechanics.

It'll be more expensive than Kinect. It won't sell at a loss. It'll be a niche product, like Surface Hub for corporate environments. At least it'll start that way. Not sure it can be compared to Kinect at all. It has far more general purpose use. A 3D Studio Max app that allows you to view your models in their real world size. You can sit at your desk and work on your model on your PC, and look to your left and see the thing in full size. That could be either real world dimenions for videogame models, or items that would be manufactured. Every device needs content. Just viewing virtual content alone makes this thing useful. They won't expect it to sell tens of millions of units right away. I think it's more of a long-term product that will slowly go from specialized to general consumer use.

There seems to be a lot of people that have negative things to say about Hololens. This is the first actual working AR device we have seen. Why dont we wait till it is actually on the market before we start deeming it a failure "worse than Kinect". As for it hurting console sales, this unit doesn't seem to have anything to do with the Xbox One. Also this isn't a comparison thread so what does Sony have to do with this? The stage demonstration shown yesterday was pretty impressive. Sure it has limits at the moment, but Hololens is a major step towards what a lot of people have always thought the future would be.

There seems to be a lot of people that have negative things to say about Hololens. This is the first actual working AR device we have seen. Why dont we wait till it is actually on the market before we start deeming it a failure "worse than Kinect". As for it hurting console sales, this unit doesn't seem to have anything to do with the Xbox One. Also this isn't a comparison thread so what does Sony have to do with this? The stage demonstration shown yesterday was pretty impressive. Sure it has limits at the moment, but Hololens is a major step towards what a lot of people have always thought the future would be.
The discussion started in the Morpheus thread, and it got spin off because it was off topic.

It's not even related to consoles anyway.

A set of prescription glasses costs 60 Euro including fitting. If they commercialize this it would be nice if it had a purpose designed frame which you could have glasses put into, seems the only way this is going to be usable for me.

New York Times, First mention of resolution that I've seen.
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/01/22/t...s-a-sensational-vision-of-the-pcs-future.html
This is just incredibly awesome.
I think the display is actually the most interesting bit, as it's something pretty new (new in terms of I've not heard about it before, but maybe some startup invented it 5 years ago!). The first mention of low resolution is kinda curious because no-one's mentioned it. Maybe all the pixel-art games on mobile has acclimatised people? ;) From the demo vid there was reasonable lag between hand input and what we saw. Assuming that's not introduced by the capture, the display itself can't have that much lag or it should be telling in reviews. So I'm guessing the display is something special that accommodates this.

I'm not sure why they've opted for such elaborate and exotic image generation technology.
From the sounds of it, the rays are effectively beamed from the virtual distance they'd originate from, creating a correct focussing mechanic and

This would explain how steady the holograms are and help explain lack of motion sickness....I mean holograms by the fact that all rays will appear to be coming from a 3d position no matter your position relative to the glasses.
How is that possible if the image generation is in the glasses and constantly being moved? If you tilt your head right, the image generation (screen, projector, laser array) will be tilted right and the generated image will need to be rotated left to compensate. Take any real hologram and rotate it, and the hologram rotates.

Back