Microsoft HoloLens [Virtual Reality, Augmented Reality, Holograms]

This is insane. I love VR but for that I'm interested in it for games , this however is something I can use all the time during my working day.

What do you do using a computer that this method of interaction would be useful? Serious question.

Why are Microsoft showing a video of people who have never heard of OculusRift? :runaway:

I think we found the chip that a certain site has been looking for in the Xbox One, only you wear it instead of it being in a games console. LOL

On a serious note, how much, and what is the resolution per eye. If I am going to replace my projectors with this, I want 4k per eye.

What do you do using a computer that this method of interaction would be useful? Serious question.

It will help in the server room. Being able to use the glasses to follow a single wire not only through the server room but through the rest of the building would be really cool . Instead of having tons of labels sticking off every wire just being able to look at the switch and know which wire is for which is really cool. I travel from one location to another and there is no way I can memorize them and sometimes others did a poor job labeling them or have hand writing I can't figure out

It will help in the server room. Being able to use the glasses to follow a single wire not only through the server room but through the rest of the building would be really cool.
You'll have to model every server, connection and wire in a fully modelled building, for this to work.

My server facility has thousands individual servers, it was be a mammoth effort for us to do this and maintain it, but perhaps in a smaller setup.

Why are Microsoft showing a video of people who have never heard of OculusRift? :runaway:

I'm a huge fan of the rift but its tethered to a pc, this is not.

The real question is battery life I guess , how long will this last on a charg.e If it goes 5 or 6 hours it could be quite amazing.

Being wireless and having it's own CPU and GPU, how much processing power does the Hololens have? Enough to run Skype and Minecraft at decent resolution but what about more demanding 3D modelling and games?

You'll have to model every server, connection and wire in a fully modelled building, for this to work.

My server facility has thousands individual servers, it was be a mammoth effort for us to do this and maintain it, but perhaps in a smaller setup.

would you or could you mark the stuff as you put them in ? ie take a highlighter and just highlight the wires where they go. I do installs on bare stores with no walls. So while older stores wont get the treatment newer ones could and at some point they all will have it since stores close and open all the time

Being wireless and having it's own CPU and GPU, how much processing power does the Hololens have? Enough to run Skype and Minecraft at decent resolution but what about more demanding 3D modelling and games?

Broadwell in a tablet similar in weight to an iPad Air (1 not 2) with a resolution of 2560x1440 can go up to 8-10 hours. So, who knows. The hologlasses won't have to drive a backlit LCD, so there's some power savings there that could be used in other areas.

Regards,
SB

I'm a huge fan of the rift but its tethered to a pc, this is not.

The real question is battery life I guess , how long will this last on a charg.e If it goes 5 or 6 hours it could be quite amazing.
If displays usually takes up a lot of power on mobile, the fact that the display is relatively small, with likely not an over powering amount of brightness (because it's so close to eyes) maybe there are a lot of savings there. I really wonder how such a device operates.

They had to make a new processor ... a holographic processor. A hpu ! Lol I dunno , they could prob put in a quad core arm with a decent gpu .

Microsoft is doing Mixed Reality with their headset I like that a little more than just VR. Still hoping for a camera to the outside world in the final Project Morpheus retail product.

would you or could you mark the stuff as you put them in ?
Whether you do it as you layout a new site or retrospectively plot out an existing site, you still have to fully 3D model the entire facility. It's the same amount of work.

I want to know how the hell this things works.
I'm not seeing the mystery. It's an actual reality visor with an actual transparent 'screen' (unlike Google Glass) onto which to project 3D images from an onboard computer. It's likely - based on the presentation being able to 'see' the projections of the presenter - to be designed to operate in a co-operative way so several people can collaborate on a single project.

This is likely what we were seeing when the girl was building the quadcopter.

Additionally it likely has a depth sensor derived from or the same as that used in Kinect 2.0 that is used to scan the room and enable compositing of images onto real surfaces properly. Also to enable hand recognition and controls.

As well some kind of sensor to track the user's pupils in order to see where they are looking.

Regards,
SB

I'm not seeing the mystery. It's an actual reality visor with an actual transparent 'screen' (unlike Google Glass) onto which to project 3D images from an onboard computer. It's likely - based on the presentation being able to 'see' the projections of the presenter - to be designed to operate in a co-operative way so several people can collaborate on a single project.

This is likely what we were seeing when the girl was building the quadcopter.

Yes, we saw the special video recording device that they used, which seemed to be part HoloLens. So I imagine in some fashion they network so you can move around what the lead device wants you to see.

Ray Tracing Units? :runaway:
lol , I dunno the guy said they created a new processor and it was a holographic processor. Wish they announced specs on what it actually is.

When do people think this will be out , he said in the windows 10 time frame but whats that mean exactly. I'm hoping for 2016

Back