Mass Effect: Andromeda [PC]

Oh yes overheating guns, that was fun !
I liked it way better than ammo clips.

ME was something different, it didn't draw too much from common trops/gameplay and that made it fresh and nice, unlike all other episodes.

The title is available at a discount (for a limited time) thanks to Amazon. Over on Amazon, the standard edition of Mass Effect: Andromeda is currently available at a discounted price to $39.99 on PS4 and Xbox One and $49.99 on PC, marking up to $20 off from the usual price across consoles and PC (and eligible for free shipping for non Prime members).

21 hours in, I start to liking it. I do a lot of non-essential missions, so I'm not very far in the main plot. I don't care about the other characters, like I cared about the one in the ME trilogy, but still it's growing on me.

Oh and, not a single crash. Which is nice.

http://blog.bioware.com/2017/05/09/mass-effect-andromeda-patch-1-06-notes/
ehh, kind of silly I had to do this twice in 2 separate threads. Ah well, it's not often I guess.
In this upcoming patch, we continued to improve our cinematic scenes, particularly in the opening hours of the game. In addition to enhanced performance and stability, we addressed a number of player-reported issues, including a bug that caused SAM to repeatedly tell Ryder they had received new email.

Because we don’t want players to miss any of the great side conversations with their crew, dialogue options will no longer appear “greyed out” if a character has more to say.

Those of you who have the Deluxe or Super Deluxe edition will also receive two custom Nomad skins, a new casual Pathfinder outfit, and an exclusive multiplayer pack with a high chance of receiving an ultra-rare item.

We also made changes to combat and multiplayer balance, which you can read about here.

A full list of fixes is below. For patch notes in other languages, click here.

whoosh.

Reminds me of the clunkiness of The Witcher 2 when it was first released and subsequent patches.

Too bad they don't just expose colour customization for the Nomad like they do for the player armour. Also a shame they don't even expose the material setting given the PBS. Even ME3 had a rudimentary setting for that.

So, finished the game, approx. 60 hours in. In the end, I'm mixed. The story and the characters grew on me, and I liked the story, it was fun to play. No it was not as epic as the ME 1 2 or 3, but it was not a bad game. And by the end, well, it was becoming epic.

BUT, like the latest Deus EX, I feel screwed. Those games NEED a sequel, or at least a big DLC, because a lot of plots are on going, and you have no answer. And I feel screwed because, with Bioware montreal going down, I doubt we will get one. I'm a sad panda now.

Last edited:
Long article and interesting to read but I still don't know what the real problem was. Probably it is the fact that the developers did not know exactly what they wanted. I also counted several bad points about this game in this thread.

To be honest, what I take from the whole story is that:

1 - Heads of Montreal and Edmonton studios engaged in a war of influence / pissing contest that hurt the efforts of pretty much everyone who was actually trying to make a game. These things usually end with one party sabotaging the work of the opposing party and vice-versa, and sounds like prime suspect of all the late-stage downgrades in scope and features. Things like these pretty much kill the morale of the developers who spent hundreds/thousands of hours into stuff that never saw the light of day.

2 - EA saw a game that just wasn't good and decided to release it anyway instead of giving the developers more time and resources to polish it. The ones who really seem to have failed here were the mock reviewers and focus groups who thought this would get an 80+ metascore, though.
It's bad enough that those animations somehow went gold (shouldn't Scrum Masters be able to see this coming from a mile away?), but it's bad^2 that mock reviewers didn't immediately pan the game to the ground as it was.
Given this outcome, EA really needs to rethink their QA procedures.

3 - In the end, Edmonton won the war. The actual result was a bad game being released, EA losing millions, Montreal studio going back to the role of DLC makers, people in Montreal losing their jobs, fans being disappointed and a successful franchise going into the drawer for several years or maybe forever.
But Edmonton came out seemingly unscathed, those guys definitely won this war.

I bought it on the recent sale on Origin and well, it feels unfinished, thats what I feel in every mission. Every mission, every place is set up well etc but they never polished anything. Characters says: "wow what a place" while what you see is a rudimentary scene which could be wow inducing if more time was spent on it. Feel the same about mission sequences, characters react as if something amazing is happening while what you see on screen is a basic placeholder kindof asset or event. I guess they had a really good game planned out but weren't allowed to finish it or could not finish it at all on time and it was thrown out half baked. Which is very sad considering DAI which came years ago feels so much more polished anc complete when compared to this. had they gotten the chance or whatever to do this well, this could have been a stellar game.

I am around 12 or 14 hours in and I see potential and a good concept/ideas everywhere but the actuals on screen is below average implementation.
Hope it gets better cos this year has had stellar games like Nier and its hard to keep going in a less than stellar game for long after such amazing games before that.

Oh yes overheating guns, that was fun !
I liked it way better than ammo clips.

ME was something different, it didn't draw too much from common trops/gameplay and that made it fresh and nice, unlike all other episodes.

...suppose as Drew Karpyshyn became less and less involved ,awkwardly, the tone changed into this :
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/EvilIsVisceral
Agree, the surgical / control freak antagonists were way preferable,guess they just don't have the expertise to produce crowd pleasers that way.

Had a lot of fun today now that the game has upped the action. hoping it stays this way. Just did some kindof Dungeon of Kett by going back to Prodomus on EOS and it was super fun and satisfying ! Also my armour looks cool now and my daughter's colour choices made it almost stand out like Destiny :D ! SPidermanish but still ... :pMass Effect Andromeda 06.23.2017 - 18.46.33.02.jpg Mass Effect Andromeda 06.23.2017 - 20.20.31.24.jpg Mass Effect Andromeda 06.23.2017 - 20.20.41.25.jpg

8.75/10 for the single player game from me, but ... MUUULLLTTIIIIPPPLLLAAYYYEEEERR </timestretch> is most fun I've had since UT2003!

Back