Metal Gear Rising: ReVengeance ! Developed by PLATINUM GAMES !!!!

I just didn't like it at all. It looked bland and muddy, just about every boss encounter was repeated 3 times, the suit's super power was a decidedly goofy looking and wholly unimpressive Jimi Hendrix-esque knee-silde, using powers actually makes the game harder because it's more likely to kill you than help your cause, characters were unlikeable and obnoxious (it was like playing a game where everyone was Rico from Killzone 2) and the story wasn't bad in a good way, but just plain bad instead. Also, just how poorly weapon upgrades were handled was almost impressive.

Read Jim Sterling's Vanquish review on Destructoid. Basically sums up all the reasons why I hated Vanquish, except in an infinitely more eloquent way.

The funny thing is, as much as i actually agree with every single darn one of your criticisms i still absolutely love Vanquish... as weird and crazy as it sounds :p

I just had so much fun playing the game that i didn't think too much about all the flaws. Despite feeling pretty much like i'd been abused by the story, when i think back to my time playing the game all i have is fond memories and an unwaivering urge to replay the game. I can't really explain it... it's just so Japanese and different to every other game out there. It's almost like gears of war mixed with one of the old Japanese bullet hell shumps that i grew up with. Plays on the whole early 90s japanese gaming nostalgia for me (my gaming golden age - RIP SNES).

Same reason i LOVE Ace Combat: Assault Horizon.

No reason why i won't love Rising :)

Bayonetta Main Programmer Confirmed as Metal Gear Rising Director
http://andriasang.com/comzop/mg_rising_director/

The mystery director for Metal Gear Rising Revengeance has been confirmed in this week's Famitsu to be Platinum Games' Kenji Saito.

In a dialogue (summed up by Sokuho@Hokanko) featuring Kojima Productions' Hideo Kojima, Platinum Games' CEO Tatsuya Minami and producer Atsushi Inaba, Inaba once again confirms that Hideki Kamiya has no involvement in the game, then mentions Saito's role. There had been some speculation that Kamiya was the director, something that Kamiya repeatedly denied via Twitter.

Saito was the main programmer on Bayonetta. Inaba says that he's been working with Kamiya since the Viewtiful Joe era, and his involvement in games and game design has gone beyond the frame of a mere programmer.

The game is apparently 60fps now which explains the sudden graphics degrade from the initial unveiling. Giving it to Platinum Games can also be a good thing in the long run as Kojima san now has more time to focus on MGS5 "main course" as we all know it.

Actually, the sudden graphical degrade from the initial unvieling is most likely a result of the fact that Platinum Games are a relatively small studio and (imho) don't have the technical nor artistic talent to be able to make games that look on the same level as KojiPros best. Where they excel is gameplay, and i'm sure that that is where MGR will shine :)

Actually, the sudden graphical degrade from the initial unvieling is most likely a result of the fact that Platinum Games are a relatively small studio and (imho) don't have the technical nor artistic talent to be able to make games that look on the same level as KojiPros best. Where they excel is gameplay, and i'm sure that that is where MGR will shine :)

No it's because the game is targeting 60fps and 720p...

Platinum games' artistic talent is very evident from Bayonetta ! Those guys are real talented bunch of devs there, maybe lacking only technically. Hence, the 60 fps might be stopping them from going artistically berserk not their lack of talent.
Just my opinion.

Keep in mind that regardless of framerate, there still exist overheads that can't be magically scaled like certain graphics rendering features. For 60fps/16ms, that might mean 13ms rendering (for example). With the overheads being similar to that of 30fps/33ms, you're really comparing 13ms to 30ms rendering time. The point is that "30fps" has greater than 2x leeway than "60fps".

Of course, any dev seriously trying to maintain the framerate for all situations would probably target an even lower time than that example.

No it's because the game is targeting 60fps and 720p...

I just meant that Platinum Games have never made a games that is graphically stunning technically. Whether that's because all their games have been targeting 60fps or not i'm not too sure.

Artistically I'm not too much of a fan either, although Vanquish's look did grow on me pretty quickly. My point was that Kojipro have better artists and seem to have better technology, again from what I see.

I'll accept though that it may simply be because of the processing resourced required to run their games at 60fps, they've yet to fully show what their tech and artists can do graphically.

Tried the demo. 60 fps feels so good, you can see everything clearly when you are moving! The game mechanics felt pretty fresh as well, and it was quite interesting using the right stick for sword aiming.

gonna try the demo but... BLOCKED by Xbox Live Gold membership :/
im only on SILVER. ugh.

its irritating to see the demo listed as FREE and im not freely to get it :/

fortunately my friend got a PS3 and tried there. Too bad he got 32" HDTV... The picture will look better on my smaller TV ( 24" )

Had to use Youtube to get a real ideal of how the fight mechanics actually work. Whats the point of having a tutorial if it doesn't show you even 10% of the moves available? And stealth without a stealth mechanic standouts rather significantly.

That being said, once I was able to get a more in depth understanding of how to pull off some of the attacks Raiden is able to pull off, I was more satisfied by the fighting in the game. I am not typically into hack n slash, but I will buy this title.

Yeah, the tutorial is horrible.
Thankfully, there will be extensive tutorials and VR missions in the final version.

I found the demo to be disappointing. The overall experience felt stale and dated in a way that's hard to describe. Coming from other top tier 3rd Person Action/Adventure games, Rising felt like an old school game design with a new coat of shiny. I think my immediate first impression was that "this would have been awesome on the PS2" (5 to 6 years ago). I doubt I will be picking this one up even in the bargain bin.

I really enjoyed the demo as the combat is alot of fun and runs pretty smooth as well.Platinum Games continues to do great hack n slash games..Good job

This game is a piece of shit. The only thing it has going for it is 60fps. It's ugly, and doesn't control well despite an interesting concept. On top of that, it's going to be full of tons of awful Metal Gear writing for degenerates that read at a third grade level. Pass.

This game is a piece of shit. The only thing it has going for it is 60fps. It's ugly, and doesn't control well despite an interesting concept. On top of that, it's going to be full of tons of awful Metal Gear writing for degenerates that read at a third grade level. Pass.

Personally, I thought it controlled well with the exception of using the right analog stick to do rapid sword slicing.I do agree that the dialogue exchanges between Raiden and the other characters was pretty bad.

Back