Memory Help

Is this the TYPE of memory i need for my mobo? bog standard DDR? Will the 2GB package work with my mobo, if it does consider it ordered :)

You will need to check if your motherboard needs 2x 1GB DDR or if it can support 1x 2GB DDR to get 2GB. The Crucial website implies that those motherboards don't officially support DDR larger than 1GB.

You will need to check if your motherboard needs 2x 1GB DDR or if it can support 1x 2GB DDR to get 2GB. The Crucial website implies that those motherboards don't officially support DDR larger than 1GB.
The only 2 gig dimms for DDR is registered dimms and will not work on a standard desktop motherboard. Only server and workstation motherboards can use registered dimms.

The largest DDR dimms are 1 gig so it he wants 2gig? He will need 2, 1gig dimms.

My memory is currently 2x256mb sticks, i was thinking of getting 2x1gig sticks toget a total of 2gig of system RAM :)

That's what I would do. Just keep your 2x256 back for testing if you ever run into problems. 2x1GB sticks will cost you around $180~ USD.

You need DDR. Which you selected, I'd go with: http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MY-006-OK

184-pin refers to the amount of pins on the memory slot (DIMM). DDR uses 184-pins while DDRII uses 240-pins obviously a physical difference and therefore (along with other reasons) you can not use DDRII in DDR slots and vice versa.

Right so i'll order the Memory i selected, thanks for all you help Skry and thanks to everyone else who helped out aswel :)

So in the next few days my PC will have gone from :

3ghz P4
512mb of RAM
Gefore 6600 256mb ( Not the 6600GT )

To

3ghz P4
2gig of RAM
ATI x 1950 PRO 512mb

Do you think it'll be a noticable improvment? :LOL:

I just found this out about my main board

Whats that? the FSB? Can i make it faster?
You can but that will be overclocking. First your motherboard must support it ( have the ability to raise voltage on memory and CPU and be able to set FSB above 200). By upping the FSB you up the speed of your memory and CPU and both must be able to do this. If not the system will be unstable or not even boot up.

Your SiS chipset will not go anywhere with regards to OCing.
The sis chipset that he is using is not a good OCer but ther were some very good SIS chipsets like the 746 and 748 and for the S754 A64 the 755. I have a 1800+ tbred B at 2.6 gig on air with a SIS746 ASrock mobo with a voltage mod for memory voltage. I was able to hit 2.8gig on dry Ice. For S754 I have a first week NC 3000+ at 2.6gig on air with a SIS755 with a volt mod on the memory by bypassing the memory voltage regulator and feed the dimms direct from the PSU 3.3V rail. I was able to run HTT at 280 and the memory at 270mhz at cas 2.5,2,2,5.

SIS does at time put out a very goo over clocking chipsets but not on the Intel side.

Back