Mercury Research on graphics market share

Bjorn said:
duncan36 said:
Anyway is it a fight if your competition doesnt have a competing card anywhere close to being ready when the R520 comes out?

And you have proof of this i guess ?

Ati has to add full SM3.0 this time around. Nvidia could add some minor tweaks , a few more pipelines and be done. If they'll remain competitive with that solution is another thing though. But isn't the R520 supposed to be yet another tweak of the R300 architecture ?

You cant just add a few pipelines to a 6800 core its already pushing thermal boundaries. The R520 is on a 90nm process has SM3.0 so obviously its a new architecture.

Richthofen said:
At that time there was no significant shipement of NV43 parts.
According to the management the report did not contain midrange parts
Insignificant numbers of nv43's shipped can be enough to skew high end sales results because you are expecting to sell multiples of nv43's over high end boards.

duncan36 said:
You cant just add a few pipelines to a 6800 core its already pushing thermal boundaries. The R520 is on a 90nm process has SM3.0 so obviously its a new architecture.

And the NV50 won't be on a 90 nm process ?

Nvidia's next part is the Nv47. Thats why Goldman Sachs was so bullish on ATi they've pushed up the release of the R520 from where they expected it. From what i've gathered the Nv50 was planned for a fall release, though that may change with the pressure the R520 release puts on Nvidia.

whql said:
Richthofen said:
Insignificant numbers of nv43's shipped can be enough to skew high end sales results because you are expecting to sell multiples of nv43's over high end boards.

well i still don't think that NV43 effected the high end numbers. I think Nvidia leads the high end. That is in line with several polls on various hardware websites. I think the GF6800GT, 6800nonU and 6800LE make the difference. Nvidia was able to deliver more than ATI and of course their high end line is a little bit more attractive because the prices are very competitive and you simply get more for the same or slightly less amount of money.

Richthofen said:
whql said:
Richthofen said:

well i still don't think that NV43 effected the high end numbers. I think Nvidia leads the high end. That is in line with several polls on various hardware websites. I think the GF6800GT, 6800nonU and 6800LE make the difference. Nvidia was able to deliver more than ATI and of course their high end line is a little bit more attractive because the prices are very competitive and you simply get more for the same or slightly less amount of money.
Wrong. ATI has sold more units in the highend, do to all the OEM sales. This bump by Nvidia with the padded numbers of TO BE shipped 6200s is just fud. Mercury has a habit of doing this for NVDA. Same thing happend way bac with the 5200 was counted before they where in the stores, let alone even being made by board partners.

kemosabe said:
Mythology is the description some are using.
X-bit Labs said:
NVIDIA Corp. last week announced it had managed to ship approximately 1.5 million of high-end DirectX 9.0 visual processing units during the third quarter of the year, which is 64% of the whole high-end market during the quarter. ATI Technologies, in contrast, supplied around 800 thousand of high-end DirectX 9.0 high-end graphics processors, which is 36% of the market. A quarter earlier NVIDIA’s share was only 26%. Among 63.8 million of mainstream and value DirectX 9.0 GPUs market share commanded by NVIDIA was also slightly higher compared to ATI’s: 51% versus 49%, it was indicated by sources with knowledge of the Mercury Research numbers.

NVIDIA’s products that incorporate more than 100 million of transistors and that are all likely to be shipping in volume are GeForce FX 5900 XT, GeForce PCX 5900, GeForce FX 5900, GeForce FX 5900 Ultra, GeForce 5950 Ultra, GeForce 6600, GeForce 6600 GT, GeForce 6800 LE, GeForce 6800, GeForce 6800 GT as well as GeForce 6800 Ultra. NVIDIA’s GeForce 5900 and 5900 Ultra are unlikely to be officially supplied by NVIDIA. Graphics processors like the GeForce 5900 XT and GeForce 6600 are typically considered as mainstream offerings due to their speed being similar to ATI’s RADEON 9600- and X600-series, GPUs that contain about 75 – 80 million of transistors.

ATI’s visual processing units that contain more than 100 million of transistors are RADEON 9800 SE, RADEON 9800, RADEON 9800 PRO, RADEON 9800 XT, RADEON X800 SE, RADEON X800 PRO, RADEON X800 XT, RADEON X800 XT Platinum Edition. RADEON 9800 SE should also be considered as mainstream since the speed it provides is close to the RADEON 9600 XT.
So basically the numbers are meaningless? At least to figure out who is ahead in the actual high-end? (X800 vs 6800...all flavors)

Richthofen said:
whql said:
Richthofen said:

Goldman Sachs puts the x800 line at 52% of the high end and the 6800 line at 48%.

I'll keep that in mind, I just figured that the X800 & 6800 were damn near tied right now more than anything else.

I would believe it if the 6800 was a little bit ahead or the X800, but I don't see this one as a blow-out. (Well, 'cept for HB's weird rant out of left field last night about the X800....I don't agree with him. ;) )

Back