Microsoft and Game Engines *branch*

Fable is UE4.
Arkane uses Void which is based on idTech.
FS2020 is a evolution of the decades old FSX engine.
Fable is set to feature ray-tracing; UE5 would seem more appropriate.
FS2020 uses ASOBO's own inhouse engine (Asobo Conception Engine), an evolution of the engine on which F.U.E.L was built. Seb Woch explicitly stated that their engine scaling up well to vast expanses was one of the main reasons they could tackle Flight Simulator.

Last edited:
Based on Phil Spencer's musing about MS getting their grubby hands onto IdTech, I would not be surprised if their are plans to actually aggressively license the engine to third-parties. Unreal engine might finally have some serious competition as DX12 is also owned by MS and the latter can offer a consolidated techonology stack to developers.

Based on Phil Spencer's musing about MS getting their grubby hands onto IdTech, I would not be surprised if their are plans to actually aggressively license the engine to third-parties. Unreal engine might finally have some serious competition as DX12 is also owned by MS and the latter can offer a consolidated techonology stack to developers.

Who would licence it and why? It's very, very good at powering Doom and Wolfenstein. That's not some magic bullet for teams have years of production experience with other genres, engines and tools.

FS2020 uses ASOBO's own inhouse engine (Asobo Conception Engine), an evolution of the engine on which F.U.E.L was built. Seb Woch explicitly stated that their engine scaling up well to vast expanses was one of the main reasons they could tackle Flight Simulator.
Turn 10 has totally reworked and updated their Forza Tech engine to include Ray Tracing. That's the reason there is such a big gap between Forza MS 7 and the next one.

I think MS should purchase ASOBO simply because of the engine itself.

I read that it was using the ForzaTech engine, modified for larger data sets that they are using.

Microsoft Flight Simulator: The graphics are amazing, here's how they did it - SportsGaming.win

Asobo Studio says it will maintain content support and updates on Microsoft Flight Simulator for 10 years (madinfinite.com)

Developers that use UE or Unity do it as much for the tools (1st and 3rd party) as they do for the engine itself. AFAIK, the tools available for IDTech aren't as fleshed out (developer friendly) or extensive (availability of many custom 3rd party tools) as UE or Unity, so it'd be facing a heavy uphill battle attempting to convince developers to use it instead of UE or Unity.

But who knows, maybe someone at MS is interested in making Direct Engine and would use IDTech as the base for it. However, I'm doubtful that MS are interested in getting into Engine development and more importantly, Engine support.

It's one thing for internal studios to help each other out with Engine support and issues and it's a whole other world of problems involved with providing Engine Support across 10's or hundreds of developers.

Regards,
SB

Developers that use UE or Unity do it as much for the tools (1st and 3rd party) as they do for the engine itself. AFAIK, the tools available for IDTech aren't as fleshed out (developer friendly) or extensive (availability of many custom 3rd party tools) as UE or Unity, so it'd be facing a heavy uphill battle attempting to convince developers to use it instead of UE or Unity.

But who knows, maybe someone at MS is interested in making Direct Engine and would use IDTech as the base for it. However, I'm doubtful that MS are interested in getting into Engine development and more importantly, Engine support.

It's one thing for internal studios to help each other out with Engine support and issues and it's a whole other world of problems involved with providing Engine Support across 10's or hundreds of developers.

Regards,
SB

There are more than one road to gamepass.

While idtech 7 is an amazing engine, at least for FPS, Forzatech wouldn't be far behind it. It is the engine used for both Forza MS and Horizon, as well as Flight Sim and now Fable. It looks like a hell of an open world game engine.
Not only that, but Turn 10 has spend a couple of years re working the Forzatech engine for Ray Tracing and all of Direct X 12 Ultimate extensions.
if they used Forzatech to build Forza Horizon 4 -very different game compared to Forza- and other developers used Resident Evil 2 Remake engine to create the new Ghouls & Ghosts....

I would love to see an Age of Empires game built under such a performant engine as iD Tech engine. Age of Empires at 165fps :D

I could see id tech becoming a sort of semi custom solution that would be selectively licensed to studios.

So for instance if your a third party developer you could have your own engine thats 'powered by id tech', like how arkanes Void engine is built off of id tech 5.

I dont know how portable you could make the custom bit that the developers would add on top of id tech, ideally the external developers would be able upgrade the id tech foundation while still keeping their modifications. So if your in house engine was built on top of id tech you could upgrade from id tech 7 to id tech 8 without too much work on your end.

So not a solution for every Tom Dick and Harry like unreal and unity is, but a great option for larger development teams that want some of the benefits of an inhouse engine without having to worry about the finer points of implementing ray tracing and VRS and all the rest in the most performant manner possible, you can just focus on the bit built on top of the engine that makes your games stand out

Regards,
SB

Microsoft does this level of support now with Havok and other solutions that are supported broadly across the market.

Given, Havok, Visual Studio, PlayFab and Azure, probably the biggest hole in MS’s Game Stack offering is a game engine.

Last edited:
Microsoft does this level of support now with Havok and other solutions that are supported broadly across the market.

Given, Havok, Visual Studio, PlayFab and Azure, probably the biggest hole in MS’s Game Stack offering is a game engine.
Indeed. As you said, given everything included in GameStack, I would not be surprised if IdTech is worked on as something that can be attached to GS to broaden the appeal of their offering.

Back