Memory Help

almighty

Banned
As a console gamer i havent really got into PC gaming until now, now in order for me to get my PC upto a reasonable spec so that i can enjoy PC gaming i have to upgrade my memory. I currently have 512MB of system RAM and that quite frankly is piss poor. Now ive been reading about PC memory and i havent got a clue about anything about the memory my PC already has. I think its 192pin but is there anyway that i can find out for sure what type my memory is? Any physical tell tales? or is there any bit of software that will tell me what i need to know?

Many Thanks

almighty :)

EDIT : Damn just seen the typo on the thread title :(

What motherboard? That's fairly important.

I've never heard of 192-pin memory (or at least I do not recall it), but I'm willing to bet you're using 184-pin currently (that would be DDR), but knowing your motherboard would clear that up really quick.

Its made by FOXCONN, i cant see a particular model number :(

EDIT : Found it, its a FOXCONN SiS-661

Last edited by a moderator:
My MoBo spec's show this : Single channel DDR266/333/400 x2, Max. 2GB Memory

What does it all meen? What memory to i have to buy to upgrade it? :(

Is this your mobo?

PC1122427.jpg

Those would be DDR2 Digi, what is needed is just plain old DDR.

It'll cost between $70 and $100 for 1GB of DDR-400.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for all the replys guys you've all been a big help :) Ive just been looking on overclockers.co.uk and there is ALOT of choices in terms of memory selection. On the meory section of that website is it the DDR memory that im looking at as an option or can i use DDR2 aswel?

Im looking for about 2gb of memory :)

And how many pins am i looking at? as that element of memory still confuse's me :(

Sorry I'm a bit late to this thread, but you might want to try Crucial's Website. If you use the "Scan My System" (it works in IE or downloads a little executable for Firefox), it will tell you what system you have, how much memory is installed (and in what configuration), and offers options as to what your upgrade paths are. Note that there are tickboxes at the bottom to show other (usually smaller) memory modules in case you want something outside their recommendations.

There is also a UK site for Crucial and they deliver very fast and arn't too expensive.

Sorry I'm a bit late to this thread, but you might want to try Crucial's Website. If you use the "Scan My System" (it works in IE or downloads a little executable for Firefox), it will tell you what system you have, how much memory is installed (and in what configuration), and offers options as to what your upgrade paths are. Note that there are tickboxes at the bottom to show other (usually smaller) memory modules in case you want something outside their recommendations.

There is also a UK site for Crucial and they deliver very fast and arn't too expensive.

It detected My memory and stuff but it did'nt detect my PC make and model so it could'nt advise me on the upgrade option's :(

Is this the TYPE of memory i need for my mobo? bog standard DDR? Will the 2GB package work with my mobo, if it does consider it ordered :)

Is this the TYPE of memory i need for my mobo? bog standard DDR? Will the 2GB package work with my mobo, if it does consider it ordered :)
How many dimms are installed on your motherboard. If its 1 dimm then you could just buy 1 1gig dimm DDR for a total of 1.5gig and should be just as good as 2 gig for 99% of the games out there. About any DDR PC3200/ DDR400 should work with your motherboard thats cas3 with 2.5V.

Back