March was great for the Wii (in EU at least)

Corwin_B

Regular
I bought 4 Wii games this month, all 3rd party no less. Definitely no SW drought for the early days of the Wii. None of those games are "system sellers" in their own right, but I think they all belong to that class of "solid" releases that the GC lacked so much and that made the PS2 library so robust.

1) Sonic and the Secret Rings : a pretty good Sonic game, on rail design really shines for Sonic. Also one of the prettiest Wii games to date.

2) SSX Blur : unlike Ubisoft, EA seems to have understood what Wii is about. Instead of crappy PS2 ports with waggle tacked on, we get a pretty innovative take on the SSX gameplay, using the nunchuk to carve/tilt, and the Wiimote for tricks. The controls are far from dumbed down but very rewarding once you get used to them, and the game really takes some skill past the first easy parts. Good looking too, if not spectacular.

3) Dragon Ball Z Budokai Tenkaichi 2. DBZ BT is nice in that unlike most DBZ games it's not a Street Fighter clone with a button press for flying. it really implements 3D movement (think ZOE), in huge arenas. As such, fights really have an anime feeling to them. Just like SSX, the controls are not dumbed down in any way, but really good once they "click" (I had problems adapting to the first game on the PS2). As a special dorky bonus, executing the most powerful attacks (Kamehamea, for example) requires Wiimote/nunchuk gestures that mimic the fighter's signature moves. :cool:

4) Heatseeker. Just got this one this evening. At first, the PS2-level graphics hurt. Once you are flying, things get better. There's a lot of actiong and some good motion blur that helps with aliasing, plus the clouds and explosions look pretty decent. There are lots of options for controlling the planes, I chose using the nunchuk as a flight stick. Controls are simply excellent, and dogfights are a real treat.

April looks a bit quieter, though, with only Eledees on my personal radar. Trauma Center was pushed back to July in EU. :(

Do you have that much time to play at all? :D I mean four games in one month! I thought one game per month was already pretty crazy.

I dont like sonic. For some reason I never liked sonic games. SSX... i've got no word for this. Its such a goddamn annoing game full of stupid things. Especially the level design pisses me off. Its almost like its made to not to be fun. And the controlls are boring and bad except for the steering. I dont know about the other two games but I'm thinking about getting DBZ.

The game that really did suprise me this month though is the godfather. I didnt really thought it would be anything good but its really fun. The gfx really hurt a bit especially on the streets, insides buildings it decent. But the controlls are really good. Fun, easy and usefull motions. Strangling someone, beating someone with a stick, hitting and kicking people is just alot more fun because of the motions you are making.

Do you have that much time to play at all? :D I mean four games in one month! I thought one game per month was already pretty crazy.

That's 4 games for Wii. Not counting 360, DS, and PC... :p I do try to play them all, but I must admit I've a pretty large back catalog.

I thought the release of Punch Out was pretty awesome, too.
As I hyperboled about it a while ago, I today brushed the dust off an old ops2m disk with the Fight Night Round 2 demo on it, and I swear ... Punch Out is the best single-player boxing game ever, regardless of system or price. It's non-functional as a work-out, so that one point it must yield to Wii Sports, but as a video game, again, it's no contest.

Back